Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • BB Cup seized to spindle – Help!
  • Nagasaki
    Free Member

I’m trying to replace the X-Type bottom bracket on Raceface Evolve XC chainset however the part of the bearings cup which contacts with the spindle has seized to it. Has anyone else experienced this? Any tips for dislodging it?
    The cups came off the BB shell no problem.

Nagasaki
    Free Member

Eh, did some more research and the part that’s seized to the spindle is the called the cone.
    Any tips would be much appreciated

coatesy
    Free Member

I’m struggling to visualise exactly what you have stuck to the axle, is it the entire cup assembly, the whole bearing and plastic top hat(without cup), or just the inner bearing race and top hat(bearing destroyed)?

Nagasaki
    Free Member

Hi Coatsey, I realise the explanation was a bit sketchy to say the least so thanks for responding. All that now remains of the old non-drive side BB cup would be the inner race (I think). I’ll try to get a pic up here but if I look at the axle, there is just a band of metal with a concave channel in it that the bearings used to sit in. Everything else came off however this piece of metal seems seized to the axle.

z1ppy

Coatesy, RF don’t use a top hat, there axle is in direct contact with the bearing race. Sounds like the inner race has come apart from the bearing. Spray it liberally with penetrating fluid, and ‘carefully’ attack it with a hammer & old screw driver, it shouldn’t have managed that great a rust weld to the axle, it more likey that the bearing was so knackered it just fell apart

cynic-al
    Free Member

there is a piece of plastic in between the bearing and the axle, so it “shouldn’t” seize.

Pics needed.

Nagasaki
    Free Member

Now with added visual here

Am away to try Z1ppy’s suggestions.

coatesy
    Free Member

Yup, that’s the remnants of a collapsed bearing you have there.There is a plastic top hat between the race and axle, contrary to what zippy says, it’s going to be a tight fit, and your best bet is to grip the race tightly in a vice and knock the axle through(unless you have a bearing seperator to get behind it).

Militant_biker

Caregully dremmel a section out of the bearing race and use a screwdriver to open up the rest?

z1ppy

Interest now as to whether there is a top hat or not?
    I know they have a bearing cap at the end, but understood RF used the bearing that fit directly onto the axle (like enduro’s), unlike shimano.

Did you get it off?

coatesy
    Free Member

Definitely a top hat on Race-Face, certain Taiwanese people seemed pretty adept at smashing them to pieces during assembly by not putting the cap on the end of the axle before sliding it in.Look carefully at the pic and you can see the remnants of one.

Nagasaki
    Free Member

If the top hat is a plastic sleeve between the inner race and the spindle then yes, there was one. Finally got the part off last night after soaking it with penetrating oil and wrapping it in cling film overnight. Then knocked the race down to the ctank arm and prised it back up using the tip of a large flat bladed screw driver. That seemed to free it up enough to enable using molegrips to rotate it up to the splined end for removal. Nothing’s easy eh? Had to replace the 1mm rubber coated spacer on the non-drive side which ended up mangled by the whole operation. I like RaceFace cranks/chainrings but their X-Type bottom brackets (seals) are mince. Replaced with Hope stainless steel BB.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘BB Cup seized to spindle – Help!’ is closed to new replies.