Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 323 total)
  • Bike Racing Doldrums…
  • Kryton57

In my second year of a ruined Training plan, caused by colds & chest infection, today being diagnosed with cough-variant and exercise variant Asthma as well, and being given an inhaler.

Looks like when this chest infection goes, the rest of the year I’ll be behind track despite achieving a target (finishing in the bunch) once, and now facing about 6 weeks before I try to train/achieve/prove it again.

I’m quite depressed about it. I know its a first world issue, and just needed to get it off my chest so to speak.

Sigh.

adsh
    Free Member

I’d be pissed too. Currently living in fear of illness stopping my winter base phase – there’s a lot of illness around.

Dare I say that you should adapt to survive. If fitness training and motor improvement are off the cards I’d suggest shifting your aims to XC and taking advantage of time not spent doing intervals to improve your skillz etc off road. Book a skillz course to cheer yourself up etc.

Kryton57

Sure, I’m racing Mud Sweat and gears as of March 1 and my hopes now are to have got better by then, by staying off the bike/turbo now.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Ugh, that sounds bloody frustrating. What does that mean in terms of the training you can do?

Kryton57

None is best.

To try to make this a short story – the now spotted part-time asthma was causuing coughing fits with effort/ in the cold and delaying the chest infection healing up. Now I have an inhaler to stop the fits, I need to rest and let the cold/chest infection go away.

Essentially, I’ll miss a crit tomorrow (I’ve only ridden 2 since 1st Jan), a base ride Sunday, and no training all next week. In theory I have Thetford winter series 4h on the 22nd but that could be at threat of bringing the chest infection back.

Then I have MSG on 1st March which is supposed to be a P2 target series for me, I’ll have lost 4 weeks trianing beforehand assuming I’m clear for that.

Not resting runs the risk of perpetuating the chest infection, I had 6 weeks of it already in Nov/Dec so my overall winter Training which WAS looking good has taken a big hit.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Would you be ok to do long low intensity stuff?

I guess you could take the opportunity to focus on some core/gym work too?

I try and keep it in perspective but it’s such a PITA though when you put so much effort into it. Lost most of Nov here with something I picked up from the kids.

Kryton57

Would you be ok to do long low intensity stuff?

I guess so. The two things I’m supposed to avoid is stressing my body/immune system, and wacking cold air down my lungs and exaggerating my cough.

I’m in a one week rest window on TrainerRoad so perhaps I could extend that ensuring I don’t go above Tempo.

mrblobby
    Free Member

At least it would keep the legs ticking over. Maybe double up on a Birch or Black, fairly low intensity but some variety.

Back for some winter CX maybe? 🙂

timb34
    Free Member

On the positive side, now you’ve got a proper diagnosis of the asthma your future training will be much more effective (instead of being constantly derailed by chest problems).

Assuming you’d planned more than one training cycle and peak then you haven’t lost a whole season and should be able to still have some good late-season performances.

If that doesn’t help then look at it as a test of your overall training plan – if you manage to get back to where you want to be later in the season (without thrashing yourself and getting injured obviously) then your training plan wasn’t as good as you thought and you can make a much better one for next year. On the other hand if you feel like you’re undertrained and underperforming all year then it’s a fantastic endorsement of your plan and you can do similar next year with a huge amount of confidence!

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Kids? Mine keep getting me ill, I need a winter retreat away from the little feckers!

Just knock it on the head and treat the Spring as your winter base and re-focus on races later in the season, it’s a vicious circle that’ll only piss you off. I tried to ride through illness at the end of last year chasing 3 points to move into Cat 3 ( 😳 we’ve all got goals, just some loftier than others…) and it’s just silly. Season is long and from the sounds of your previous posts there’s loads of racing!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Kids? Mine keep getting me ill, I need a winter retreat away from the little feckers!

You are not wrong. Spent most of last night mopping up vomit and runny poo. I fear the worst 🙁

brakes
    Free Member

Kids? Mine keep getting me ill

it seems to be particularly bad this year.

Kryton57

MrBlobby – Black or Birch looks good, might help me keep some weight off also.

Kids x 2

timb34 thanks for the positivity.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

It’s really frustrating. But illness can sometimes give you a rest which means you’ll be stronger later in the year. If you can target events a month or two later than planned, that can prevent it being a wasted year.

Still sucks at the time though 🙁

davidjey
    Free Member

Give yourself a break (literally and metaphorically) – sounds like you need to focus on getting back to 100% health first and then refocus on training. As others have wisely said, move your goals back to later in the year and see how you do then.

Remember, it’s only bicycle racing and not worth sacrificing your overall health for by training when you are sick.

EDIT: easier said than done I know, I’d be climbing the walls in your situation so hope you get back to full fitness soon.

rsvktm

Number of years ago broke a couple of ribs and had a few complications, compounded by me doing the first whinlatter challenge whilst damaged, this led to me being put on an inhaler and realising that I’ve always coughed hard when pushing. I would as others say concentrate on steady efforts and getting sorted. It is no hindrance having exercise induced ashma if corrected, I am fitter and stronger at mid 40’s than I’ve ever been.
    Very frustrating though but it will get sorted but don’t rush it, my cardio took a while to get sorted but legs are much stronger for it.
    Good luck

mtbtomo
    Free Member

What about some strength training with weights? Squats and lunges etc. Shouldn’t stress the aerobic system too much. Plus some core strength stuff.

I can’t believe the size of some guys calf muscles at crits – it can’t all be down to riding a bike!!?

bikebouy
    Free Member

That sounds shite Kyrton, but at least you have found a cause and now possibly a solution.

As has been mentioned I’d stop training aerobic and start focusing on core and strength, you know the sort of stuff only too well. Also don’t forget flexibility will you.

As for planned races, bin them. Accept they’re too close to where you are now. Ride fresh and happy late Spring with added motivation.

Happens to us all, I’m recovering having just had a 30cm chunk taken out of my stomach. My early season plans weren’t anywhere near yours but hey I’m focusing on other aspects rather than dwelling on one.

BOL.
    Don’t take it out on the Alfa 😆

bob_summers

Calf muscles are determined genetically if I’m not wrong – shape/size largely depends on the ‘anchor points’ and is why some body builders resort to implants when they don’t respond to training.

I’m currently on a downer with training this year. No illnesses (yet) but no time outside the weekends – I’m watching the guys I ride with leaving me behind now.

TiRed

Not racing tomorrow then? 🙁 Exercise induced asthma can be treated and now you have a TUE for a beta agonist. Take it easy, concentrate on lower intensity – I personally prefer the road for training, and see how it goes.

You’ve finished in the bunch, and can certainly continue to do so. The road season has barely started and there are races every Tuesday evening at Hillingdon. Reset your short-term goals and stop thrashing yourself (physically and metaphorically). I had a cold over Christmas that turned nasty – didn’t sit on a bike for two weeks. No great loss of form when racing restarted. You’ll carry that fitness through recovery.

FWIW, It looks like I shall have to bail from the last E123 Imperial Winter Series race (I’ve raced the previous 8/9) because Mrs Tired can’t take Teen 2 to Portsmouth for his open day as she has labarythitis. AND we are a tidily placed fourth overall with all to play for 😕 (except top spot, that’s gone already).

mrblobby
    Free Member

Happens to us all, I’m recovering having just had a 30cm chunk taken out of my stomach. My early season plans weren’t anywhere near yours but hey I’m focusing on other aspects rather than dwelling on one.

Flippin eck bikebouy, was that a planned op? Hope all is ok and you’re back out hacking on the TCX soon.

crosshair
    Free Member

I guess it depends on your mindset towards your racing. If you can’t bare to be out there unless it’s the best version of you, then I guess playing it safe and rescheduling your plan is the answer. Otherwise, you could always do the best you can in the meantime and cautiously race your target events regardless but accept you may have to ease off or drop out altogether depending on how you feel?

Kryton57

@ TiREd no, you neither then? I was really pissed off this morning but now – aided with a G&T – ive reset my goals / plan. I’m going to do nothing this weekend ‘crept watch the rugby – if I get bored I may dust of the kettlebells Sunday though and use them for some static weight core exercises with some stretches. I’ll restart low intensity for two weeks on Tuesday. I have a Powertap G3 on the way so hopefully in 2-3 weeks I’ll be able to start Trainerroad / harder rides again with that.

MSG has now become a training race certainly for the 2 in March, and as suggested my peak aim is July at the Bonty 24/12 hasn’t changed, but trying to get to Cat3 road might have to wait until next year – there’s still plenty of experience to be had this year as you say.

Crosshair it’s the former. I’m motivated by success and improvement so turning up and coming last / not finishing is very de motivating for me. I do have a Crit at cyclopark on 28th with lots of our club riders across different cats so I still may go, support them and have a try at my race as I’m there anyway and it’s the last of the day – depending on how I feel.

Haze

Hard efforts in the cold flared my asthma back up a couple of years ago, it had been largely dormant for years.

Using the preventer/brown inhaler regular has pretty much sorted it all out though, so long term you should get along fine.

Best of luck and take it easy for a while, doubt you’ll drop off all that much and there’s lots of time left yet.

TiRed

No race for me. Gutted. But I’ve had eight good races and finished consistently mid pack to top third (nil points!), not crashed and made one decisive break that set up a win (for a team mate).

I raced Cyclopark a week ago, and I know you have too. Unless you are feeling a lot better, go easy. This is a course that rewards racecraft. Hillingdon is power, but gravesend is made for breakaways (which I managed to get into). So take it easy for two weeks. You have the fitness already.

And come and do the Surrey League, I’m coaching the accreditation sessions for the next few weeks.

kimbers

my preseason enduro training was going well, done a couple of dh races to keep the skills razor sharp 😉 , some good long rides , even some interval stuff

6 weeks ago after an ace uplift at cwmcarn
    went over the bars on a curry run split my head and sprained my thumb

im hoprfully getting my 1st offroad ride in since then on sunday, and im still not sure my head and hand are up to it!

between this and family commitments and a house move that is supposed to have happened last year and will now probably mean I have to miss at least one race (as long as its not EWS!!!) im getting quite wound about it all!

OmarLittle
    Free Member

Dont feel too despondent, it is only February.

Traditionally this (and it is still the case for many racers) is the time of year for things like reliability rides rather than road racing, a bit of rest now could do you good a few months down the line.

schmiken

I will echo everyone else’s comments – DON’T START TRAINING AGAIN SOON! There’s a reason you’ve been told to take it easy, so do. Don’t think a gentle ride with friends will be that, if you need to ride do so by yourself to avoid picking up the pace. It’s better to rest and recover thoroughly now to be able to kick arse later in the season.

Or you could always start pushing yourself before you’ve recovered and ruin the whole of this year’s season with recurrent lung problems….

Be sensible, even Joe Friel says that issues will pop up so stay to your training plan is nigh on impossible. A resilient athlete is one that understands these things happen and changes the training plan to one that is appropriate. There is plenty of time to race – there’s still races in September and that’s 7 months away – you’ve got over 30 weeks of racing left on the calendar!

mrblobby
    Free Member

I keep reminding myself that at least there’s the cross season to aim for!

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Well that’s me on antibiotics! Cut my arm quite heavily at work the other day, seems it’s become infected, big puffy forearm now with a red streak up it towards the arm pit! It was nice watching the red slowly extend from my forearm to arm pit yesterday!! Riding home was interesting with every bump jolting my arm, I’ll join you in the down in the dumpness Kryton!

bikebouy
    Free Member

/hijack

mrblobby – Member
    Flippin eck bikebouy, was that a planned op? Hope all is ok and you’re back out hacking on the TCX soon.

Awe thanks for the concern, not a planned op no, something happened Thursday Eve and I had to go to A&E, they kept me in and surgery the day after once all the tests had been completed.

Bit sore, glad of the rest though 😆

I will be back out riding soon enough. Bikes have been stripped and cleaned ready, looking rather spotless has to be said. And for once in my life ALL my cycling kit is clean! Even run a second wash over the CX’er stuff I use just to get the embedded grime out of it 😆

/end of hijack/

😀

oldgit
    Free Member

I had the same in October. I didn’t realize what was wrong and thought I needed to work harder.
    It turned out I had a chest infection, and at the same time asthma caused by turning on dust old heating system and the introduction of two cats.
    I went shit shaped, abandoned a ride the first time ever and hobbled home.
    I was told to totally rest.
    Missed a huge chunk of my CX season.
    Lasted about ten weeks, inhaler and house adjustments have made it disappear. No need for the inhaler now.
    Racing again 1st march XC, then the 8th march road. Weight I put on is a problem though.

Haze

Preventer inhaler works really well for me, rarely reach for the blue one now.

Kryton57

Racing again 1st march XC

. Mud Sweat and Gears? I’ll see you there most likely. I might not be competitive as I want to be but if I’m well enough I’ll ride it to ensure I get series attendance for the league table.

Wishing you a speedy recovery bikebouy and monkeyfudger.

For the first time for a long time I’m having a gin & tonic on a Saturday night.

oldgit
    Free Member

Southern Series Black Park. I’m not up to scratch, far from it, but I’ll do these two to see how much I need to do to be ready for May.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Weight I put on is a problem though.

Toying with doing the southern xc this year or just doing the last of the Gorrick spring ones and picking it up again in the autumn. The weight I put on since last doing any will kill me though. Still time to crash diet? 😕

crosshair
    Free Member

Nah, you’ll only lose muscle. Just race yourself slim 😀

crosshair
    Free Member

I’m planning on racing Southern XC too 🙂

Kryton57

How is everyone doing?

For me two weeks off the bike has resulted in a 3lb weight gain – not bad – but im going stir crazy. I still have a slight cough/stuffy nose and sore throat but I’m on the way back and feel much better. I’ve done a 45 min and 1 HR z2 turbo with no ill effects.

Looking good for getting back into it next weekend.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Two weeks… I think that would end in divorce here as I’d be unbearable 😕 Had to have an easy one last week because of a flare up of an old ankle injury and that was bad enough. Since then it’s all been on the turbo so I can just hop off if it gets too bad. First ride out today and looking forward to it.

Good to hear things are improving though. Racing next weekend then?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 323 total)

The topic ‘Bike Racing Doldrums…’ is closed to new replies.