Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • BBC News Sloth video
  • tails
    Free Member

Where is it online??

bobbyg81
    Free Member
    Pigface
    Free Member

Fantastic, thanks for that.

GrahamS

Hmmm… so apparently sloths are not the stoner layabouts I was led to believe.

I need a new role model.

tails
    Free Member
    trickydisco
    Free Member

[video]http://vimeo.com/11712103[/video]

DezB
    Free Member

too cute for words 🙂

GrahamS

Hmmm… I’m slightly uncomfortable with that “Meet the sloths” video.

Undeniably very cute, but the orphanage does appear to be set up to keep the soths in natural habitats so they can be reintroduced into the wild. Instead they seem to be treated as pets and playthings. Not sure that is a good thing.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Fear not, Graham, it’s not as bad as you might think. The Sloth Orphanage does a lot of rehabilitation and release of sloths into the wild, and are also maintaining a 300 acre rainforest sanctuary.

Unfortunately there are a lot of sloths that come in badly injured and can’t be released into the wild due to the injuries that they’ve sustained, and sadly a lot of babies are brought in as well, because their mothers have been killed or because they’ve been snatched for the tourist trade (“Have your photo taken with the cute baby sloth!) or the pet trade. Normally the ones in pyjamas are ones who have had skin conditions – particularly common in babies that have been removed from their mothers too soon.

I think videos focussing on the cuter, less sad aspects of their work brings in more hits and more donations than the more sensible “And this is how we train a sloth to be a sloth” approach.

bigjim

As long as it doesn’t lead to a huge demand in pet sloths, as has happened with slow loris after the youtube videos of them being cute.

Amazing animals sloths, I saw a program a while back where a guy was swimming with them between islands, and he could just pick them up, they have no fear of humans or objection to being picked up.

MrsToast
    Free Member

they have no fear of humans or objection to being picked up.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykJUjq0OIyU[/video]

I’m not sure if that’s the case, I think they’re just not able to object that much! 😛

I agree about the pet thing though, think they could do more to point out that they’re not domestic creatures. Maybe they need to show more wild ones, covered in algae and sloth moths.

GrahamS

Fear not, Graham, it’s not as bad as you might think

Good to know MrsToast. I’m always a little wary of such places after seeing some that were basically just novelty petting zoos.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘BBC News Sloth video’ is closed to new replies.