Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Best light for £150ish
  • Monkeeknutz
    Free Member

Any recommendations? I’ve used a DX £50 job for a year but it’s giving up the ghost so what to replace it with? Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks

Ewan
    Free Member

Another DX light?

50 quid a year seems pretty good value… I wouldn’t have thought that any other light for 150 quid will offer better reliablity – it’ll just come out of the same/different factory in China.

Monkeeknutz
    Free Member

I was having look at an ay-up set, they seem a bit better for the extra ton. But you may be right, another dx although it’s not been that heavily used and the button has broken meaning it’s only on or off and I don’t want to have to order one every 12 months, the economics don’t look good!

RealMan
    Free Member

joystick

montylikesbeer

2 x DX lights, job done

beargotsoul

For a little more, Diablo

trickydisco
    Free Member

The fireball from spokeshirts

I bought this a few months ago and previously ran the airbike p7 (claimed 700 lumens) this thing blows it right out of the water. full setting is unreal at 1100 lumens (and this was tested by mtbr to be accurate)

hilldodger
    Free Member

Spokeshirts do a couple of good looking lights for that budget
    http://www.spokeshirts.co.uk/shop-2/

EDIT – too slow 😕

Cheeks
    Free Member

+1 for the Fireball, powerfull and awesome light spread, use the helmet mount, usually only need to run it on 50%.

surazal
    Free Member

£150? 2x “900 lumen” P7 DX (or similar) lights, one bar mounted, one helmet mounted.

motivforz
    Free Member

£50 a year good value? Really?
    I bought a hope vision 2 18 months ago for £150, I would hope it would last at least another 18 months!

Trout appears to be offering a DIY kit, not sure if you could add batteries/charger and get a unit for £150, but you might be able to? That’s where my money would be going probably.

If you want a complete unit, the spokeshirts as above? Supposed to be good service and a good product by the reviews on here.

Inbred456
    Free Member

I got the new Exposure Toro Mk2, 3 XPG’s giving 900Lmns for 3hrs on full power and no cables. Rutland have these for 199.00 inc free postage. I know its dear but its a good system. That Spokeshirts light looks good value.

Monkeeknutz
    Free Member

Thanks all. I’m not sure I’m going back down the DX route, I just don’t think they’re very robust and £50 a year seems a bit steep when I could buy a light that will last and last (within reason etc).

Some great ideas that I’ll look at but does anyone have any experience of the Ay-Ups and particularly ordering from Australia?

jet26
    Free Member

Joysticks are 99 quid at moment at lex’s bikes (they do stuff over web)

Worth a look?

No I don’t work there…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

You can get the Fireball from http://www.lightandgo.com/ for £80 its the same light as spoke shirts and nearly half the price, I guess it depends how important one year warranty is to you.

or there is a more powerful 1400 lumen Foride for £92.

Its possible to do Trouts DIY 1800 lumen light for £110 if your happy to buy a battery from Ebay.

k-sugden
    Free Member

Hi these are good value I have a set no complaints http://www.ledgendlights.co.uk/html/quad.html

jimjam
    Free Member

Very impressed with my Diablo. Picked it up for £165ish iirc. 110 grams. 900 lumens (and genuinely 900 as opposed to grossly inflated claims).

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

4fourth do one for £200 that looks ace, mainly because its tiny compared to most others but still twice as bright as the magicshine.

I’ll probably get one when my bastid packs up.

beargotsoul

A friend of mine has some Ay-ups excellent light, they now have a UK distributer again so no need to order from Australia.

almightydutch
    Free Member

Another one for http://www.ledgendlights.co.uk/html/quad.html

Its awesome, way better than my mates Nukeproof setup at nearly double the price.

Goes without saying it outshines the DX versions easily

Ewan
    Free Member

£50 a year good value? Really?
    I bought a hope vision 2 18 months ago for £150, I would hope it would last at least another 18 months!

Trout appears to be offering a DIY kit, not sure if you could add batteries/charger and get a unit for £150, but you might be able to? That’s where my money would be going probably.

If you want a complete unit, the spokeshirts as above? Supposed to be good service and a good product by the reviews on here.

Well the Hope is a quarter as bright as the DX, if you’ve only spent 50 quid on a light it’s easier to bring yourself to buy a new one.

BTW, you realise that the Spokes light is the same as the DX one don’t you? It’s not going to be any more reliable just because it’s been brought into the UK and resold… obviously service backup *may* be better, but everyone I know who’s sent a DX light back has had no problems (just needs to show a photo of proof of postage and they send a new one out).

On a seperate point, I don’t think price equates to quality or reliablity. Out of the 30 odd people I do regular night rides with more people have sent back USE lights than DX ones.

jturn71

I’ve just pushed the button on a new Lumicycle, paid £200 reduced from £275 😀

Had a set of Ayups on helmet (spot beam) for last 2 years & can’t fault them. My magicshine just died after 5 months, suppose you get what you pay for!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Best light for £150ish’ is closed to new replies.