Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Bedding in my pads ?
  • Trimix
    Free Member

Ive got to fit new pads tonight – the existing ones are not working, I must have contaminated them with my over zealous lubing / washing routine.

So, I was planning on riding down a steep hill once or twice and jamming them on. Or is there a better more scientific way to do it ?

Or is it all piffle ?

They do need to work well as Im shortsighted, fat and ride too fast in the woods.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

That sounds about right – you should be able to feel when they are bedded in

for some folk / brakes / pads they will bed in in normal use, for others they need to actively bed them in

You are doing 3 things, conforming the pad to the disc, curing it under heat and pressure and depositing a layer of pad material on the disc. They need to get nice and hot to do this

bigyinn
    Free Member

A nice steep hill with repeated heavy braking from 25-30mph about 4 or 5 times will probably do the job. You should feel them start to ‘bite’ more after doing this.
    Deffo worth doing unless you want your sintered pads to last 2 rides in mud!

Trimix
    Free Member

OK, so what if I just heated them up in my garage with the angle grinder, or the gas torch ?

I know that when I get home tonight it will be dark, raining and Ive a bottle of Corsican Whisky in the cupboard.

Is there a shortcut ?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

There isn’t really a shortcut that I know of

soobalias
    Free Member

the angle grinder approach has yet to be tried, do let me know how you get on.

fbk
    Free Member

the angle grinder approach has yet to be tried, do let me know how you get on.

You’re a nasty evil man! 😉

Trimix
    Free Member

Yeah, Im tempted with that option, and it will keep me busy in the garage for a while. Perhaps I will try it and let you know.

thepurist

Forget the angle grinder, just G-clamp the pads onto the rotor then chuck em in the oven for an hour or so, whip em out and rub the hot pad round the rotor then chuck the whole lot in the sink. Sorted.

Drac

A nice steep hill with repeated heavy braking from 25-30mph about 4 or 5 times will probably do the job

So just ride as normal then.

Trimix
    Free Member

That may melt my tyres though, plus the wheel may not fit in the oven and my missus will kill me.

Waderider
    Free Member

Going for a bike ride has always worked for me.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator

A nice steep hill with repeated heavy braking from 25-30mph about 4 or 5 times will probably do the job

So just ride as normal then.
    I meant to say, on the road, before you get mud and filth on the pads / discs.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Bedding in my pads ?’ is closed to new replies.