Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • Best dog for running ?
  • surfer
    Free Member

I have a lovely Lakeland terrier, much loved family dog and mad as a bucket of frogs but she doesnt really enjoy running in the sense that she doesnt really like coming for runs. She enjoys running around wildly on “walks” etc
    I do lots of running and enjoy running in the hills occasionally plus we have a lot of off road places locally (Wirral)that I do a lot of training on, golf courses, paths, bridleways etc so I often link up longish runs pretty much all off road so it would be good to have some company.

Anyone have a Cocker Spaniel and give any info?

jam-bo

Collie cross something

julioflo
    Free Member

Not sure he is the ‘best’ dog for running, but I have a Border Terrier and he loves running with me. He seems to switch into a different mindset when on a run. A no dicking about keep with the pack mentality. But only if i’m moving fast enough.

Not sure if this is normal for the breed, as he does have days when he just doesn’t want to go….

footflaps

as he does have days when he just doesn’t want to go….

Don’t we all!

Clong
    Free Member

Aye, i’ve just taken on a “recycled” bearded collie cross something or another. On the lead at walking pace he is always shoving his nose into stuff. Start running though and he seems to 100% focus on running. This seems fairly typical of collies though, i looked after a couple of border collies that do the same thing.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Used to have a bearded collie–thought she’d make a great running buddy … but she turned out to be agoraphobic 🙄
    So maybe not one of them then 🙂

iolo
    Free Member

You want to change the Lakeland for a Cocker?

DezB
    Free Member

I reckon it would be easier to ask which dogs aren’t suitable! The majority of breeds would love to go running at man-speed for their “walks”. I know my GSP would.

chojin
    Free Member

A chihuahua.

Put it in your man bag and go for a run.

baby
    Free Member

The majority of breeds would love to go running at man-speed for their “walks”.

Yep. My wired hair fox terrier loves going for a run. She’s got about 5k in her at 5min/km pace. Quite important that she’s near water though as after about 2k she starts to overheat.

loddrik
    Free Member

You want to change the Lakeland for a Cocker?

Dog trade ins. I like it!

singlecrack
    Free Member

I’ve a springer spaniel ……….he never has days where ….he just doesn’t want to 😆

iolo
    Free Member

I’m still unsure about this.
    Is the OP looking to trade the current dog in for a running one?

yorlin
    Free Member

I think he’s looking to get a new one (a 29er if you will).

He’s going to keep the old one for spares.

ffej
    Free Member

My springer loves running with me, but I wouldn’t want to run her too far in the summer as I’d worry about her overheating without her regular dips into the nearest stream / the sea.

J

Pieface

Collie’s and Border Terrier’s seem to be the stock running dog

mightymule
    Free Member

Staffie.

I had a Staffie/Pit cross, and she would have been happy to run non stop for about 18 hours a day. Exhausting dog! 😀

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Get a husky..boy they love to run.. Question is if you can keep up 😀

jp-t853

I used to do a lot of fell running with a large whippet almost lurcher size and she loved it. Boxers make good running dogs but they don’t live very long.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Collie
    Threrad closed

yorlin
    Free Member

wolfenstein – Member
    Get a husky..boy they love to run.. Question is if you can keep up

Actually, I nearly got a husky as a rescue dog – I was reliably informed that they have a bad habit of eating smaller dogs if they get too hungry!

In the end we got a collie/german shepherd cross, she’s a bit too old for running any distance, but she makes up for it shedding fur. Very intelligent too!

Edit – they look amazing though, the cross puppies are cute
    http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/search/default.aspx?searchString=husky#.UjM8SGTXg3n

seadog101

I know nothing of dogs, but surely a greyhound would be ace?

bruk

Lots of dogs would be suitable, what else do you want from it and how big do you want it to be?

Dalmatian are bred for running alongside carriages so can be good, otherwise collies, pointers, anything that is trainable and of normal size ie not too big or small should be ok

emac65
    Free Member

Used to have a Boxer bitch that would run all day,full of life.have now got a male Boxer who is the laziest dog I’ve ever known,he hates running & is happy with one walk a day & to sleep the rest of it..

Like people,they’re all different

surfer
    Free Member

I think he’s looking to get a new one (a 29er if you will).

He’s going to keep the old one for spares.

Bloody hell you turn your back for a few minutes and:

I’m still unsure about this.
    Is the OP looking to trade the current dog in for a running one?

She’s our much loved dopey pet! she may be “as thick as a coffee house cup” but we did plan on keeping her!!

Not all dogs are good “running” dogs Daisy Duke has re-homed a couple of ex racing Greyhounds and they are pretty uninterested. Few laps of the field at 30mph then sleep for the rest of the day. Also Border terriers can be hit and miss, some great and willing runners others not.
    Cockers seem to be a good mix of energy, stamina and willingness plus good temperament and size.

Like people,they’re all different

Thats what I think but Cockers seem to be full of beans without exception

what else do you want from it and how big do you want it to be?

Cocker size 🙂 no bigger really. Just want it as a pet and running partner and something else to give me grief and eat me out of house and home!

retrogirl
    Free Member

I have run with my friends labrador a few times. she would happily trot alongside me. However shes old now so her running days are over she prefers a nice leisurely walk instead. I had a retriever who I loved to bits but was hopeless as a trail running dog as he preferred to explore and sniff about instead. If you go to park run there are people there with dogs a few were terriers

iolo
    Free Member

That’s good news 😆

I have see so many people treat their pet as a replaceable commodity, willing to get rid at the drop of the hat.
    Just one look on Facebook and there’s 5 on there now for sale.
    This kind of behaviour boils my blood.
    A dog is for life not just for Christmas and all that.

bruk

Working cocker should be good as would a small Sprocker.

If you can’t find one then you are looking at terriers and the disadvantage of those is their desire to disappear down a rabbit hole occasionally. Pick something with decent leg length and slim build like a Patterdale or Parsons Jack Russell and you will get the grief bit too or have an extra long run when they bugger off and you try and catch them!

peajay

Staffie here, loves going for a run and always sticks close by,

anagallis_arvensis

I know nothing of dogs, but surely a greyhound would be ace?

No it would trot a few hundred yards then fancy a lie down. Most reasonable dogs ie not a pug will out run most people I would imagine. Springers might want to hunt up a bit much maybe? Collies make poor pets imo.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Get a rescue trailhound that has been retired. You will never tire one of those out.

http://trailhoundwelfare.org.uk/

irelanst
    Free Member

Our Beagle x Cocker will run all day at whatever pace I can manage, she does need constant talking to though or she’ll be off following her nose.

brakes
    Free Member

what about the best run for dogging?

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member
    yunki
    Free Member

bettyswollocks
    Free Member

I take this daft creature when I go out either running or biking. She’ll happily do over 20 miles.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Dalmatian, originally breed for running alongside horse and carriages. If trained properly and their fitness was built up going out with someone for a jog would be a walk inthe park I’d imagine.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I think most dogs can run.

stu1972
    Free Member

Not a dog owner but was impressed when I overtook a Staffie on a downhill section. The dog even had the etiquette to pull to one side as I passed him on the straight. He was haulin’ ass, I overtook him at over 30 odd mph IIRC.

I remember thinking to myself If I was going to get a dog it would be a Staffie

surfer
    Free Member

I think most dogs can run.

Great contribution 🙄

Does anyone have a Cocker and take it running???

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Best dog for running ?’ is closed to new replies.