• This topic has 20 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Big up the NHS
  • Drac

I know it gets mixed feelings on here and yes of course I'm a little pro NHS but this last few days I've seen the work they do from a relatives point of view.

Outstanding is all I can say from the moment my father arrived at the GPs, the ambulances crews used 4 of them so far, A+E staff and utmost and foremost the HDU and CCU staff. The later 2 I have been amazed at, I've done placements in these units and of course work alongside the from time to time the last few days however I've seen just how hard they work. They never ever stop, constantly checking, monitoring, treating and pampering every need that my father needed yet the still have time to see to me and my family. They've helped with every whim they possibly can to aid us through this difficult time. But the treatment they gave has been fantastic not once did they give up, they went down the line of using drugs which on no longer used as often because the new traditional drugs weren't working, this helped but sadly because of the type of drugs caused some complications. However, they ceased the moment he was stable again and moved him by my boys and girls to the place you really want to be for cardiac problems, Freeman Road Hospital. It has a outstanding reputation for a very good reason within an hour they had a plan to help my Dad battle, he's along way to go but he's off the drugs that saved him but caused problems and has made it out of bed today, not bad considering he's arrested 24 time in the last 48 hours.

I salute the nurses of HDU/CCU you are the cream of the NHS and what the NHS is about looking after the truly ill without compromise. You should be proud of what you do.

Sorry folks I've rambled but home after 48 hours in hospital with my Dad and feeling a tad emotional. Sleep time now.

samuri
    Free Member

Totally agree. Although there are issues in places with the NHS I have nothing but immense admiration for the people who work there. Especially you Drac, body kissing admiration.

Hope your dad is better soon, it's a pretty shitty experience to go through.

skiprat
    Free Member

My other half is a nurse so know how hard they work. I get the tales of whats gone on that day (names withheld!!) and to be honest, i'm proud of what she does and the rest of the NHS.

Fingers crossed for your dad Drac, all the best.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

The NHS – people moan, but boy, when they turn it on they shine.
    Hope your old man's ok

Woody
    Free Member

Sorry to here about your Dad and wish him all the best and a speedy recovery m8.

Agree with your comments re Freeman (James Cook is equally impressive), although my experience there tends to be limited to the cath labs. Very comforting to know he is in good hands.

lowey

Superb. They dealt with my kids injuries and operations in such a faultless manner. The treatment they got was second to non and also made a right fuss of us parents too.

Fingers crossed for your Dad mate. Hope he's soon on the right road.

theboatman
    Free Member

Yep, another plus for the NHS here; pregnant wife admitted to labour ward as an emergency, constant monitoring from midwives/ medics, service seemless across a shift change. Emergency buzzer gets pressed and 7 of them come running into the room and they made an F1 pit crew look disorganised. Amber C section delivers my lovely baby daughter 43 minutes later. Follow up on maternity ward also spot on, staff couldn't have had more time for us, right down to the volunteer breast feeding folk. Sad thing is I know this service isn't replicated around the rest of the hospital.

northshoreniall

Sorry to hear about your dad, sounds like he's doing well especially with events of last 48hrs. I've worked in Freeman (itu nurse) and he couldnt be in better place. Know you in the job yourself but is truly terrifying when on other side, had same with my dad last year. If he's anything like mine your main job will be trying to stop him doing too much too soon now.
    Now get some well earned rest

Merlinman

This is what we all wanted to hear, Lee.

You know my feelings after my recent brushes – in the NHS we have something well worth investing in.

Drac

Thanks all. Yeah merlin you were justifiable happy too. Cool north don't suppose you met john davison from wd 29? And yeah have but respect for FRH the new PPCI procedure I'd amazing.

He wanted out of bed to eat his dinner but of course they let him.

Drac

Lol at my typing

project
    Free Member

Best wishes to your dad,may he make a good recovery,parts of the NHS are really good, sadly they are let down by a few poor managers.

northshoreniall

Recognise the name, been away from it for couple years now so all getting bit hazy, worked with Andy Irving on itu, he's ex paramedic, know him?. John may have heard of me sarcy Irish git who got sent home from NGH itu few year ago for having polka dot hair – aparently am now subject of F & G grade interview question.
    The latest cardiac stuff is phenominal and Freeman does some cutting edge stuff. Dad's what can you do with them! mine couldnt understand what all the fuss was about, with 90% and 100% occlusions on coronaries.
    Soon to be returning to the toon after 3 ear in exile in Fundee have to try to get out on northern ride once back.

carbon337
    Free Member

The Freeman were amazing with my mother in law when she had her heart attack, had one of those gauzes put in her artery within hours due to smoking/overweight. She was released with a couple of days all ok.

Woody
    Free Member

Drac –

Did you watch the PPCI? It's absolutely brilliant, especially the relief on the face of the patient when the flow starts again. Obviously 1000 x better when it's your Dad getting the successful procedure:D

SuperScale20
    Free Member

Best in the world have nothing to fault them 2 wonderful kids and a few nephew & nieces all perfectly healthy. We do have private healthcare but any thing serious you still have to go NHS.

I will say the service only seems to have got better over the last few years, I suppose things will change with new government.

Talkemada
    Free Member

God bless the NHS, and all who sail in her! 😀

Saved the lives of several friends/loved ones. Stitched me back together when I've been bitten, stabbed or suffered a kicking. And also when I've been a stupid little idiot and mutilated myself in some way or other.

NHS! NHS! NHS!

leftyboy
    Free Member

The NHS – people moan, but boy, when they turn it on they shine.

I can only agree, I've had cancer twice and without the excellent NHS treatment I received I wouldn't be here to type this!

The best part of the NHS is the people the worst part is the never ending battle they have to find enough money to treat everyone!

All IMHO of course 🙂

saladdodger
    Free Member

I agree with all your comments of the NHS it is a marvelous facility we have and it could be alot better if the red tape was removed, alas it is a system awash with red tape and a box ticking culture which wastes recources and senior managers forgets about the real reason it is there.

It is for all and when they are good by hell they are brilliant

Drac

Did you watch the PPCI? It's absolutely brilliant, especially the relief on the face of the patient when the flow starts again. Obviously 1000 x better when it's your Dad getting the successful procedure:D

Yeah seen it the first one I took down couple of years ago as flew him down with Boulmer, so I had the chance to watch the procedure. He came out and looked like a different person.

Drac

Oops thanks all for your comments.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Big up the NHS’ is closed to new replies.