Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Bike Rack Question. Yawn.
  • singlespeedstu

Looking to get a new rack and have narrowed it down to these two.

Thule

Strada

So any good /bad points that owners want to tell me about please?

Kuco

I've had various Thule racks, currently use a towball mounted Euro Classic and can highly recommend their stuff. Though if it's light mine it's not light but robust put two full on dh bikes on it and whizz up and down the motorway with out any trouble.

sheldona
    Free Member

They won't fit the back of the Jones

sofaking
    Free Member

i'd go for the heaviest one to offset the weight of the wok in the front seat

bassspine
    Free Member

I'm at the same point in my investigations. I cannot decide which way to go.
    For my purposes, 4 bike capacity is neccessary, the atera looks good, but the 4th bike has to be a short wheelbase one. So I'm less keen.

Aiston racks look good too, but I haven't had any reply from them from last week when I emailed.

Pendle sent me a catalogue instantly, their stuff looks good too.

singlespeedstu

sofaking – Member

i'd go for the heaviest one to offset the weight of the wok in the front seat

No Matt it's for my car not the Ayatollas. 🙄

sheldona
    Free Member

Exactly! That's why you need a heavy one! Phatty

singlespeedstu

Will you pair of Knights **** off from my sensible thread. 👿

Unless you have anything usefull to say. 😉

sheldona
    Free Member

Points and laughs at the Sumo kicking off. Ooooooooh sailor

singlespeedstu

Lifts heal in a slightly camp way then bows down to The 18 Stone King Of Woksmuggling that is the Ayatollahoftowelrails.

(Anyone with answers to the original post feel free to give you views.)

sofaking
    Free Member

Will you pair of Knights **** off from my sensible thread.

Unless you have anything usefull to say.

the amount of grief you give people on here day in day out, and now you expect them to be helpful to you. 👿

😀

DickBarton

I have 2 mates who have towbar racks…one has the Altera the other a Thule Euroclassic…both very good racks…I like the way the Altera slides out of way when you open the boot, the Thule sort of hinges and I don't think it is quite as good. I think both cost about the same and if it was my money I think I'd got for the Altera although both racks are very good…I just prefer the way it shifts out the way if you need to open the boot.

thekingofsweden

You should get the thule one cos its sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedish 😀
    Oh and also cos i might be able to get yo a deal

KoS

EdwardH

Slight hijack, does anyone know of a rack that can be attached onto the top of a trailer (my abysmal reversing bent a couple of wheels on bikes hung from a rear wheel bike rack)

Ben_mw

I've got the Thule one (actually bought it from the people you've linked to, very nice folk they seemed as well) and so far it's everything i was hoping for. Strong, easy to use and feels very secure. The fact that it doesn't slide away from the car hasn't presented any problems yet (Seat Altea XL (straight back) if that makes any difference). We havn't used the 4th bike adaptor as yet so can't really comment on that. The only downside so far is that it is all to easy to put it down on the rather delicate lights and plastic surround, sooner or later I'm going to break something, and I'm sure replacements won't be cheap!

DickBarton

Another mate has a set of roof bars and 3 (or 4) bike racks on his trailer…he can carry about 8 bikes on the outside of his vehicle if he is taking the trailer as well…only got room for 5 bodies but 8 bikes could be done.

EdwardH

DickBarton, I have been slowly comming to the conclusion that I would have to go the route of cobbling something together along those lines

singlespeedstu

Mmmm. Thanks for all the reply so far.

I was kind of swaying towards the Strada and as DB has been able to compare the two together it looks like that's what I'll be going for.

steveh

Aiston are the way forward. Give them a call and you'll get to know all you want. It's only 1 (fairly old) guy so the web/email isn't the best way to talk to them.

I've had pendle, aiston and used thule a bit and the aiston is the one i bought again when i needed to (sold the first one when i got a van) for the money they can't be beaten.

bassspine
    Free Member

steveh – Aiston racks: How many bikes did you carry? the website says you can vary the number of bikes it takes on the wheelmount rack, how does that work? I normally need to carry one bike but there's four people in the fambly…

BoardinBob

Bought a boot mounted rack for £20 from Asda about 5 years ago.

Still going strong and carries multiple bikes with ease.

Tracey

Got a Thule 903 with 4th bike fitting, very sturdy, has had a few trips to Alps with 4 bikes on and is used nearly every weekend in England

Tracey

bassspine
    Free Member

In the end I bought a pendle 4 bike with extra poles so I can use it as a 2 bike rack too.

Works brilliantly, but I can already see the advantages of the tilty-slidy thing that the Thule racks do. I'm just not sure if it would have been worth the extra £250 to do that.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Bike Rack Question. Yawn.’ is closed to new replies.