Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Bike luggable car
  • tinker-belle
    Free Member

All,

With the little one now only 15 weeks away, I really need to sell the Mazda MX5 and buy a cheap second car for lugging bikes and baby around.

I’ve been looking at Berlingo’s/Kangoo’s, older MPV’s etc, as it needs to be able to carry two bikes, clothing for 2 adults for a week away, and all the necessary baby bits for a week away.

So I come to you oh knowledgeable bunch requesting a glimpse on your wisdom on the subject.

coffeeking
    Free Member

😀 from the title I thought you were trying to tow a car with a bike 🙂

Depends whether you want to have to take wheels/seats off etc of course. If you want whole-bikes in there then you’re limited. If you’re willing to remove the front and maybe seat you have a vast array of options.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

We have a scenic, the car supermarket in Slough does some decent deals.

Many hate them, ours has been great. Now the kids are a little bigger there are 3 rear seats so we can bring a friend home. Also easy enough to take a seat out for putting bikes in. Lots of storage space & a very dinky second rear mirror so you can check on the little one while driving … very very useful as you are about to find out 🙂

DickBarton

Berlingo for sure…if you do go for one, I’d suggest the HDi engine as the standard diesel has no poke at all (but will get up to a fair lick if coaxed)…petrol engines are fine but not as economical as the diesels…I loved mine, when I get rid of my current vehicle I’m going to go back to a Berlingo but look at the new style one – slightly bigger (longer and wider) and more economical diesel engines…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Surely after an MX5 you would find Berlingo’s etc dull??

I know its not even remotely the same but Mondeo Estates can be bought very cheap and you get alot of car/space for your money and they drive well.

uplink
    Free Member

Not sure if you want to factor it in but …… from memory – the early Berlingos/Kangoos had lowish NCAP ratings for babies/young children

firestarter
    Free Member

ive just got a mondeo zetec 53 for 1800 nice car lots of toys . Takes three bikes and blokes inside. And my baby seats and double buggy easy when needed. Lots of cheap ones about due to alot of companies goin under and getting rid. I did have the estate before that but went for hatch this time as boot is huge anyway and i prefer hatch

tinker-belle
    Free Member

Thanks all for your responses…

Definitely not planning on towing a car with a bike – can only just power myself along at the momment… Bike is being packed away now 🙁

The NCAP rating ranks fairly high, and I do seem to recall some of the older cars did have pretty awful ratings

I’m happy to take the wheels off if need be, as long as there is space to put the wheels in the car as well.

What’s the hieght in a Mondeo like? DO you have to lie the bikes on their side or can you stand them up (without wheels of course)?

Spongebob
    Free Member

Give yourself a much wider choice of vehicles, get a roofbox and a bike rack!

Spongebob
    Free Member

Give yourself a much wider choice of vehicles, get a roofbox and a bike rack!

uplink
    Free Member

A Pug 307SW may be worth looking at if it fits your budget

skyhigh_71

Highly recommend Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi. Had one for 6 years with no issues. Great economy. Seats come right out of the back to make virtually a van. Pretty cheap now – lots of OK ones below 2K quid.

epicyclo

Espaces go cheap and really useful if you have kids.

chakaping
    Free Member

Mondeo with towbar and decent rear rack. You’ll never run out of space.

You don’t want bikes knocking around inside if there are kids in there too.

firestarter
    Free Member

my estate i could take off front wheel and drop saddle and have it stood in the hatch its lying down. Ive got roof bars now tho as it leaves my boot free

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Bike luggable car’ is closed to new replies.