Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Bike / caving light
  • timwillows
    Free Member

Anyone out there make a light that is suitable for bike use AND caving use? Really don’t want to spend out twice for similar lamps optimised for different markets

timwillows
    Free Member

Should have been a bit clearer:
    Caving – I want 700 to 100 lumens, head mounted, rechargeable battery, variable output, waterproof, tough
    Bike – 500-100 lumens, head or bar mount, rechargeable battery, variable output, waterproof, tough

honourablegeorge

Hope R4 comes with a real nice head mount thing, suspect it’d be right up your street, and a bunch of different modes.

cb

Can’t remember ever knowing the lumen output for caving lights – we tended to use carbide lamps with a Petzl or similar for back up. Surely you would need 5/6 hours plus for caving – not sure the ‘low’ settings on bike lights would give you enough light?

Its been a while tho…

Mister-P
    Free Member

Light & Motion Seca 800 might be of interest to you although maybe a touch too bright.

http://www.lightandmotion.com/sport/seca800.html

honourablegeorge

This thing:

Up to 8 hours on low power

timwillows
    Free Member

Cheers, both of those look interesting.
    cb – caving lights have really come on. I would guess a carbide system was about 30 lumen, the lights of 5 years ago we’re about 100 but people are now using some really bright lights and its a whole new experience. Probably want 100-200 most of the time and for 10 hours, with the ability to ramp p to 700+ to admire big passage

elaineanne
    Free Member

yeah when i first started mtb’ing about 3-4 years ago i regularly went caving so i strapped my Petzl caving lamp on me noggin…. tho it wasnt bright enuff really… the head lamp itself took about 6 small batteries…. was bright enuff down a cave cos its proper pitch black down under…. but when i went nite riding i was out longer hours and the batteries soon dimmed and didnt last long enuff… shame really…

Dave
    Free Member

Hope R4 is superb for caving, I’m testing one at the moment.

cb

For a few moments I actually got the urge to cave again…

One of the biggest arses in my day was the hassle with lights. I can see how leds will have altered the whole experience.

Where abouts do you cave timwillows?

creamegg
    Free Member

Dave… you haven’t been testing an R8 as well have you?

Dave
    Free Member

I’m waiting for one to arrive….

timwillows
    Free Member

cb – mostly go caving in Wales, so lots of light can be appreciated 🙂

elaineanne
    Free Member

and for you info i went caving in the yorkshire DALES……
    calf holes, and long churns was good….. then a few tight spots in settle… done quite alot round the Dales…havent been in a while tho…wtith all this rain we been having i guess alot of them will be to roof height nearly..lol

timwillows
    Free Member

Dave
    How is the R4 holding up after a few months caving?

RobinL

I use a Petzl Duo for caving and a Hope Vision 4 for biking, while there is a head mount with the Hope I wouldn’t dare risk taking the Hope caving. I often wonder how bright it would be but I suspect it would get battered very quickly.

StuF

there always smudge’s light from mtbbatteries.co.uk, it comes with a head band for your helmet or if you ask nicely he might be able to sort out a headband for use without a helmet

bencooper
    Free Member

700+ is pretty bright for a head torch – things like Stenlight and the Petzl Ultra are about 350 which is plenty bright enough for almost everything. You could take a hand torch – a Fenix TK40 or the like – if you need more illumination in the biggest chambers.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Bike / caving light’ is closed to new replies.