Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Bedding in new forks
  • AndyPaice
    Free Member

I’ve got a new pair of rockshox forks to bed in, mostly had 2nd hand forks for the last few years so not bedded forks in recently. They felt quite sticky on the first ride, not much small bump sensetivity at any speed with all the damping option backed right off.

I’m guessing it will take a few rides to be them in totally, but do I need to do any oil changes/remove the lowers while they are bedding in? Any idea how many hours riding it will take to bed them in?

Ta

LoCo
    Free Member

Check the amount of lube in the lowers (should be 15ml of 15 weight) and store the bike upside down to lube the bushes. Other than that you should be fine.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

Cheers

geetee1972
    Free Member

I’m always amazed by just how much suspension, front and rear, loosens up after the first few rides. It’s like riding a different bike/fork sometimes.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

I’m hoping it improves, hands were hurting after each DH today 🙁 Just have to ‘get out there and ride’ I guess 😉

geetee1972
    Free Member

You might also want to back off the high speed compression a little as well, assuming you’ve got the right spring rate?

LoCo
    Free Member

If you’re still having setup issues after a few more rides have a look at my setup guide:

http://locotuning.co.uk/tech-info.html

if still having issues feel free to drop me a mail 🙂

AndyPaice
    Free Member

” geetee1972 – Member

You might also want to back off the high speed compression a little as well, assuming you’ve got the right spring rate? “

They’re Totem Coils with ‘Mission Control DH’ damping and all the adjusters (low spd comp, high spd comp and rebound) are all set to minimum, and the sag indicator is half way between 28% and 35% with no preload specers added so I think the spring rate is OK for me. Only got 1 spring with the forks so can’t try a different weight.

I’ll give ’em about 15 hrs riding and pull the lowers off to check them.

nuke

and store the bike upside down to lube the bushes.

Is that with RS forks as well? I do it with my Fox forks but last time I did this with my Revs, I came down to find oil had leaked out the moco side.

LoCo
    Free Member

The theory is the same oil runs up the lowers and lubes the bushes, the leak from the moco is from the damping chamber, and due to a knackered seal in the Moco, I can supply a kit to fix this as the relevant seals don’t come in the MoCo/Damper seal kit.

I_Ache
    Free Member

It probably isnt the best weather to be finding out how good your new forks are. My 2 year old Pikes felt just how you are describing your forks the other day because of the cold. There was virtually no small bump movement. Of course yours will be worse because of them needing bedding in.

Are these for your Enduro?

LoCo
    Free Member

Good point, a foot of snow isn’t that great to be testing in 😀

AndyPaice
    Free Member

I_Ache – Member

It probably isnt the best weather to be finding out how good your new forks are. My 2 year old Pikes felt just how you are describing your forks the other day because of the cold. There was virtually no small bump movement. Of course yours will be worse because of them needing bedding in.

Are these for your Enduro?

Lol, never thought of that. The lube oil is 15wt apparently so it will be like treacle in -5c. Bit like the time I put rockshox red rum in a set of shermans instead of the recommended lube oil. the damn things wouldn’t move!

They are for my enduro, I’ve decided to keep it for a bit longer, hopefully new forks and new bearings on the rear will make it feel better. The Totems have a shorter A2C height, with more travel, than the 66s they replaced.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Nice I would love a pair of Totems on my enduro. My old enduro (light blue powdercoat) with 170mm 66s was fantastic for DH but too high and spongy for normal riding. I have Pikes on my current enduro and would quite like to put a pair of Lyriks on it.

Have you got a pic of it with the Totems it would be good to see.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

Only a shonky phone pic, only got it built on Friday. I’ll see if I can get some scenic snow photos with it this week 😉

Totems fitted by subZero rider, on Flickr

AndyPaice
    Free Member

Here ya go, a slightly less shonky photo. Was very icy today round Sheffield

Houndkirk road. by subZero rider, on Flickr

Houndkirk road by subZero rider, on Flickr

slowrider
    Free Member

Aren’t totems a bit less supple by design? ie optimised for bigger hits at the expense of small bump sensitivity? Or is that my lbs trying to flog me boxxers instead?

AndyPaice
    Free Member

Hopefully not :-0

Three of the lads I ride with have totems and they are all raving about them, so I’m hoping that they bed in well (and quickly).

I went out again today and noticed a massive difference in sensetivity in the forks from indoors when they were warm to being outside in the cold. After several hours outside they had almost locked out.

Never had this prolem with openbath marzocchis with 200ml ish of oil in each leg!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Bedding in new forks’ is closed to new replies.