Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Bedding in new disc brakes
  • Recycler
    Free Member

Just got new brakes and need to bed them in. What techniques do you use and why do they need to be bedded in?

Thanks in anticipation

benjag
    Free Member

They don't it's a right lot of BS, fit and go ride, they will bed in as you use them.

Recycler
    Free Member

Thanks, but is that it?

I was expecting some sort of Zen like response or it's a 'black art' type thing

benjag
    Free Member

some folk bang on about 'glazing' pads, this can happen on cars with plain faced discs if overheated. Bikes have discs with holes/grooves etc which prevent pads from glazing (and to allow gasses to expand). Just fit sintered pads and forget (organic wear quicker).

danlate
    Free Member

ride around in circles with the brakes lightly on for about 5 minutes so the pads and rotors heat up, then pour water over the pads and rotor, you will see some steam coming from pads. this usually works immediately, if not do it again. you will be surprised with the improvement.

jam-bo

just ride and accept the performance will be crap for the first couple of miles.

leebaxter
    Free Member

If your using organic pads, its very important to bed them in by getting them warmed up. if you go out in a wet gritty ride straight away, they could wear out in a few days. Sintered are less of a problem, just ride them in.Kevlar, and sintered organic mixes, im not sure as i aint used em.

helmetron
    Free Member

Tiny wee brakes on somethin that weighs 13kilo or so dont need beddin. just get your arse out there!!

mboy
    Free Member

They don't it's a right lot of BS, fit and go ride, they will bed in as you use them.

Excellent, JUST the kind of well informed opinions this man needs to help him on his way… 😕

Suggest ANYONE who doesn't believe brakes need bedding in at all reads the following… Written by Shimano, that little known Japanese company that makes the odd bike component here and there…

Brake Bedding in Procedure
    Brakes and Heat

Think about it, when you get new discs and pads fitted to your car, how do they bed in? You have to drive carefully for maybe 50 miles or so, but they bed in by getting quite hot and "burning" the pads to the disc…

IT IS NOT A LOAD OF BS!

mboy
    Free Member

ride around in circles with the brakes lightly on for about 5 minutes so the pads and rotors heat up

This is a pretty good way to go about it, in absence of a big hill that you can just ride down dragging the brakes. Suggest you don't immediately just pour water over them though… Cooling something made out of metal (ie. your disc rotor) too quickly by pouring liquid over it can potentially end up warping it slightly. Much better to let them cool down all by themselves.

You will need to burn them in for maybe quite a bit longer than 5 minutes though ideally… Especially if both pads and discs are brand new.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

ride down a hill dragging the brakes.

it does make a difference, both to pads lifespan, and to braking performance.

that said, my new bike (first ride today), I just dragged the brakes on the road down to my mates house. they only need to get hot, so should only take 30 seconds or so of light braking.

simples.

Recycler
    Free Member

Thanks to you all

I'll get on with it now Cheers

nonk
    Free Member

You are not allowed to ask this when you know full well that TJ has just done the puffer and will be in bed now.(well done chap)
    He bloody loves this topic he will be gutted.

coogan
    Free Member

I agree with benjag, just ride the bike and they'll sort themselves out. Never bedded a set in me life.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

nonk – Member

You are not allowed to ask this when you know full well that TJ has just done the puffer and will be in bed now.(well done chap)
    He bloody loves this topic he will be gutted.

I'm just wondering if I can make a coherent response. 🙂

Certainly disc brakes pads need to bed in

jam bo – Member

just ride and accept the performance will be crap for the first couple of miles. .
    works for some (if you use your brakes hard enough for the bedding to occur??)

Others need to work to get the brakes hot enough – they need to reach hundreds of degrees C. You can feel the change in the way the brake feels once they are bedded. Bedding in pads makes them last longer.

coogan
    Free Member

I'm just wondering if I can make a coherent response.

Do you ever? :mrgreen:

MadBillMcMad

Also depends on the make – Magura's want a different technique.

Take one big dry hill
    pedal up to a good speed.
    slam on the brakes (without skidding)
    repeat 10 times

walleater

So bedding in involves riding around and putting the brakes on at times? Surely that's what mountain biking is? I've never bothered unless it's a customers bike and I don't want them to jump on their bike and ride straight under a bus because they've got no brakes.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Bedding in new disc brakes’ is closed to new replies.