Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Bees nest – what shall I do ?
  • DaveGr
    Free Member

Just noticed I've got a bees nest in the kitchen extractor fan !!! Yes, they noticed the gap in the external cover and got in. I've phoned the local pest control and their option is to kill them but I'd rather have an option where they can carry on living. They're not actually causing a problem at the moment (but of course might multiply and be one in the future) so any advice on what to do. I'd have no problem leaving them there if they are going to move onto another nest and I can clean it out over winter. Oh, and I think they're bees as their front pair of wings are larger than the rear and their abdomen is mainly orange fur.

tks

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Harvest the honey? 🙂

nickjb
    Free Member

You could contact your local bee keeping association

TreeWhatTree….
    Free Member

one of the blokes at work keeps bees (or his wife does) so I have passed on your question.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Bees in an extractor fan in the kitchen?

Easy.

Leave them there, buy bread and simply switch on the fan whilst holding up a piece of bread for an automatic honey dispenser…

TreeWhatTree….
    Free Member

Bee keeping bloke tells me that if you can't remove the extractor (safely) then killing them is pretty much the only choice…… but I prefer mastiles_fanylion option 🙂

DaveGr
    Free Member

Tks for the replies and especially like the idea of the honey dispenser 😆

Think the hood is basically hooked over some brackets so might open the patio doors, lift off the hood and run like mad into the garden with it surrounded by a swarm of angry bees.

or phone the local bee keepers.

cynic-al
    Free Member

A mate keeps bees – think they may help for free if they get to keep them!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Precious bees. Keepers are always looking for ferals to improve their stock.

joolsburger
    Free Member

When I had one a beekeeper came and removced them for free.

ski
    Free Member

Where are you based DaveGr?

DaveGr
    Free Member

I'm in Stratford on Avon. I think they're bumble bees rather than honey bees so won't be usefull for breeding stock.

anagallis_arvensis

If they are bumle bees they could be quite rare although useless for honey on the plus side bumble bee colonies dont get very big and they are pretty docile. If it was honey bees they'd be thousands and it would be quite scary.

gixer.john
    Free Member

Cover the extractor with a bit if cotton or similar on the inside.
    Go to tobaconist and buy a pipe and aromatic tobacco.
    Fill pipe with tobacco, light, then puff smoke towrds the extractor – simple.

cynic-al
    Free Member

gixer – then what? You done this yourself?

yunki
    Free Member

run around waving your hands in the air screaming like a little girl..

fisha
    Free Member

if its last resort, petrol fumes will kill bees. you dont need to burn the petrol, just the fumes will kill them.

but local beekeepers are a good start for advice. Most are hobbyists and a wee bung to them would probably get you sorted.

gixer.john
    Free Member

My solution relise on there being an outside part of the extractor fan which will lead to the open air, if it's an extractor hood then the wee blighters will be flying around the kitchen, so leave an outside door or window open. Cynic-al, i'm a non-smoker, but would like to think of this as a safe method 😯

zokes
    Free Member

If they're in an extractor fan, would it not bee 😉 too simplistic to turn said fan on and, erm, extract them?

DaveGr
    Free Member

The extractor fan is ducted through the wall so in effect it's a sealed unit meaning they shouldn't get into the kitchen …. unless they eat through the ducting 😯 …. which they might do if the colony gets too big for the space they're in !!!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Just nuke it from orbit, the only way to be sure.

chewkw
    Free Member

Leave them alone? They are harmless so long as you do not leave anything in the kitchen to attract them.

zokes
    Free Member

so long as you do not leave anything in the kitchen to attract them.

Like food?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Bees nest – what shall I do ?’ is closed to new replies.