• This topic has 18 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by st.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Banshee/Mythic Spitfire – what's happening?
  • Rickos
    Free Member

I heard of bearing/bushing problems and that they’re redesigning the pivots. Is this true – the problems and/or the redesign? On paper it just seems so right in every other way!

honourablegeorge

I considered buying one, and the bloke at Freeborn was honest enough about the bushing setup to completely turn me off the idea.

mr_mills
    Free Member

The problem on some of them was that pivots were overtightened from the factory. This caused all sorts of strange wear on the linkages. I’ve got a nice Devinci Dixon instead now 🙂

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I bought one, it’s brilliant.

But my bushes destroyed themselves after a few rides, when I dismantled the rear end I found that it had largely been assembled without grease, that the main pivot axle hadn’t been drilled for the grease port and that the axle has worn as a result.

I have regreased and rebuilt it and it seems ok, but I haven’t ridden it since and I’ve not got a resolution on the axle issue from Freeborn yet, mainly due to not having a chance to give them another call.

mikey74
    Free Member

But my bushes destroyed themselves after a few rides, when I dismantled the rear end I found that it had largely been assembled without grease, that the main pivot axle hadn’t been drilled for the grease port and that the axle has worn as a result.

The bushings are self-lubricating and therefore should be able to run smoothly enough without grease. In fact, there is some thought that running them with grease attracts more dirt to the bushings and ultimately causes premature wear.

In terms of changes: Don’t hold your breath. Something may happen for 2013, but Banshee have said nothing. Others may have more up-to-date information than me.

My Rune suffers from constant play, due to the fact that the frame is wearing, rather than the bushes. However, as I can’t afford a new bike, and it is out of warranty, I’m just going to ride it until it breaks. I do actually really like it so it’s not too much of a hardship, just a bit of a shame that the bushing systems needs redesigning.

kudos100
    Free Member

That is a real shame as they make some lovely looking bikes that seem like they would ride really well.

mikey74
    Free Member

That’s the thing: They do ride really well (I can only comment first hand on the Rune, but I have heard nothing but good reports about the ride of the Spitfire). If they could make some relatively minor tweaks to the bushing system then they would be amazing bikes.

Rickos
    Free Member

Thanks for the info chaps. Such a shame. Was hoping for a new frame or bike next year, so it looks like this one is off the list.

ART

Fantastic bike in terms of geometry and ride, but frame misalignment problems, meant the bushings were getting destroyed. Had several conversations with Keith the designer and the frame went back to Freeborn who were excellent – and it seems they will be leaving the Spitfire alone until Banshee can sort out their manufacturing problems, which may well include switching to bearings, which they probably should have done in the first place…

Shandy
    Free Member

I’m on a Dixon now too, the Spitfire is a great wee bike but the manufacturing tolerances mean they eat the bushings, followed by pivots/frame. I found Freeborn very good as well.

badunclang
    Free Member

Just been discussing the Banshee with Joe from Freeborn and he suggested the Dixon instead. He also said the frame is about to be reduced 😀

Any recommendations from Mr Mills or Shandy for the Dixon? Tempted to take one for a demo

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

On the grease thing, the instructions tell you to assemble with grease and to keep the grease topped up with the grease ports. The axles are machined with grease channels, so there’s no question that there was supposed to be grease in there from the factory.

mr_mills
    Free Member

Any recommendations from Mr Mills or Shandy for the Dixon? Tempted to take one for a demo

Yes… get one! It’s ace.

Behold:-

mr_mills
    Free Member

I’m not raving about the Dixon quite so much now that this has happened. Wasn’t a particularly bad crash although rocks were involved (Snowdon). The seat stay is knackered.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Update: Freeborn are going to keep me in axles for the rest of the year then send me a new Rune frame when they become available towards the end of the year. The new Rune will run bearings instead of bushes. Proper chuffed, can’t praise Feeeborn highly enough.

honourablegeorge

That’s impressive stuff – fair play to them.

duir
    Free Member

That really doesn’t suprise me as Freeborn have superb customer service and are spot on with warranties. The issue with the Spitfire isn’t the bushings so much as the design causes frame wear in the linkage over time and no amount of new axles or Igus bushings will solve that. Pity really as the Spitfire is a superb bike and so very nearly right.

Will be interesting to see what the re-designed version with bearings is like and I heard it will be 140mm instead of 127mm. Could be amazing as the Spitfire is a tough little machine with amazing angles. The designer is also a very approachable guy with the right intentions and great ideas so the next generation should be a winner.

Freeborn swapped my Spitfire for a Devinci Dixon for a few £100 and it is the most reliable full susser I have ridden and very tough (weekly excursions to Scottish DH tracks). With an offset bushing in the lower link, you get the same angles as a Spitfire but with bearings, 145mm and the same weight as a Spitfire, so I would take that option if they offer it rather than free axles and bushings for life!!

Either way you will end up with a superb bike that punches well above it’s weight.

mr_mills
    Free Member

an offset bushing in the lower link

Eh? Is this something you’ve changed yourself? Tell me more!

st

I understand that bearings are being pahsed in to replace the bushes,. this is a progressive things starting with the Rune. Spitfire is someway off and last I heard it would be late this year / early next.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Banshee/Mythic Spitfire – what's happening?’ is closed to new replies.