Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Banned footwear
  • Phil_H

I’ve just had a memo from the HR manager at work banning open toed sandals and flip flops through out my work place. Everyone has to wear flat leather shoes that cover the whole foot. Needless to say all the office staff have thrown teddy out of the pram over this.
    Looks aside I can see the point in not wearing sandals if you have to move heavy things about but for the those who work in an office it seems like overkill form someone who has trouble telling their arse from their elbow.
    All those who need to wear safety shoes do so already.

So what’s the best way to really annoy him without getting fired?? (weeing in shoes and owning with bombers would probably get me fired :D)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Crocs?

Pook

moccasins

thegreatape
    Free Member

Pook

crocs if you want to look like a mentalist

Bimbler
    Free Member

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I’ve been told off by the boss for going barefoot at work, but he admitted there was nothing he could do about it

soobalias
    Free Member

once they have asked you not to do it, its your problem if you trip over your stoopid shoes and break your neck on the stairs.

ignore it.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

’nuff said

xcstu
    Free Member

jesus!!

enfht
    Free Member

Phil_H

I like thegreatapes option.

Unfortunately or HR manager is the sort of humorless buffoon (I would call him a front bottom but at least they have a use) he’d probably try a disciplinary if it was ignored.

Socks with sandals, my dad does that…….

CountZero

Could the whole office boycott the ruling enmass, let him try to dissipline the whole place?

phinbob

Does it apply to both genders?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

STRIKE!

One out; all out.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

this happened at my work place. It was following the incredible number of people that kept falling down the stairs when they tripped over the ends of their flip flops and then had to have ambulances called out to them.

Should really be an individual decision, but with the H&S laws the company could not ignore it. Even down to the point that the stairs now have notices on them telling everyone to hold the handrails 🙄

Sandwich

As safety shoes are in use in part of the workplace does anyone from the office have to enter that area? Ask to see the risk assessment that covers this decision, if there isn’t one someone is most likely on a power trip.

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Is that just for the men?

Phil_H

As far as I know nobody has had a footwear related injury recently.
    It seems to have been a unilateral decision on his part, even the health & safety coordinator doesn’t understand why this memo has come about.

I agree that flip flops are a bit of a no go because they can fall off easily.

It applies to everyone.

I think I’ll try and borrow some flippers off a mate who goes diving. See what he thinks of that when I’m next in work 😀

Anyway enough of work I’m off down the pub.

Mikkel
    Free Member

want to borrow some 1m long freediving fins? 😉

roundwheels
    Free Member

has there been a trend in foot accidents? and ask for there stats on all work related injuries by law they must record these sort of stats and declare them if there is no trean then some body somewhere is trying to justify there job

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

This is what you want then:

lowey

For some reason Greatapes pic made me p!ss my sides.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Its not about H&S its about image. Your HR dept don’t want you cutting about in sandals, it might make you act like you’re on holiday instead of working.

I worked in a call centre once where the dress code was very casual but one day they decided to change it and announced notrainers allowed, I bought a pair of slippers to change into at work just to make a point.

zaskar
    Free Member

Flip flops at work? lol.

Only for showers and swimming baths.

Otherwise you look like a chav and should be fined for wearing them.

Nah wear them-I need a good laugh…

samuri
    Free Member

no standard girls, heeled shoes then, none of them cover the entire foot.

Nick

Needless to say all the office staff have thrown teddy out of the pram over this.

Never ceases to amaze me how such minor inconsequential banalities have such a bearing on some people, so what if you can’t wear flipflops, even in my pathetic meaningless existance I have more important things to worry about.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

so what if you can’t wear flipflops, even in my pathetic meaningless existance I have more important things to worry about.

it’s a matter of attrition, as our freedom of choice is nibbled away at. Each individual loss seems trivial but they can mount up:-(

DrJ

In my last job my boss went barefoot at work. We hid hid shoes for a laugh.

That was in France, though, where idiosyncrasy is respected.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Superglue his shoes to the floor.

hot_fiat

Auzzie style thongs I can see being a potential hazard, but sandals? What will your Unix people wear?

Personally, I’d turn up in these for summer:

and these for winter:

gwaelod
    Free Member

but with the H&S laws the company could not ignore it. Even down to the point that the stairs now have notices on them telling everyone to hold the handrails

I know an organisation in Scotland that did this….minus 17 C one morning. Instant frostburn from the metal handrail if you had no gloves on

scotia
    Free Member

“I know an organisation in Scotland that did this….minus 17 C one morning. Instant frostburn from the metal handrail if you had no gloves on”

Really? -17°C in Scotland? Where?!

Tbh, when i worked for an oil company in London, the rules were the same for when off the vessels/rigs as on – as if we could have no LTI’s offshore why the hell couldnt we manage it onshore. It all comes down to a little common sense though imho..

redthunder
    Free Member

High Heels .

Rich
    Free Member

The fact men are wearing sandals to work worries me more.

atlaz
    Free Member

Got to agree with Nick. This is hardly a civil liberties issue.In this economic climate, if the worst your company is doing is stop you wearing stuff that is better left on the beach then you’re doing well.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Banned footwear’ is closed to new replies.