Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Badgers and trail building
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

Is there a law / moral code regarding building trails near badgers?

glenp
    Free Member

Pretty obviously (I hope) you already know the answer to that one!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member
    valleydaddy
    Free Member

give them enough mash potato and they’ll be ok 😉

bassspine
    Free Member

don’t worry the farmers will be out kill^^^culling them given half a chance

Stoner
    Free Member

Carry on.
    Just take care.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

If I knew the answer I wouldn’t ask. Doh!

Thanks – good to know.

bigjim

If you have found a sett you might want to report it to your local badger group so it can be recorded wrt any future development in the area.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

If it is a sett then its in the middle of a woods away from any development – I only found it while scoping out some ideas for lines. I imagine that riding past a set isn’t even allowed so I’ll divert it round to avoid causing any issues.

glenp
    Free Member

If I knew the answer I wouldn’t ask. Doh!

What? You mean you seriously were in some doubt about the relative importance of protected wildlife and scraping out push bike tracks in the woods?

Bushwacked
    Free Member

bigjim

I think the OP did a good thing in asking about it, not that many people know everything about protected species legislation!

Ewan
    Free Member

I think it’s a fair enough question – he said ‘near’ badgers. Whilst it may be obvious that you shouldn’t build a kicker out of the spoil heap it’d be useful to know how close you could get before you disturb them.

Badgers aren’t endangered are they? They’re about to cull a load…

keyses2

Its against the law to disturb badger setts, so if your trail runs close to one you could have a problem

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I’m gonna route the trail away from it, shame as it would have been ace, but means I’ll have to think about it a bit more.

Waderider
    Free Member

I have a trail that runs near a badger sett. I give them loads of space, tend not to use it at dusk/night so I don’t disturb them. Plus no heavy trail maintenance close by, just a bit of pruning.

Sometimes I go camo and sit and watch them though. That can be a lot of fun, in fact the best time of the year is upon us, when the cubs emerge. Except unfortunately my sett got dug over by badger baiters this year :cry:. They take mothers with newly born cubs because they are most aggressive 😥 So probably no cubs this year.

SPCA and police were informed for what its worth.

thv3
    Free Member

Waderider – Also make sure the local badger group and the likes of the Badger Trust, Scottish Badgers etc are aware of the incident.

Some real sicko’s out there.

mattsccm
    Free Member

don’t tell anyone. the local badger watchers will, given half a chance, stop all riding within miles. Badgers will not run miles just because you ride near them. they do not only build setts in secluded places. round here they build on the sides of roads kicking the spoil onto the tarmac, in the middle of well used green lanes, in the fences of the local industrial units that mends trains and are currently extending a sett under a tree harvester that is moved once a month. Consider the legal issues but the animals won’t care a toss if you use their spoil for a jump.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Interesting point of view Mattsccm and one which seems to be a little more down to earth.

Baffled me slightly how they are a protected species but then there are plans to cull them – WTF?

jedi

bushwacked, badgers have dug a sett at herts 🙂 🙂

Bushwacked
    Free Member

You’ll have to rip it all down then or you could smear naga round the rim of their sett so they stay safe indoors

jedi

they rock 🙂 badger central round my way

duckman

Oh and check what kind of Badgers they are, if it is this kind.

Run before it takes your shovel off you and beats you to death with it.

jam-bo

Used to be a huge step down over a badger sett at some woods I used to ride at. I guess you only disturbed them if you came up short…

bigjim

don’t tell anyone. the local badger watchers will, given half a chance, stop all riding within miles.

how will they do that, using magick?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Stoner – any more info on the cheating wife & the stripper wife?

Stoner
    Free Member

only if you’re into 1970’s big hair, ifyaknowwhatImean….

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Badgers and trail building’ is closed to new replies.