Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • Best dog for running ?
  • neilc1881
    Free Member

IMAG1144 by neil.d.cox, on Flickr
    These will be making good running and biking companions before too long. Collie Kelpie X. Good hard pads so even tearing down fire roads doesn’t bother their mother (in moderation! I worry her legs will fall off the speeds she can manage!). Still a couple of pups left if anyone is tempted 😉

onehundredthidiot

Mine has a bit of staffie and a bit of lurcher/whippet in the mix. will do 20 miles and tops out at something like 25mph (doesn’t like being overtaken).

anagallis_arvensis

Collie Kelpie X

no thanks, I don’t want a dog that’s smarter than me!!

Fresh Goods Friday 697 - The Sprunnng! Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 697 - The Sprunn...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    julesf7
    Free Member

We have a working Springer for running and all other duties. Incredibly focussed on the boss, whichever one of us is taking him out, and therefore very biddable. He runs an average of 90 mins a day at around a 7min/mile, just back from Corrour Estate where we did a 20 mile trail run. He was fine for it, if a little tired, although admittedly less than me 😕

chojin
    Free Member

Has anyone ever strapped a GPS device to a dog?

Canine Strava anyone?

redben

I have a parsons jack Russell that will happily run +3hrs with me at a fairly fast pace;)
    Running alongside the bike is abit too fast for her and she only lasts about 90 mins 🙁

vondally
    Free Member

Ex Dalmatian Owner here (hence the name)and collie both great for running and biking

Dally was able to run all day BUT they need to be properly trained ours was and possible the best house dog I have ever owned…when biking fine till a smell of something dead…..gone like a bisto kid to find it.
    THey need to be active and then crash then active
    Dallys have a pace that is impossible they just maintain it for hours

Collie was a good dog but not a great bike dog or for us running just, have friends with collies who are fell runners and they think they are the best and farmer friends who can testify for the mileage they can put in

Both breed of dogs need to be active and well trained and you need to build up slowly to avoid joint damage.

haggis1978

Never heard of huskies eating other smaller dogs before lol absolute rubbish I think, only thing mine used to savage other than his dinner was just about every inanimate object in the house. Shoes, DVDs, jeans! Nothing is safe from a husky. Run like the wind though and would do it all day long, that’s what they’re bred for.

sutty
    Free Member

Got two American akitas & they love running but have to keep them on a lead coz they will kill & eat anything small ! All Spitz breeds tend to have this wolf like instinct / trait so should never be let off the lead unfortunately !
    Had a jack Russell x poodle as a kid & it run all day so I’d say get a terrier, loads of energy with a great personality 😉

Dales_rider
    Free Member

A point of interest most will nothave thought about, get a light dog the twice I had to carry my dog of the fells I’m glad I did

waveydave
    Free Member

My Jack is 9 years old now, so biking for him is over. He is a lab x with collie and hunterway. Really bright, easy to train, at his peak 30 miles no probs. you need a dog that aint gonna get tangled in other riders/runners legs and wheels. At the top of descents he would always hang back and run behind. At the top of climbs we would stop let everyone catch up, Jack would get excited and whine because he was eager to get running again. Would avoid running a dog hard until its 2years old and fully developed, joints are soft until 18months old.

petrieboy

Don’t muck about, get an irondog. Always ready for training whatever the distance and whatever the weather[IMG]http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i164/petrieboy/IMG_289869188721450_zps67e5ef06.jpg[/IMG]

Sandwich

Dalmatians can be a tad variable as running dogs. My first would go 8mph all day following a wheel if I let him. The next two weren’t interested. The current one will run but he has the hunting gene (originally hunting dogs in Dalmatia, the gentry bred the running by carriages into them) and he’ll be off after anything small and fluffy/feathery given the chance. Or paddling in the river, puddle, sea.

He doesn’t like electric fences either, £95 bed and board charge from the dog warden after he ran off after the second hit!!

bigblackheinoustoe
    Free Member

This one helped me train for a half marathon…..

….he wasn’t mine but it was a dog I was looking after whilst the owners were on holiday.

robbieh
    Free Member

Any of you ever killed a dog from making it run too fast and long so it did,nt get left behind? We.ve had lurchers for over 30 yrs and when working them NEVER made then work as hard as some of you seem proud to be doing!

bearnecessities

Just checking, are you suggesting a bunch of middle aged internet dwellers that drink blonde beers and work in IT, exercise to a level that would kill a dog?

robbieh
    Free Member

Well, I suppose no one would actually admit that thinking about it, blame it on something else.

waveydave
    Free Member

Ive never killed a dog exercising it

Sandwich

10 miles tops for the run all day dog. The current one did 2 lots of 5 miles, 3 times a week (up until the fence incident, we’re rebuilding confidence slowly). I dawdle when out with the dog.
    Lurchers tend to be short effort hounds, unless they are walked loads every day like my sisters do/did. She is a walker for hire and the dog is a help with the group. The old one is retired now, the young one is fitter than Armstrong on EPO.

ART

Still a couple of pups left if anyone is tempted

Why, oh why did you say that. Kelpie/ Kelpie X dogs have been coming top of my ‘potential hounds for our home’ list. Is it a one off brood or are there likely to be more?

epicyclo

Blue Heeler

julesf7
    Free Member

Re the GPS device, I know a Scottish-based trainer who strapped one to his top black lab for a day’s shooting; result was that the dog had covered in excess of 100 miles over the course of the day.

This, sort of, links to Robbieh’s question regarding the health impact on the dog. Was the dog tired the next day? Yes, and the next one too, and normally rests for a week after a tough day. By the end of the season the dog needed a good rest, and got it.

Did the dog work beyond its capabilities? Probably for a short period, yes, but overall, no. I suspect that most of us would be in a similar position in our careers. Our Springer has been in training for over a year to manage the kind of runs that he does, with careful planning and rest days in between and consultations with vets to make sure. He loves it, and I’m sure that as a dog-owner you will not be surprised when I say that we love him. Not having ever owned a lurcher, but having been associated with a few in my time, given that they often have greyhound in them they are a short course dog bred for sprint distance, not endurance. They are, therefore, not going to enjoy the distance work as much as, say, a gundog or a sled-dog.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

surfer – Member

I think most dogs can run.

Great contribution

Welcome to Singletrackworld. Home of great contributions. And sarcasm. And people who get wound up very easily. x

Blower
    Free Member

I remember thinking to myself If I was going to get a dog it would be a Staffie

yep to that.

neilc1881
    Free Member

Art, it’s probably a one off, it was planned, but won’t be something we plan on doing again.inthe next 2 years at least.
    Emaill me at
    neil.d.coxATgooglemail.com
    If you’d like to see more photos etc
    Cheers

anagallis_arvensis

Any of you ever killed a dog from making it run too fast and long so it did,nt get left behind? We.ve had lurchers for over 30 yrs and when working them NEVER made then work as hard as some of you seem proud to be doing!

Its the ones that take them biking that scare me. Doubt they’ll kill them but joint problems may be an issue. People dont seem to realise a lot of these working dogs get worn out and pensioned off (or worse) very early.

br
    Free Member

Does anyone have a Cocker and take it running???

We’ve a Cocker and Springer, both working breed.

The Springer is stronger and faster, but the Cocker has more stamina.

They will both roam, but the Cocker stays within eye-contact whereas the Springer goes to voice-contact. Both come back to find out why I’m not going faster (on the climbs).

I’d say a Working Cocker would suit you.

Its the ones that take them biking that scare me. Doubt they’ll kill them but joint problems may be an issue. People dont seem to realise a lot of these working dogs get worn out and pensioned off (or worse) very early.

Sorry, but that is what they are bred for – working.

If you saw my Springer charging through undergrowth/copses after rabbits/deer/shadows/smells etc on his own accord, you’d realise that it is in their blood.

As Guy Martin says, “they aren’t here for a long time – but for a good time”.

anagallis_arvensis

Sorry, but that is what they are bred for – working.

really? Firstly very few dogs are bred for working, secondly working dogs are often knackered pretty early and thirdly spaniels were not bred to run after bikes anyway.

stufive
    Free Member

+1 for a springer get a longer legged one and get a bitch

JEngledow
    Free Member

Try and avoid one like this:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2T5FFmjaErk[/video]

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Best dog for running ?’ is closed to new replies.