Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Best (If possible) full suss for a grand???
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Sis in law has finally succumbed and let bro in law have a new bike. It’s for his birthday but ive suggested it’s dodgy just going out and buying him a bike hes never been sized against. Anyhow, anyone seen anything good for basically a grand, she won’t budge any further on the price I reckon. Thanks in advance.

neninja
    Free Member

Depending on what riding he’s doing but I’d look at 2nd hand bikes.

You could get a fairly new Giant Anthem, Trance etc for that money or alternatively a new Boardman FS.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Tried explaining this, he rode mine a few months back and “had the grin” immediately, problem is his mrs is a tight fecker. Shes also after something on finance so new is probably the only way to go. Some lovely bargains if you don’t mind it being pre owned!

TheFopster
    Free Member

Can’t see how you’d do better than a Boardman – even if you upped the budget a few hundred quid. Fantastic value…

the-muffin-man

Boardman always seem to get the best reviews for that money.

If his other half really is tight though, how will she feel when suspension bushings, bearings and rear shock need servicing!! A hardtail may be more cost effective long term.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, Boardman or Giant are the only choices at that budget.

Second hand opens up both good and bad possibilities…

RustyMac

For a grand look at the Bordman Team FS and the VooDoo Canzo at halfords great spec for the money.

For a bit more look at the VooDoo Zobop and Canyon Bikes Nerve XC 5 (120mm of travel) or AM 5 (140mm travel).

Mike_D
    Free Member

Yep, Boardman or Giant are the only choices at that budget.

Cheapest Anthem is £1,400…

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

My LBS has (I think) Saracen Ariels in for a grand…

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Thought so: http://www.ukbikesdepot.com/m15b0s1p4109/SARACEN_Ariel_1_Mens_Full_Suspension_Mountain_Bike_2010

Absolute bargain for that price. Top reviews etc – I’d get that over a Boardman/Voodoo any day.

dingabell
    Free Member

Have a look on Pauls Cycles website. Seem to be some really good deals on there.

CaptJon
    Free Member

What a tight cow only willing to spend a grand…

TheFlyingOx

I know somewhere with Zesty 214s at not too much over your grand price range.

Neil-F
    Free Member

At £999, I just would look any further than that ^ Saracen! 😀

They’re selling the 2011 frame only for £899!

Nonsense
    Free Member

Got to be that Saracen. Fantastic deal. Or this Canyon

BoardinBob

At £999, I just would look any further than that ^ Saracen!

They’re selling the 2011 frame only for £899!

The black rear end makes it look like a cheap halfords special though 🙁

trailmonkey

oh dear, that’ll really spoil the ride.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Phoned up about the Saracen, got some lovely kit on it for the price. Just need to persuade her ladyship. Cheers folks for the advice.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

My lbs, Sprockets in Kilmarnock, have a Lapierre zesty for 1200 iirc. Google them, may be on the website.

binners

I presume she’s aware that the initial purchase is merely a gateway drug.

I also trust, to this end, you’ve briefed your bro with regards to The Rules: Always buy bling that’s the same colour as the non-bling parts they are replacing. No deviations on this I’m afraid. If in doubt, have it delivered to work. Under no circumstances reveal the true price of any item.

I don’t have to do this, seeing as my beloved’s bike now sports better parts than mine*, but something tells me this isn’t going to be the case here. Book him in for a briefing and then introduce him to CRC and the whole concept of impulse purchases 😀

Oh… and if it was my money, I’d be looking at something pre-loved. Does he know Hora?

*some of which I covet, but that’s for another thread

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Best (If possible) full suss for a grand???’ is closed to new replies.