Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 107 total)
  • Bike dilemas and PDS (Morzine) buying content… have some fun..
  • weeksy

Right lads…

Lets not be insulting any of the bikes/prices too much as they may be forum members… But…

I’ve been struggling to buy a short term replacement for the bionicon for the upcoming trip to Morzine. The long and short of it is that i didn’t gel with the Bionicon and maybe looking back in Hindsight i should have kept it for this trip, used it and then sold it when i got back here… However, i didn’t… so lets move right on past that…

so.. what to buy ? Time is short, money is OK and distance… well, i’ve got a life so i’m not driving to Scotland.

So feel free to comment/advise on what i’ve found as options and feel free to offer new and interesting ideas…

Feel free to also tell me to just use my XTC29er and pocket the money.

Ideally, the bike needs to have about the same residual value on it’s return (assuming here i don’t love the thing and keep it) so bear in mind it’s likely to be a short term answer.

Currently on my list is a SC Heckler..over on Br forum
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40089&t=12860385

A Giant Reign 1, he’ll let go for £700
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110897463048?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_758wt_1396

An FSR Expert in London
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280903754534?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1413

A Giant Reign 3 in Midhurst
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180906695522?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1413

And that’s about it really…

nickf
    Free Member

The Heckler, by a country mile.

mk1fan
    Free Member

All would fit the bill – a Giant Trance maybe a better bet over a Reign.

Which is the closest.

neninja
    Free Member

Based on the age and spec of them I’d 2nd the Heckler. As it’s so much newer it’s likely to be more reliable and it’s got a good fork on it.

weeksy

in distance, the Reign 1 is about 25-30 mins from me, bloke will sell at £700.

Bloke with the Heckler will come down in price.. but it’s still top end of what i ideally wanna pay… but does come with nice things like the High Rollers meaning i don’t need to worry, just buy it and go.

hora
    Free Member

2x SX trail frames in the classifieds or the 06 Enduro frame (also —->) would be my choice. Sell for the same money when you get back.

weeksy

i need more than a frame Hora… i’ve got spares in case of issues but i don’t have forks/wheels for 26’s.

cb

A ‘wanted’ ad might widen your choices

reggiegasket
    Free Member

there’s a bottlerocket on ebay…

weeksy

a wanted ad is up in wanted section already 🙂

Digger90
    Free Member

For Morzine you really want something with a bit more travel… a Reign X or Nomad would be better choices.

Anythign Santa Cruz, Turner hold values well… although if you’re only buying/selling within a month you should get most or all of your money back.

cb

The the HEckler

Reign 3 has attitude problems, Reign 1 scratched stanchion could make re-sale difficult and FSR has cheapness but not a lot else going for it

wrecker
    Free Member

Didn’t we do this exact question 4 days ago?
    IIRC you decided to ride the 29er.

kimbers

heckler

kayak23

I’ve owned both a Heckler(Slightly older one) and a Reign. I got rid of the Heckler as personally I found it a little flexy when wanged into hard corners and just a bit….meh.

The Reign was brilliant in virtually every way except the head angle was a tad steep perhaps and you had to take the cranks out to change the shock from air to coil which I do fairly often.
    I took the Reign to Morzine for two years and abused it in every way on UK uplifts etc as well as xc rides.

I sold the Reign and got a Mega…. Kind of wish I hadn’t really.
    Get the Reign 🙂

weeksy

Didn’t we do this exact question 4 days ago?
    IIRC you decided to ride the 29er.

sort of yes… .but then i’m sitting there thinking “is that really a good idea”

I have too much time on my hands/head and too much money in my pocket lol

binners

Got to be the Santa Cruz!! If only for its green-ness 😀

weeksy

I must admit i like the Greenness of the SC… But, i don’t mind the looks of the Giant either 🙂

Maybe i should shoot over, have a sit on the Giant and decide from there.

the only full bouncer i’ve got on with is my old Meta, even the Zesty i rode of my mates felt a bit ‘disjointed’ to me… like the front end feeling vague or seperate to the rest of the bike… Does that make sense to anyone else ? The Meta didn’t have that… i should have kept it in hindsight, but it was just a cracked frame waiting to happen and the timing was right to flog it on… (i guess).

dantsw13

When I was after a frame for an Alps build, everybody said Heckler. I got one, and LOVE it. It’s coming to morzine with me tomorrow!!!!! They are a little shorter than some bikes, but that just makes it playful!!

hora
    Free Member
    BoardinBob

Don’t know what your budget is as ebay’s blocked here so can’t see the prices of the bikes you listed, but I bought this for my 1st trip to Morzine last year

http://paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b4s1p2817

I absolutely love it. Granted I stuck a set of Lyriks on it and sold the ‘zocchis

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

Love my Regin X0 coming with me to PDS and a week of thrasing 😀

jambalaya
    Free Member

Heckler

I’ve done the PPdS twice on my Reign – those bikes would work. However, the Heckler I think is a bit more special, it’s newer and will be easy to re-sell afterwards IMO. I’m looking at the ad and thinking … maybe … !

weeksy

LOL i knew someone would be gazumping me on one or more… but hey ho.. it’s all good fun.

This has just come up on the classifieds…

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-intense-spider-2969er-frame

Intense Spider frame..

I’m fairly sure my Fox F29’s are just standard forks, nothing fangled due to the tapered headset ?

I could therefore whip all my bits off the Giant/spares, fit everything to the Spider, use that and make decisions… that way i still get to play on a 29er and i’ve been considering a 29er FS for a while now

weeksy

P.S….

He’ll take £950-1000 for the Heckler with some texting. lol

dan45a
    Free Member

I’ve always felt you need 160mm+ travel to enjoy the trails out there. Years ago I used Heckler with 140mm forks for 2 days in morzine and felt like my arms were dropping off. Went back to the rental shop and got a spicy with 160mm, made such a difference.

That enduro in the last post is a good one. But if thats over budget go for an older SX trial, bombproof and perfect for the alps.

weeksy

Were you riding some DH stuff though Dan ?

I can’t see us doing that… we’re over 40, fat and incompetent 🙂

reggiegasket
    Free Member

The ebay giants look tired, as does the FSR. The Heckler has sektors too which aren’t exactly All Mountain IME.

The pinkbike Enduro and Remedy look more promising to me. Both running Lyriks. Orange has a potential claim too (just can’t get over their looks though…)

batfink
    Free Member

I was tempted to say Heckler, but that enduro does look v-tempting….

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Camber needs better forks and kit. Otherwise fine.

weeksy

That’s RIGHT at the top of budget i must admit… well, the budget i WANT to spend anyway lol

hora
    Free Member

I’d put an offer on the Enduro.

dan45a
    Free Member

@weeksy – Yes mostly DH trials, nothing crazy, normally red graded. Its the braking bumps that get you…

Did a few XC loops when there last and the Heckler was perfect. As I live in Wales I ride up hills every day, when I’m in the alps I like you use the lifts 😉

I’m off out there in 2 weeks myself, looking forward to see what new trails have been added since 2008. I’m taking my Orange alpine, thats covers most types of trails and riding.

wrecker
    Free Member

I like the remedy. They ride brilliantly and that one have loads of upgrades; Formula brakes, renthal finishing kit, Crossmax SX wheels.
    Nice Lyriks on there. BOSH. I think you’d get the money back easily on that one, maybe even make a couple of quid if split AND he’ll take an offer.

weeksy

Have this offer from a mate.

Medium Orange Patriot.
    I paid 1,600 for it brand new in 2008. And then had the forks uprated from a shit pair of Nixons to the Fox Talas – they were 750 quid I believe – but a deal was cut.
    I also changes the brakes from Hayes to the hopes
    The whole drive chain has been replaced recently – it runs 3X9
    Thomson seat post
    spoon saddle

Pretty much immaculate.

hora
    Free Member

Great frames (Patriot) but nowhere near hold their money like the Five does so have a look at similar Patriots on pinkbike etc first and price accordingly. I don’t want to offend but I’d pay £750 max for that.

dantsw13

I’d say the Spesh Camber is a great UK trail centre bike, but a bit out of its depth in the Alps.

Heckler, Remedy, Enduro, Orange5/Patriot all great options.

wrecker
    Free Member

Heckler, Remedy, Enduro, Orange5/Patriot all great options.

He’s gone and bought a 29er 4″ XC bike.
    Why bother asking for advice if you’re going to ignore all of it?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘Bike dilemas and PDS (Morzine) buying content… have some fun..’ is closed to new replies.