Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Best dehydrated meal
  • Pieface

Whats the best dehydrated meals out their? My criteria being taste, nutrition and the ability to only need one pan of boiling water to make it.

I’ll be packing them as ’emergency’ or as the odd meal for a backpacking trip.

Ta

montylikesbeer

A few weeks ago I cooked up some fresh Chicken Pillaf, bagged it up and froze it.

On the hill warmed through with a little water nothing I have had on the hill has even come close.

My pals enjoyed it as well.

I was a fan of these dehydrated meals but I now cook, bag and freeze fresh.

Each too their own though.

willyboy
    Free Member

Just take pre packed cous cous – the ainsley harriot stuff is quite good – you may need 2 sachets if your very hungry. Its about £1.70-80 for 2 sachets (currently on two for one at somerfield).
    http://www.ainsley-harriott.co.uk/ainsley-harriott-cous.htm

roper
    Free Member

Thread closed

aracer
    Free Member

Personally I don’t bother with “meals” for Polaris/OMM type events nowadays. Instead I have a selection of stuff which just requires boiling water – pot pasta (start with that – I’ve then got something to eat the rest from) packet soup with pasta, packet noodles, flavoured cous-cous, dried apricots with instant custard, hot chocolate is a normal menu. All “normal” food I’d be happy to eat at home.

Pieface

Those are probably all cheaper / tastier too.

atlaz
    Free Member

Ramen. Lots and lots and lots of Ramen. Unless you need more than just carbs in which case, nfc.

xc-steve
    Free Member

Like montylikesbeer suggested can’t you just make a stew or simular, freeze it put in your bag, by the time it comes to eat it’ll probably defrosted slightly bring to the boil and eat, no need to extra water or anything… mmm might try that myself Stew is good anyway but whilst out in the middle of nowhere will make it even more Rugged!

Thing I’d be more concerned about though is where will you get fresh bread and a cold beer from?!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Carrying stew or similar means carrying the water in it. Dehydrated is lighter 🙂

For backpacking I use pasta n sauce in various combinations.

My classic backpacking meal would be – cup a soup followed by pasta’n’sauce followed by either angel delight ( non diet) or an instant custard.

aracer
    Free Member

The issue with frozen stuff is it weighs a lot more than dehydrated does.

Pieface

Will be passing shops en route so this stuff will be ‘in reserve’ or for times when I can’t be bothered.

Frozen is out of the question as I may want to eat it on days 2 – 4 and trying to keep weight down.

atlaz
    Free Member

aracer: Not really. It’s just it’s all in one place. To rehydrate anything you need to add the original volume of water (more or less) so all things being equal, the weight is the same. The only advantage is on trips where you’ll be able to get water when you’re cooking so don’t have to carry the rehydration water.

AlasdairMc

Pasta with pesto, or alternatively pasta and a tomato sauce, with a Peperami put through it for some meaty goodness.

Dave
    Free Member

Pasta, noodles etc. Pesto for a bit of flavour. Dries fruit, Nuts and Raisins.

Choc as a comfort food ftw.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

my housemate has proteing shakes that look and taste like angel delite, but contain 42g of whye protein, creatin, and a shed load of vitamins and minerals etc etc. Your meant to drink them with about a pint of water to make a milkshake, but about 150ml makes a yogurt type food, 200-300 angel delite/custard consitency. Also contains enough calories (mix of carbs mostly) to bump a packet upto a small meal. Much more satisfying than a mars bar, and not much more expensive.

Those and flavoured cous cous/pasta’n’sauce/savoury rice type meals will be my staple from now on on bivy trips.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Carrying stew or similar means carrying the water in it. Dehydrated is lighter

But then surely you need to carry the water to add to the dehydrated meal before cooking?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Mastiles – nope – water is freely available on any good mountain. Sometimes rather more than you wish

MrSalmon
    Free Member

But then surely you need to carry the water to add to the dehydrated meal before cooking?

Yeah, but you could get that at your campsite.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Fair enough – point taken re mountainside water. Not on the campsite comment though – I was ‘assuming’ that emergency meals meant not in a campsite hence no access to ‘normal’ facilities.
    🙂

aracer
    Free Member

The only advantage is on trips where you’ll be able to get water when you’re cooking so don’t have to carry the rehydration water.

ie all trips.

If you can’t get hold of water, then I’d suggest you have bigger problems than not being able to rehydrate your dinner – where do you guys go that you can’t get water?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

But surely you would have to carry the water to add to the dehydrated food??

montylikesbeer

For me its all about the experience, a wild camp with “proper food”, perhaps some sliced Chorizo a hand full of olives, is my preference over “space food”

Weight is relative in my view, get your pack weight down with the essentials and make room for good food and some treats.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

But surely you would have to carry the water to add to the dehydrated food??

Is that deja vu?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I carry varying types of food depending on the trip – an onion and some garlic adds a fair bit to pasta n sauce and so on. a tin or two or tuna etc. If going really lightweight I just have the packets – if prepared to carry a bit extra weight then a few bits of fresh food and tins adds a lot of taste.

Teetwosugars – water is freely available on any good mountainside – see my post above

aracer
    Free Member

deja bu?

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Not on the campsite comment though – I was ‘assuming’ that emergency meals meant not in a campsite hence no access to ‘normal’ facilities.

By campsite I meant the site of your camp, not a ‘proper’ campsite- you’d camp near water, or pick some up on the way.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

vu deja? That feeling you know you are going to be hearing this again?

Olly
    Free Member

cous cous and beanfeast.

beanfeast being a soya based “mince” in gravey.
    sounds rough, but its yummy, and is packed with prtoen and carbs.
    winner!

NOM!!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Hearing what again?

thomthumb
    Free Member

i like the packet cous cous.

ainsly’s lemony one is good. 🙂

stumpy01

I’m with the Batchelors Pasta & Sauce. Quite tasty & filling.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Ainsley’s Mediterranean vegetable cous cous mings big time. Put me right off the whole range. Basically tastes like bland cous cous with the faint aroma of damp sock.

Give me a clove of garlic, and a paper twist full of cayenne pepper and cumin and I can give you 5000% more tasty cous cous in an instant.

Can’t believe no-one has suggested supernooddles yet. Taste of plastic, but you’ll keep on rolling for days on ’em.

Olly
    Free Member

how dehydrated is dehydrated.
    how about pasta and a tube of pesto?
    x

29erKeith
    Free Member
    DrJ

For emergency food I’ve seen it recommended to carry a sachet of moist dog food – the theory being that it will keep you alive in an emergency, and you won’t be tempted to eat it in a non-emergency.

However, the same logic apples to a lot of packaged foods 🙁

redbikes
    Free Member

DrJ – where did you see that recommended? 🙄

DrJ

In a pet shop 🙂

grievoustim
    Free Member

pasta n sauce and cup a soup?

salty salty salty – yuck

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

You don’t have to spunk in it Tim 🙄

aracer
    Free Member

Can’t believe no-one has suggested supernooddles yet.

pot pasta (start with that – I’ve then got something to eat the rest from) packet soup with pasta, packet noodles, flavoured cous-cous

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Best dehydrated meal’ is closed to new replies.