Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Base for summerhouse?
  • benz
    Free Member

So, 3m x 3m. Summerhouse for the garden.

Garden is inclined to be a bit damp, so should I be looking to pour concrete base?

If so, what depth of concrete?

wrightyson
    Free Member

100mm of concrete is plenty on a nice firm sub base. Also perhaps keep it up 50 mm above surrounding ground to help keep the moisture off the base.

tymbian
    Free Member

Dig out 100mm or so and fill with Type1 ( or MOT as its sometimes known ), level and compact. This will provide drainage. Build the summerhouse on treated timber ( minimum of 3 x 3 but 4 x 4 is better) lain on the Type1. I firmly believe air circulation underneath and good drainage are essential for the longevity of the build.

Or build on rafters and surround with a deck.

I can post some pics later.

Concrete has a massive environmental shadow …1kg cement = 1kg Co2e

wrightyson
    Free Member

Type 1 is not free draining and certainly won’t be if you have anything like clay conditions under it. It’ll be a spongy pond 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Fight fight fight!

benz
    Free Member

Garden has thin layer of topsoil then into clay.

I thought I should get the summerhouse a bit off the ground on solid concrete base.

If the supplier does the install they basically build up wooden frame with summerhouse on a deck. However wondered if the wet ground would lead to rot.

I don’t want to spend the money if it’s going to rot due to damp ground – rather have long term comfort.

palmer77
    Free Member

I did this a few years ago. Extended the existing patio to the footprint of the summer house. Built small brick piers and then a timber frame on top. Decking on that and then summer house on the decking. There is a small bordering wall around the edge of the decking on small base of concrete. Plenty of drainage and air circulation.

tymbian
    Free Member

What Palmer said..Brick pillars is a good solution.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Nice work tymbian, I will always gladly “big up” good quality workmanship and you have it right there.
    I always use a concrete pad scenario with one course of block flat to sit my frame on. I love concrete, can’t help it.

footflaps

I like to build staff to last a long time. Treated timbers will rot in under 20 years if they’re in contact at the ground whereas a concrete base will be there in 200+ years (or in the case of the Pantheon roof, 2000+ years).

tymbian
    Free Member

@ wrightyson..Thanks for the Kudos. I love concrete too for what it can achieve but I detest the way society shits on the planet. Was it the Indians that had the saying that ” we haven’t inherited the planet from our forefathers but borrowed it from our children “.

When we as a race say collectively, ” Oh shit, what have we done? ” It’ll be too late.

@ Footflaps…you’ll be bored of you’re summer-house in 20 years and will want another project…oh and FWI I took down a 20+ year old shed whose floor was on 4 x 4 posts to build this summer-house. Posts were Dry as a bone and solid as you like. The client kept the posts to use on another project. Drainage is key here. You could build in a french drain possibly. If you must use concrete put a Plastic DPM in before you pour. ( might as well go the whole enviromental hog. ) only joking. Keep us updated. Where abouts are you?

watsontony
    Free Member

i would go for soundproofing the roof. it would get a little annoying sitting in your summer house listening to the rain all day 🙄

Bear
    Free Member

Put in small pads of concrete and build off of those? Concrete is rubbish but excellent too!

Just about to work in an old listed building. We can’t take the floor up for underfloor heating because the floor joists are laid straight on to the dirt, probably some 200 years ago……. Not sure of ground conditions or ventilation though.

For those that ere interested http://www.greenspec.co.uk/durability.php

slackalice
    Free Member

Tymbian has it:

I firmly believe air circulation underneath and good drainage are essential for the longevity of the build.

And more importantly…

Concrete has a massive environmental shadow …1kg cement = 1kg Co2e

” we haven’t inherited the planet from our forefathers but borrowed it from our children “.

When we as a race say collectively, ” Oh shit, what have we done? ” It’ll be too late.

The man speaks wisely, listen to him!! 🙂

mcmoonter
    Free Member

+1 for all of the above.

Nice work Tymbian.

footflaps

Given that mankind is hell bent of squeezing every last drop of fossil fuel from the earth and burning it all as fast as he can, whilst driving 1 mile to work in a two tonne metal box, I don’t think that concrete foundations for a shed are going to make much difference in the grand scheme of things.

tymbian
    Free Member

Of course, you’re right Footflaps. In the grand scheme of things best none of us bother.

You could start petitioning the government to stop all the carbon emission reducing programme they have in place because it just not worth bothering. Flying abroad this year? Why not go twice a year..and encourage those that know you to do the same.

Would you want your kids growing up next to a busy emission filled road junction or in the country somewhere?

sam_underhill

I’m seriously considering these metal feet laid onto pre-cast concrete blocks for my new shed. It minimises the amount of concrete and means you don’t need to dispose of as much spoil as well. Double whammy is that they are adjustable so you can level everything up nicely.

qwerty
    Free Member

Tree house for the eco win?

footflaps

You could start petitioning the government to stop all the carbon emission reducing programme they have in place because it just not worth bothering.

I don’t think I need bother, as soon as the system gets expensive they’ll just change the rules.

Flying abroad this year? Why not go twice a year..and encourage those that know you to do the same.

Only twice? Already been abroad several times and it’s only March.

tymbian
    Free Member

Aw, that’s nice.

McHamish
    Free Member

I’ve been day dreaming about building a garden workshop/bike shed.

We’re looking for a new house at the moment and I want a big enough garden to build something decent.

Probably will go with a concrete foundation as I want something secure for anchor points for my bikes. Wood would be easier, but not convinced about securing my bike to something that could be easily removed with my own tools!

qwerty
    Free Member

Probably will go with a concrete foundation as I want something secure for anchor points for my bikes.

Have you got a seperate storage area for any power tools (angle grinder) that you own?

tymbian
    Free Member

My shed is on a timber post base. When building the shed I passed thick chain underneath the post and back through the floor into what would be the inside of the shed. This is my security chain for the bike.
    Mc Hamish…That’s an awful lot of concrete for bike security. If a would-be thief can’t get your bike from the chain chances are he’ll cut through the frame and have your parts on eBay before you get home .

McHamish
    Free Member

Maybe I’ll need a moat filled with alligators.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Base for summerhouse?’ is closed to new replies.