Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Bastid lights maybe time to order now
  • bigjim

Time for troutie to come up with this winter’s DIY light too! 🙂

Northwind

Cheers, just ordered meself an XML one. Mainly because of the assault crown.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Just a note on XML’s (well the one I got from DX anyway) they have a mentally insanely bright hotspot. Overally its probably twice as bright as last years SSC P7’s, but the hot spot throws things out of proportion / perspective, I’m not sure about one as a solo bike mounted light – maybe helmet mounted at half power?

Dancake
    Free Member

Just ordered a T6 – see how it goes.

Also got one of the little 200 lumen clip on jobbies for commuting

Fueled
    Free Member

“Assault crown”? Whats one of them?

I just want a big bright light, which one do I get?

Northwind

Aye, I’ve got an XML torch and it has a fairly obvious hotspot and very defined edges to its beam. But still pretty effective. Not sure how well it’ll work on the bars but I’ll helmet mount it if it doesn’t work out.

Fueled – Member

“Assault crown”? Whats one of them?

It’s the jaggy bit on the end of some of the torches, for maiming people with. But these bike lights also come with one, i guess it’s the same part as is on the torches. Quite odd.

bigjim

Dancake which is the 200 lumen one?

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Just ordered a T6 XML – already got a P7 which I was happy with so will probably move that onto my bars and try the T6 on my helmet. For £30 I don’t really care how well it works!

andyl
    Free Member

and try the T6 on my helmet.

[Chuckle]

How much do the Trout lights normally work out at?

robsoctane
    Free Member

I’ve heard Trout & light together a lot… He makes lights & lots love them, right? are his prices & quality comparable to the above deals?

I need a new mega power light & don’t want to spend marketer’s phone number prices… I’m bleeping sick of that.

trout
    Free Member

Not a hope in hell of being able to compete with the Chinese stuff and the speed they have come out with the newish XMLs means I can no longer be at the front with led Technology .

This has made me think why do I bother doing lights at all but will continue for a while yet.

Yes I am tinkering with a lets say a different light at the moment and some of the diy kits may be available too but again you have to want to build your own
    Even convertions have become non-viable due to cheap chinese imports

The Liberator will live on 😀
    and hopefully something new will be along soon 😉

Smudge has some nice XML lights in stock too

robsoctane
    Free Member

@Trout: That said mate, please link me to your work, I’m not scared of building & would like to support locals if viable… Long live the UK market, right?

trout
    Free Member
    FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Robscotane – I went with one of Trouts DIY kits a few months ago. I went for that over the DX lights as hopefully I will get more than 1-3 seasons (which appears to be the norm for DX) of life out of it.

Plus its not back in the day DIY tinkering, Trout gives a very well machined housing and all the kit, if you enjoy tinkering then you cant go wrong IMO.

I bought a duff battery off Ebay after a recommendation here, just waiting for replacement batteries/holders/charger from DX and others to build my own battery pack which will cost about £35, or alternatively Smudge (on here) appears to be the battery pack supplier of choice.

My Trout DIY (1800 lumens) light with battery pack has cost me £125, ok not as cheap as above, but should last longer, is programmed to operate as I want it, and was fun to build!

rOcKeTdOg

looking forward to letting my Liberator loose on the local trails soon

the Liberator lights the moon ride by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

trout
    Free Member

Lovin Rocketdogs howling at the moon pic 😆

allthepies
    Free Member

Also got one of the little 200 lumen clip on jobbies for commuting

Got a link ?

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Is there an equivalent rear light available? Would be good to have something pretty bright to go on the back of my bike, run off the same battery.

Dancake
    Free Member

200 lumen light here . I liked that you can use AA batteries if you get caught short and has an anti-dazzle for oncoming cars.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/xc-997a-3w-3-mode-1200-lumen-white-led-bike-light-4-x-aa-82138

Time will tell if it is worth 20 quid. My route is generally street lit, but occasionally you need a bit of light so might be ok

z1ppy

DX Rear light

Though it comes with a battery of it’s own, you can buy a splitter cable, so that one battery can drive both units.

lazybike
    Free Member

I got a couple of lights from here, took 6 weeks to come, but the’ve been fine, worked out at £9 each!

rob-jackson
    Free Member

dancake – will you be using this for road riding? If not that diffuser will need to come off

z1ppy

Lazybike, did that include the batteries, charger & bar/helmet mounts too?

Admittedly I love those torchs, have two myself (from aa few years back), but now the bike specific lights are better for riding with (unless you want a multi-use torch).

lazybike
    Free Member

Z1ppy…no mate, I already had those, I just got the torches, I can’t remember the model no’s but there about 230 lumens, great helmet mounted.

bigjim

I couldn’t beleive the price of the lights on DX either – so cheap!

They have some handy looking Joystick Maxx – sized single 18650 XPG lights for 1/10th price of a Joystick.

I still like rolling my own though so don’t go off the radar troutie!

franciscobegbie
    Free Member
    P20

1200 XML thing ordered. Will be able to compare with the original 900 and hope4 when it arrives

druidh
    Free Member

Any idea of brightness/runtime for that XML-T6 on the lower setting?

stumpy01

I converted my 2nd Lumi can the other week for the 24/12 using the Black Cat 830mA driver.
    It ran hot when stationary (although no hotter than the 20w halogen), but on the move it stayed pretty cool.

I knackered the led board though through ham-fistedness & although the OH managed to solder a link across the broken track it failed after an hour of so; I guess it was the vibration.

I reckon i am going to order a new XML MR11 board from Cutter & perhaps get some custom cans made up with a bit more space in them & more metal for heatsinking duties.
    Just need to find the time to get on with it. I had quite a few comments about how good the lights were (while they were both going) at the 24/12.

TROUTIE – Cutter seem to have an optic out for the XML, so I was going to order these as they seem like the newest, bestest, brightest. But, I notice they have a very wide viewing angle. Presumably the optic would tighten this up, but would the XML be a good choice or would XPGs be the way to go (it’s not like they lacked brightness to be honest)??

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

All this talk of lights is depressing me. 🙁

Dancake
    Free Member

Someone in the know fancy explaining why the light above is so much cheaper than this one?
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/mj-808e-ha-iii-cree-xm-lt60-3-mode-1000-lumen-led-bike-light-set-4×18650-57100

the pic may be wrong as one of the reviews mentioned a battery level indicator. (Mate has the fancy voltage indicator on his and never seen him use it). Makes the battery pack bigger too

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’ve ordered the one in the 2nd link, I checked out with paypal. Do I need to confirm my shipping address? If so, how do I do it?

angryratio
    Free Member

summer light threads invoke similiar feelings to back to school posters in shops when your a kid.

bigjim

Someone in the know fancy explaining why the light above is so much cheaper than this one?

They are different bodies so different manufacturers? There isn’t a pic of the cheaper one’s battery pack so can’t tell how waterproof it is, at least the magichi*e ones are relatively well known now, still worth a punt that cheaper one though, almost tempted…

AlexSimon

Took a punt – I fancied trying one on the helmet anyway.
    Worst case scenario, I have a full set of spares for my old Bastid (still going strong) for only £28
    I went for SKU.82510

trout
    Free Member

Diy job lot bargain of the week/ month

lots of goodies here

chriswilk
    Free Member

Just picked up a Smudge XML for a mate.
    Good light and the quality is better than the DX ones, although they look similar, delivered in 2 days also.

Not quite up to the claimed 1k+ lumens, but these things never are, quite close though. A definite bright spot as others have said for similar single XML units so will make a good head light.

Ewan
    Free Member

Just picked up a Smudge XML for a mate.
    Good light and the quality is better than the DX ones, although they look similar, delivered in 2 days also.

Please correct me if i’m wrong, but aren’t they identical to the ones you can buy on DX. Didn’t smudge just buy a job lot and offer a UK warranty?

(Note I may be wrong, but he doesn’t own a CNC shop does he?)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Bastid lights maybe time to order now’ is closed to new replies.