Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • BBC NOW! ..'who made me fat?'
  • grtdkad

Couldn't believe my eyes…Burger King franchise stores IN NHS Hospitals!! What were they thinking of FFS?

djglover
    Free Member

It's an income stream? You can buy fags and chocolate in the newsagents too?

colnagokid

Its no surprise really tho' is it? How much can crisps, biccys etc cost to make, the bags much cost more to make
    EDITed to correct my sh17e spelling!

valleydaddy
    Free Member

They used to sell Alcohol at Addenbrooks – that amazed me!!

colnagokid

them big commode things 😯

matt_bl
    Free Member

Is this actually news to anyone?

Matt

Northwind

Sounds good to me, you get a bit bored of hospital food, sometimes you just want a nice healthy lump of mechanically recovered cow corpse served up on a sponge, sorry, roll, and covered in mayo that looks like monkey spunk.

grtdkad

My missus said if she sat in one of those hyooooojj armchairs she would feel like Alice in Wonderland! Outrageous!

Ti29er
    Free Member

No fags available for sale at the Lister in Stevenage.
    Guy ahead of me in the queue was really miffed about that!
    Tw"t.

At least BK flame grill theirs, so it should contain less fat, in turn meaning you can have extra mayo and some cake afterwards!

In point of fact, have you ever taken a seat in one of the more open-plan motorway service stations and just watched, then try to double guess which food counter each group of people will gravitate towards? It's very socio-economic, somewhat like watching the queue at the fag / Lottery counter at Tescos!

theboatman
    Free Member

I'm all for it, after all if you choose to eat there? At my last place folk would have to leave the hospital and go running across a pretty busy road to get their takeaways. I can think of at least 3 people who gained further injury going this; 1 RTA, 1 fall and 1 fight in a kebab house.

Jamie
    Free Member

Is this actually news to anyone?

Not really. The show is a repeat.

DrP

I don't understand….
    I've eaten many a burger king in my life, and yesterday I had some cookies and a flapjack BEFORE my lunch, and I'm slim as you like…..

What does this tell us? One of my favourite phrases to say to patients is "there are no bad foods, just bad diets…" Every now and then a BK 'fattywhoppa' meal is fine, but it's when that's all someone eats, along with fatty pizzas etc, that problems start.

It's not the placement of these places that's the trouble, it's the lack of education. To quote a patient recently:
    "Is alcohol fattening? And are there calories in Lucozade…"

Allah help us all!

DrP

uplink
    Free Member

They used to sell Alcohol at Addenbrooks – that amazed me!!

Last time I was in overnight, they brought the wine list with the menu, only 1/2 bottles mind 🙁

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I suspect most people watching this repeat and the original programme were middle class, regular exercising, around or below average BMI, broadsheet reading, etc etc…you get my drift. In which case the programme is voyeuristic and to-make-your-jaw-drop-in-mock-horror.

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

I've eaten many a burger king in my life, and yesterday I had some cookies and a flapjack BEFORE my lunch, and I'm slim as you like…..

On the outside at least. How are your arteries?

That's my worry anyway!

duckman

In the US some schools are so skint they have MacDonalds and KFC etc buying the school dinner franchises and putting their outlets in school canteens.

Jamie
    Free Member

To be honest the program did raise a few issues, one of which is that i now know who Esther Rantzen's daughter is, but it was originally broadcast on BBC3 so it was more aimed at the yout….and boy does it show. Maybe 2 pertinent facts hidden in an hour of bullshit 'mission' documentary style stunt and sound effects laden nonsense.

Plus Rod Liddle.

Jamie
    Free Member

DrP:

I understand that i hate you! 😉

I only have to see a plate of chips out of the corner of my eye and i pack it on.

Coyote
    Free Member

Like Jamie said, if a butterfly eats a pie in China, I gain 5 lbs.

ourmaninthenorth

ry to double guess which food counter each group of people will gravitate towards? It's very socio-economic

and

I suspect most people watching this repeat and the original programme were middle class, regular exercising, around or below average BMI, broadsheet reading, etc etc

It used to be – and still seems to be the approach of many commentators in the field – that obesity was a socio-economic issue – poor people ate crap food and got fat. But now, there is plenty of research to show that people of all incomes are getting fat and, worse, if you are tall you are more likely again to become a biffer.

So, next time you wander down to a coffee shop with the Grauniad for a double mocha choca latte with maple syrup, remember you'll come out looking like this:

IanMunro
    Free Member

I only caught a bit of it, when Rod Liddle was going on about fatties, did he admit that he's clearly a bit of friend of Greggs himself?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘BBC NOW! ..'who made me fat?'’ is closed to new replies.