Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • Best.Shorts.Ever.
  • mcboo
    Free Member

[/url]

OK lets get the price out of the way……they're £70.

I got a pair of these for commuting, mooching about town in summer, thought I'd treat myself. These are just about the most comfortable bit of clothing I have ever owned. Lovely lightweight material, stretchy, nicely cut……and most importantly they dont have huge bloody great side pockets and flap around and make me look like a 14yr old on a skateboard. Super comfortable over padded lycra.

Yes, theyre £70.

RealMan
    Free Member

HOW MUCH???

jon1973
    Free Member

I prefer my Enduros 😉

njee20
    Free Member

That doesn't include any sort of pad no? They're just a pair of 'overshorts'?

Another mark to Rapha for the pointless clothing with a silly price tag.

badnewz
    Free Member

I wear my fox blitz shorts pretty much all the time, on and off the bike.

speaker2animals

If I was working I would definitely get a pair of these. So much more stylish than the baggies sold for MTBing. On the other hand I bet Rapha largest size won't get round my tum. Not only do Rapha aim at the money no object crowd, they also only target those of the racing snake build.

rootes1

i think they look nice – who needs 12 pockets

speaker2animals

Meant to say, hoping that Shutt VR will produce a version. They may be the same price but are at least UK made.

woody2000

I wouldn't fancy them to last long MTBing! 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

I just don't 'get' Rapha. The quality of some of their stuff is dubious, so what are you paying for? If you walked into M&S and saw those for £70 would you be swooning over them?

If more expensive = a better product then so be it, and I can see merit in things like their bibshorts and their winter kit (I'm unlikely to buy any, but still), but not those.

hora
    Free Member

in 2001 My Kona Primo's were £70. Best £70 I spent. Why did they stop making them?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yeh I would agree with the OP. I use a pair of rapha touring shorts and they are very, very comfortable, great fit for those of us with a slimmer build and like most rapha stuff, they feel 'just right'. The waistband works very well as does the rear pocket.

The quality of some of their stuff is dubious, so what are you paying for?

Anything in particular? I've got a fair amount of rapha kit and not had any major issues with anything, drawcord snapped on my softshell jacket afte a couple of years use, which rapha replace foc.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Not for me I am afraid and I am also of the slimmer build – Just silly money thier stuff to be practicle for day to day use 🙂

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Best shorts ever for what – poncing around in down the tennis club?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Just silly money thier stuff to be practicle for day to day use

Everyone has different ideas on what they would consider to be 'silly money' though.

Best shorts ever for what – poncing around in down the tennis club?

Well I use mine for a 20 mile each way commute on the bike, however they would also work well for a trip to the polo club on the way home.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Gary_M true – point taken – But I certainly don't post up things regarding wages and affording expensive stuff theses days 😳

vinnyeh

I'd rather spend £70 on a pair of those and £15 on a pair of jeans than the other way round. Well made, versatile and understated kit. Rather spend the money with them than some inerchangable bit of tosh only differentiated by the label sewn on, whether it's Diesel/Fred Perry/D&G/Animal/Evisu/Ted Baker etc etc.

njee20
    Free Member

Well I use mine for a 20 mile each way commute on the bike

Wouldn't just wearing lycra shorts be more comfortable, and save you £70?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Look pretty decent to me.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>Well I use mine for a 20 mile each way commute on the bike, however they would also work well for a trip to the polo club on the way home. <

Swell. I'm into mountain biking 😉

alpinegirl
    Free Member

Actually, I think (for women anyway) the new Assos shorts are the best shorts ever. I have never ever felt so comfy on my bike.

alpinegirl
    Free Member

ps. when I click on the link they are shown at 80 pounds!?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Wouldn't just wearing lycra shorts be more comfortable, and save you £70?

I wear lycra underneath, and I'm not going in to the debate about wear 'baggies'. I prefer walking into the office with a bit more 'coverage'. And wearing the rapha shorts on top is no less comfortable that wearing lycra alone.

Swell. I'm into mountain biking

Well done you, I'm into cycling.

vinnyeh

ps. when I click on the link they are shown at 80 pounds!?

At a guess you're looking at the price in Euros?

rootes1

I'd rather spend £70 on a pair of those and £15 on a pair of jeans than the other way round. Well made, versatile and understated kit. Rather spend the money with them than some inerchangable bit of tosh only differentiated by the label sewn on, whether it's Diesel/Fred Perry/D&G/Animal/Evisu/Ted Baker etc etc.

yep real clothes in the sale and down tk max – spend money on bike stuff instead

bigrich

in 2001 My Kona Primo's were £70. Best £70 I spent. Why did they stop making them?

mine live on! (via the medium of multiple crotch repairs)

brassneck

Not only do Rapha aim at the money no object crowd, they also only target those of the racing snake build.

That makes me feel better 🙂

I am distinctly average in all regards – got bought a Rapha club jersey by work as a 10 year service gift. Yes, it's a large whilst most high street mediums are OK for me, but you get used to that with most roadie kit.. my fragile ego can just about handle it!

PS – it's lovely, the most comfortable thing I own. Pulled a thread mtb'ing on it though so it's obviously poor quality 😉

Pook

TK Maxx. £12. Pair of lycra shorts underneath. Happy days

Waderider
    Free Member

Endura MT500's. Thread closed.

rootes1

Endura MT500's. Thread closed.

in this weather? – sweaty arse

nickc

Friend of mine wears Rapha, and another has predominately Gore kit, both about the same price wise, and yet the friend in Gore isn't subjected to have as much criticism as the Rapha rider…

Personally i think their clothes are pretty good, it's all the "mole-skin shaving-kit-diary In a bag" a mere snip at £4500. that gets people's backs up…

allthepies
    Free Member

Fancy a pair of the "fixed" shorts myself http://www.rapha.cc/fixed-shorts-1

cookeaa

I’ll stick to the Royal Plus Forty’s I got last summer;
    No flappy cargo pockets either, close but comfortable fitting baggies can be worn off the bike without looking like a tool and best of all I got them for £25-ish..

Rapha stuff just looks like niche shite for fakengers, people with Job titles like “Online communications strategy manager”… Each to their own I suppose…

Best shorts Ever? Nah I do my own 20 mile commute in a pair of bibs that cost less than half that I enjoy walking into the office and seeing if any of my Female colleagues eye's "wander south"…

tamworthcrowd
    Free Member

Congrats, these are the most boring bike shorts ever.

Maloja Saga for me.

Gary_M
    Free Member

The fact that it annoys people is one of the things I love about rapha kit. I mean people getting annoyed about what other people wear, how very odd.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I wandered in here by mistake… I thought someone had resurrected the Friday Kylie thread…

HeatherBash
    Free Member

So, they are a possibly the best shorts ever for urban cycling.

Gary_M
    Free Member

So, they are a possibly the best shorts ever for urban cycling.

My commute takes in quite a bit of countryside, so you are incorrect….again.

Waderider
    Free Member

in this weather? – sweaty arse

About 15C and raining in Scotland. Real shorts for real mountain biking 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

But they add nothing at all to cycling, they make you less self-conscious walking into the office. that's what I don't get, some £2 Umbro shorts would achieve the same, pull them on before you walk in!

If they had a padded liner, like most baggies then I'd understand.

Pay me £70, I'll walk in wearing a mankini, distracting people from you in lycra!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Best.Shorts.Ever.’ is closed to new replies.