Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Best skills book?
  • xcentric
    Free Member

Recommendations for a decent skills/improve your riding book? Can cycle over around and through most things. But often by luck. Can’t jump, in control at least. What’s good to read to help, esp on long dark winter evenings when practising is not so easy….

chiefgrooveguru

Mastering Mountain Bike Skills II – bloody brilliant!

toons
    Free Member

+1

xcentric
    Free Member

Ordered, ta!

jedi

books depend on whether you learn visually 🙂
    i dont

skywalker
    Free Member

books depend on whether you learn visually

Does that mean some people find it hard to take in what they have read and benefit more from being shown how its done?

jedi

yeah some need to hear it, some need to watch it, others need to try it

colournoise

jedi – Member
    yeah some need to hear it, some need to watch it, others need to see it

Don’t forget some need to do it (or try to do it). Three main learning styles.

Auditory.
    Visual.
    Kinaesthetic.

Most people can take info in using all three, but have one dominant one. Trick is finding out which is their preferred one and keying into that.

But then you knew that.

Anyway, yeah, the Lopes book is meant to be pretty good as a visual starting point.

slainte ➡ rob

woodsman
    Free Member

Ahh that’ll be NLP then…. 🙂

colournoise

Isn’t NLP more about therapy than learning styles?

slainte ❓ rob

Ringo
    Free Member

I got one of them lopes books useless going cheap if anyone wants it

hilldodger
    Free Member

I found the Lopes book an interesting and useful read – it may not make you a riding god but does isolate points for you to think about in your technique, the explanations are clear with useful illustrations…

…Also has the added bonus letting you play ‘BL Bingo’ on threads asking for technical advice

Bagstard
    Free Member

My favourite chapter is about riding in mud, something along the lines of “I don’t like mud, that’s why I live in california!” 🙄

mrblobby
    Free Member

Really liked the Lopes book. Though you can think you’re doing what it says in the book but not be doing it quite right, or not doing enough of it, or too little of it. Can’t beat the feedback you get from having someone who knows what to do watching your riding.

druff
    Free Member

As Jedi said, people take in information differently, and what he refers to is NLP. I’ve worked with a lot of NLP practitioners in my time and I can safely say that the times I’ve visited Jedi, he’s not come across as somebody who is practising – instead somebody who is enthusiastic about seeing people progress in their riding and very adept at identify how they take information on board which allows him to do the fantastic stuff he does to peoples’ riding.

colournoise – you’re right, NLP is more about providing people with another way to look at things – some might think that it’s more therapy related.

David Kolb is well known within the adult learning space and cites the Lewin Cycle as the one that adults learn best from (the Open University bases its courses on this style of learning). The Lewin Cycle starts with concrete experience suggesting that adults learn by doing. That in conjunction with Tony’s skills Jedi or otherwise are in my opinion what make the coaching route, and his in particular, so effective.

jedi

kind words druff 🙂

Burls72
    Free Member

Ringo – ygm

xcentric
    Free Member

just to say that the Lopes book recommendation is a good one – if you can survive the language – swueeeeet! – in it 🙂

would recommend it onwards…..

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Best skills book?’ is closed to new replies.