Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • BBC and the DEC Appeal
  • andym
    Free Member

If you want to complain start here.

(If this one has passed you by look here).

dmjb4
    Free Member

FTA: ITV and Sky have also said they will not show the appeal. So why complain to the BBC?

If it was a general ‘victims of violence in the middle east’ campaign I would have some sympathy. But this proposal is clearly one-sided.

Junkyard
    Free Member

cheers for the link

The BBC made the decison first and the others went with their decison

dmjb4
    Are you really comparing the conditions of the Paelestinaian people with other people in the Middle east because where are the condition this bad?
    Think that might be your bias there not the OP

Giving humanitarian aid to suffering people is not to take sides it is to reduce / prevent suffering and death

Philby

I think the numerous charities who are part of the DEC are in a much better position to make an independent and impartial judgement on what aid is needed around the world than the BBC (whose decision making of late has been questionable on a number of issues)!

Why is the campaign one-sided? As far I am aware Israel is not suffering lack of food, water, power and medical equipment. Nor have a large part of its buildings, including schools, been needlessly destroyed. Nor does it have a UN centre which has been bombed. Nor has it suffered ordnance with phosphorous in. Nor have over a 1000 innocent Israelis been killed in the space of 3 weeks!

This doesn’t of course imply that Hamas’s actions are legitimate, but simply that Gaza is suffering a humanitarian disaster as a result of war and Israel isn’t, and the aid agencies role is to help in disaster areas.

Dibbs
    Free Member

The Jewish lobby has far too much influence over the press.

Jenga
    Free Member

Tony Benn stuffed the BBC on the Today programme this morning. Gave out all details live on air, and there wasn’t anything they could do to stop him.

druidh
    Free Member

I’m not sure the BBC have been “stuffed” given that they’re providing a link to the DEC appeal website on the very page listed in the OP.

lodious
    Free Member

Tony Benn was class on the radio today, don’t really agree with most of his opinions, but it was great to hear someone who acutally gives a shit.

Philby

Douglas Alexander, the International Development Secretary, is questioning the BBC decision, and even the Government are sending £25 million.

All the BBC seem to do is winge on about how they need more money from the licence fee. After a number of their recent decisions, I think a number of their senior management should be increasing our jobless statistics.

For those who want to donate the DEC website is https://www.donate.bt.com/bt_form_gaza.html

lodious
    Free Member

Thanks to Andy M. Registered complaint using link.

andym
    Free Member

The Jewish lobby has far too much influence over the press.

Dibbs – Lots of Jewish people have protested against what the Israeli government has been doing – eg Gerald Kaufman, and Alexis Sayle to name only the two who come to mind.

I’m not sure the BBC have been “stuffed” given that they’re providing a link to the DEC appeal website on the very page listed in the OP.

Yes, in fairness to the BBC journalists, the BBC’s chief Operating Officer got a pretty good grilling on the today programme by ‘Posh’ Ed Sturton.

Ewan
    Free Member

Compliant submitted. What a bunch of toss. A person in need, is a person in need.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yes it’s the “Zionist lobby” which are the problem, not the “Jewish lobby”.
    There’s absolutely nothing wrong with Jews – but something seriously wrong with Zionists – a distinction which is very important to remember.

I can’t understand how the BBC are claiming that they are preserving their impartiality but refusing the appeal – surely they are doing the exact opposite and supporting one side, ie it is right and proper that the hospitals and schools in Gaza should be reduced to rubble. And that people in Gaza don’t deserve to have food, shelter and medicine.

What TF is that about ❓

Jamie
    Free Member

Tony Benn on Today show:

Clicky

…about 22 mins in.

CHB

complaint lodged. Don’t agree with Hamas, but what happened in Gaza was a war crime.

Philby

ITV have backed down and will now show the advert.

Ironically announced on the BBC website – at times they really know how to shoot themselves in the foot.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7848673.stm

IanMunro
    Free Member

Tony Benn on Today show: …about 22 mins in.
    That was genius. Good for Tony.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Though having said that, you can see the dilemena the BBC has, as iirc it rebuked last year for allegedly having a pro-palastine attitude to news reporting, or something to that effect.

avdave2

The BBC have played this one brilliantly. They have emphasised their position as an independent broadcaster with a world wide reputation for impartiality who are not willing to be ordered around by any government. At the same time by discussing this openly and interviewing Tony Benn and others they have allowed the DEC message to get even more publicity. What they have done is to make this a news story so that they report it while remaining immune from any accusation of bias. Pretty shrewd I would say.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

im with the BBC on this one.

The BBC can report on Gaza, and people can see whats going on, and if you feel compelled to donate you ca pop into oxfam, save the children etc and make a donation.

But the BBC should not be forced (or willingly) tell people what to do and who to supourt. All those people who think they should sho go live in China and enjoy the privelage of a proper governmetaly controlled state media.

Ewan
    Free Member

Avdave2 – I complained anyway, but I think you’re right. They’re certainly giving it quite a bit of publicity!

Ewan
    Free Member

Just listened to the Today program. Ace.

andym
    Free Member

But the BBC should not be forced (or willingly) tell people what to do and who to suport

Eh? What?

This was never about telling people who to support. It’s about a charity appeal for humanitarian aid – something the BBC has done many times before and it runs regular appeals for UK charities. Are you going to say it shouldn’t run Children in Need? (Or ‘I’m happy to help children in need – so long as they aren’t Palestinians?’)

The BBC made a wrong decision here and are now trying to hide behind ‘independence’. The BBC are a public corporation: ‘independence’ does not mean being beyond criticism, or being accountable to no one.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Member

But the BBC should not be forced (or willingly) tell people what to do and who to supourt.

Good for you for having the courage to admit to everyone that you are weak-willed and unable to think for yourself.

Generally however, most people make their own minds up about “what to do and who to support” and don’t follow instructions issued by the BBC 😯

miketually
    Free Member

I’ve just seen the solution to how the BBC can remain impartial:

the solution to the BBC impartiality problem is simple: first, show the DEC advert appeal. Then, run a fundraising ad to pay to replenish Israel’s stocks of white phosphorus. The BBC remains impartial and everyone gets to choose whether or not to help out and can choose whichever side they want. Or both if they want to be super impartial too.

Simple!

nickc

DEC isn’t exactly an independent organisation. One it’s members is Christian Aid for instance. Generally, when condemned by a combination of the Church, Politicians, the Sun, Mail, and Mirror, the object of the anger is probably thinking more clearly….

Besides which, the Beeb, and DEC have form, the Beeb had already turned down a request by them to broadcast an appeal in 2006 over attempts by DEC to include Gaza in an appeal for aid to the Lebanese, after the War between Hezbollah, and the Israelis. One of the supporters of the march that ended at Broadcasting House was part of Press TV, a mouthpiece for the Iranians who’s speaker insisted that Israel should be “rinsed and hung out to dry”. (Whatever that dark statement means) The point being, there is little neutrality here…

Finally, the BBC has an internal Charter, one of it’s principles is “Those that use campaigns should remember that campaigners have an agenda, and should not generally be regarded as objective observers: Charity workers, for instance…” So now they are being roundly condemned for following their own rules…When Sky News turned down the request for more or less the same reasons, could you hear the complaints?…At all?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

nickc are you seriously suggesting that the BBC were right to refuse to show the DEC appeal because someone on a march to Broadcasting House was allegedly a journalist for an Iranian TV station ? 😯

I couldn’t give a toss whether Ghengis Khan himself might of supported the DEC appeal – it has zero effect on my judgement about what it right and what is wrong.

And since you don’t appear to understand the difference between the BBC and Sky News, let me try and explain it to you.

The BBC is answerable to the British people, Sky News is answerable to Rupert Murdoch.

And incidentally, Rupert Murdoch probably has the right to claim Israeli nationality due to his maternal ancestry.

andym
    Free Member

DEC isn’t exactly an independent organisation. One it’s members is Christian Aid for instance.

You are trying to be funny aren’t you?

nickc

How do you think right wing Israeli organisations will view and use BBC footage showing support for Hamas and Hezbollah (Because that’s how they’ll twist it)? How do you think Political Islamic organisations will view and use BBC footage showing support for Christian Campaigners/charities? (Because that’s how they’ll twist it) What do you think that will do for the view of the BBC in the Middle East? The NGOs and charities under the DEC umbrella are not neutral. Ergo, it harms the neutrality of BBC to show it.

andym
    Free Member

How do you think right wing Israeli organisations will view and use BBC footage showing support for Hamas and Hezbollah

The Israeli government has been very careful to distance itself from the BBC’s stance.

In any event who cares how right-wing Israeli organisations or ‘Political Islamic’ organisations might portray the decision to show the broadcast? There’s something called ‘doing the right thing’ – and the BBC isn’t.

The NGOs and charities under the DEC umbrella are not neutral. Ergo, it harms the neutrality of BBC to show it.

What a bunch of tosh.

Why does it follow? The BBC is not the DEC. A charity appeal is not news coverage.

Are you seriously arguing that the Red Cross, Help the Aged, Christian Aid and Oxfam are politically partisan? Or does ‘not neutral’ mean not prepared to sit on the fence while people need help?

nickc

In any event who cares how right-wing Israeli organisations or ‘Political Islamic’ organisations might portray the decision to show the broadcast?

Thousands of people across the world, never mind the Middle East, listen and watch the BBC in the hope that their coverage of world events shows a clearer picture than they can get from local sources, not to mention that it might harm relations between the BBC and those organisations including The Israeli Govt, Fatah, and the PA. The first priority of the BBC is to defend it’s requirement to be seen as a neutral broadcaster of news, and not a broadcaster of partial requests for money.

Christian Aid, called this month on Gordon Brown to “Push for the EU to suspend its talks with Israel on upgrading relations”: because Israel was “in breach of international humanitarian law in targeting civilians in Gaza, Christian Aid holds that these talks must be suspended.” Ergo it is Partial.

The claim that by not broadcasting this appeal the BBC are some-how ignoring the suffering of the Palestinians, is morally conceited

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I find it unbelievable nickc that you are actually supporting the BBC’s stance on this.

Well, when I say ‘the BBC’ I really mean Mark Thompson. Because it was him “in consultation” with about 6 other people who took the decision.

And he doesn’t seem to know why he took the decision ! Originally the BBC gave the number one reason as being, that it couldn’t be guaranteed that the aid would reach those for which it was intended. When it was realised that Mark Thompson was not in any way qualified to pass judgement on the professional capabilities of organisations such as the International Committee of the Red Cross, that objection was very quietly dropped !

In fact the overwhelming majority of staff at the BBC are totally opposed to the decision and have indeed got round it in many ways. For example on this web page they show the DEC phone number and the direct link to the DEC website :

Gaza decision up to BBC – Burnham

I also saw on the BBC News Channel footage of a DEC appeal which had been previously shown, when it came to the DEC phone number it was frozen and left in the background – I’m sure the news presenter had a smirk on his face.

This is not a political issue – politicians from all parties, both left and right, have condemned the BBC’s decision. As have multitude of people right across society’s rich tapestry, including Christians, Muslims and Jews.

This is not an issue about taking sides – anymore than Red Cross parcels to POWs during WW2 was anything to do with taking sides.

This is about common humanity. It is about saving lives of innocent children.

Anyone who can’t see that, has some issues imo.

nickc

This [is] about common humanity. It is about saving lives of innocent children.

Anyone who can’t see that, has some issues imo.

Yes, in this country it is. It is a sad fact of life in the Middle East that others will notsee it or use it, like this. The obvious danger is that the BBC will be seen to be taking sides, from being an observer, it becomes linked. I have no doubt that the DEC are trying their very best to help the people of Gaza, but the BBC is in a no win situation in this. And as I have said, to believe that the BBC is doing this out of some lack of care or regard to the suffering of the Palestinians is to miss the entire point.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Don’t be so ridiculous – people in the Middle East aren’t going to think that the BBC is anti-Israeli because they have allowed a televised appeal for humanitarian aid !

Although sadly much more likely, some people might come to the conclusion that the BBC is in fact anti-Palestinian.

nickc

You are too naive.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

No mate – it’s very much you who is naive.

If you think people in the Middle East are going to trust the BBC more as a result of censoring an appeal for humanitarian aid, you are indeed very naive.

😯

nickc

Ernie you’re missing the point of the argument entirely. This is going nowhere.

chewkw
    Free Member

As I recall someone was championing BBC to be impartial in the previous longest thread on this Gazza war but now it seems that BBC is being considered one sided. WTF!

FFS! There are some channels already broadcasting the appeal and some not going to air the appeal. So what? Let them be or do you want the whole world to think like you? Why the herd mentality eh? Why should they listen to you?

FFS! Dear Leader Kim in North Korea is not feeling well and his people are starving … don’t see anyone championing their cause at all.

😯

chewkw
    Free Member

ernie_lynch:”I find it unbelievable nickc that you are actually supporting the BBC’s stance on this.”

😆 Nickc how dare you try to have an opinion of your own. You should be taught how to think and be told who to support. You must not try to have a mind of your own. Look into my eyes! Look into my eyes! Sit!

😆

MrNutt
    Free Member

Thanks to Andy M. Registered complaint using link.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘BBC and the DEC Appeal’ is closed to new replies.