Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Bikes on an MX5 – anyone else doing this?
  • ericemel
    Free Member

I am trying to find a decent way of attaching bikes to my girlfirneds MX5, I have googled a bit, only really coming up with the Saris Bones.

Has anyone else got a solution or idea?

(I don’t want to have to get the bootlid resprayed…again…)

hora
    Free Member

Squares of helicopter tape with the Saris? There is another- sits ontop of a boot rack.

On solo jaunts I put the bike on the passenger seat (fork steerer removed out of frame) wheels ontop!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Get hold of Cynic- Al, he has one…

bauchlebastart
    Free Member

If it is the new model MX-5, be aware that the bootlid is aluminium and is more easily dented. Saris bones would leave marks on the bootlid as it did on my mates car

ericemel
    Free Member

Its a MK2 MX5 btw

Cheers for the replies so far

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Think mx5parts.co.uk do one specifically for the 5.

hora
    Free Member

I want a girlfriend who owns a MX5 😥

hosepipe
    Free Member

i had an old mx5, and a 35 quid halfords bike rack that sat on top of the bumper. took wife and my bikes ok, sometimes on 500 mile round trips. clipped under bumper (sometimes one would come off, so i constantly checked….but it wasn’t unsafe if one popped off), and clipped at back of boot lid and sides of boot lid. we were arrested and fined though in wales, for covering up brake lights and indicators etc. oops.

hora
    Free Member

I think the rear beam/chassis allows for a tow bar to be fitted. IF I get another (3rd!) MX5- I’ll be going down that route this time.

Trigger
    Free Member

I have a boot rack and lay the bike on it, strapped on with 3 elastic cords and using pipe insulation as padding between frame and boot rack. Fairly easy once you get the hang of balancing it while attaching….

Digimap
    Free Member

I used to use the old paddy hopkirk bike rack with the bottom bumper straps modified to hook onto the towing loops. Towbar electrics in the boot to keep it legal. Next time around I’d fit a removable westfalia towbar.

igm

hora – Member
    I want a girlfriend who owns a MX5 {/quote]

Just took my wife’s MX-5 in for a service – she was my girlfriend when we bought it. Does that count?

Del

mx5 forum

sorry – didn’t mean that you shouldn’t be asking here! 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

Dr North is a Mx5 (mk2) owner. I don’t own a car, so use this for transporting the bike.

Saris Bones for me. Sure, it does scratch the boot lid, so helicopter tape would be my proposed solution. It’s done plenty of miles around the country (with up to two HT MTBs, though usually just my road bike).

In fact, we’ll be driving down to Provence for me to ride the Étape du Tour in July….

pedalhead
    Free Member

You could get a boot-mounted luggage rack & an associated bike carrier to go on it. I’ve uses this combo on my MR2 for the past few years. Bit more expensive, but then you get a luggage rack out of the deal too.

SweetJumps
    Free Member

A bike on a roller skate; there’s a novel idea.

markd
    Free Member

Al has a wee metal rack that he uses on the boot lid.
    We got a Nomad and a Zesty on it in winter… with the roof down…. it was bloody cold and we didnt look like a pair of hairdressers. Much. If any. At all. Really.

Just use bungees!

BoardinBob

I used a £30 boot mounted carrier from Asda on my MGF (sorry) for years with no problems.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I have the MX5parts luggage rack and bike rack, bought sh. Nice in that the rack takes up to 40 kilos (most racks are 20kg IIRC) and with the bike on I can get a suitcase or similar on also. Or just get a cheaper rack and strap the bike to it (s’what I do for me bolt-thru fork bike).

I’ve never thought about using a std bike rack beyond feeling concerned about the stress the bottom legs would put on the bumper moulding.

I do fancy an elan M100 Se, the boot is much bigger (as is the HP curve)

eckinspain
    Free Member

i had an old mx5, and a 35 quid halfords bike rack that sat on top of the bumper. took wife and my bikes ok, sometimes on 500 mile round trips. clipped under bumper (sometimes one would come off, so i constantly checked….

you put your bike and your wife on a 35 quid Halfords rack? and sometimes one would come off?? well, at least you checked to see that your bike was still there…

DaveGr
    Free Member

Been carrying bikes on the back for 7 years. Current design is slightly different but in principle the same. Since 1998 cars have to be type approved with a tow bar so illegal to fit one to a Mk2 or 2.5, not sure about the mk 3.

Downsides – removing/fitting the boot rack (not bike rack part) is a bit of a pain so leave it on. Carrying the bikes over the boot does mark the boot over time – mud dropping off, small marks just taking them on /off. You can open the boot with a bike on but it does put a lot of weight on the boot lid when open. Locking the front fork to the carrier invalidates some fork warranties (pace and DT Swiss).

And still get 38mpg on a run to Wales with a bike on the back and the hood down 🙂

ericemel
    Free Member

cheers, I’d go for the luggage rack but she won’t let me

Saris bones it is and thanks for the tape tip!!!

snotrag

Yup, got a MK1.

If its just me, then I just put the bike inside.

As others have said though – there are mounts for a towbar under the chassis.

You do need type approval to TOW, but no to fit a towbar…
    However, I haver simply bought an old towbar mounted rack, and ripped the big clamp off it. Then I welded up a bar that fits to the rear chassis legs (where the tie down hooks would have been) under the bumper, out of sight. My rack then slots into a socket welded to this bar, male/female style. bigbolt and a split pin, job done.

No nasty towball sticking out when not in use, 2 minutes to fit.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Best 5 forum to ask in is MX5Nutz.com. Bunch of real nice guys and girls…

Think I’ll continue to use my Mondeo for carting bikes around in/on and leave my mk1 S-Special for pure fun.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Bikes on an MX5 – anyone else doing this?’ is closed to new replies.