Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Best training for power ?
  • simonm
    Free Member

So I stumbled into racing the Steel City DH race next month… whats the best training to gets enough power in my legs to pedal and stand up for 3 mins on the bike..

Turbo trainer sprints ? Sking excercises ? its too late anyway so don’t bother just chill ?

cynic-al
    Free Member

1 month…net much you can do, just don’t tire yourself out.

xiphon
    Free Member

Learn to ride a bike fast downhill.

Having power in the legs is useless, unless you can use it when necessary – like powering out of corners…

njee20
    Free Member

I recommend going and practicing pedalling hard whilst standing up for 3 minutes…

You won’t make any meaningful differences now though.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

A turbo trainer, a laptop and a download of The Sufferfest ‘A Very Dark Place’ is what you need.

mogrim

Don’t think there’s a lot you can do in a month, but if you had more time I’d do short (hard!) intervals, and some weight training – squats, raises etc.

Whatever you do, make sure you don’t suddenly up your training and either a) injure yourself or b) turn up overtired to the race.

convert

Whilst you won’t be able to make much difference to your conditioning at this stage your can perfect your timing of your output and learn a little of what you are capable. Too much too soon is the usual issue – so it feels like you are giving it beans at the end but aren’t really.

simonm
    Free Member

thanks all,

basically screwed then.. thought so ! 1, cant ride fast.. 2, no fitness… ah well its the taking part that counts 😉

crotchrocket
    Free Member

remove the front brake?

Simon

You not been riding much?

simonm
    Free Member

only once a week… young family etc etc.

float
    Free Member

find the steepest hill you can and run up it until you cant walk. repeat every couple of days.

Simon

only once a week… young family etc etc.

It can be hard to find the time to ride. Only way I can get any extra riding in is to ride to work.
    I’m supposed to be getting fitter for the Mega, which is going OK but I’m struggling to find any 20 mile descents to practice on!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I spent last night with the local OS maps marking out all the local hill climbs of any note. Found 3 >300m climbs which I was plesently supprised by and loads of >200m.

My plan for the next few weeks is just get out and ride them! POWERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!

allthepies
    Free Member

A month seems like quite a bit of time to make a difference to me. I can’t tell you what exercises to do so though 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Best training for power ?’ is closed to new replies.