Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Backpacking in Central America…
  • TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Does anyone have any experience of backpacking in Central America?

Any top tips? Unmissable sights? Things to definitely avoid?

Many thanks.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Been a while, so some things may have changed significantly and there’s probably a bit more tourist infrastructure than when I was there 15 years ago.

Where in Central America are you arriving and how long are you going for?

If you’re after beaches, the Pacific tends to be warmer and Costa Rica tends to have the best beaches (the name kinda gives it away); taking a trip down to Corcovado National Park and stopping off at Uvita on the way comes highly recommended. Watch out for shady characters in Golfito.

Isla de Ometepe in Nicaragua is well worth a visit if you like massive freshwater lakes full of sharks and climbing volcanoes

Guatemala has the best overall blend of natural beauty, culture and accessibility; Lake Atitlan with its towering volcanoes, Tikal with it’s sprawling jungle ruins, hiking the highlands around Todos Santos Cuchumatan and the chilled vibes of Lanquin with caves, natural hot springs and tubing down the river in the twilight as bats flood out of the caves

Unless smoking crack and getting stabbed are the kind of thing you’re after, avoid Colon in Panama

I could go on…

Keva
    Free Member

I did an overland trip from Mexico City to Panama city with Dragoman back in 2007, it was ace. Thankfully when I went it was less than half the price they’re charging now, and luckily they still provide the trip details online if you want to do it yourself.

http://www.dragoman.com/holidays/details/pan-american-between-mexico-city-and-panama-city?did=87042

Moses

Not Central America but the Yucatan sin outhern Mexico, last year. The buses are excellent, making getting around easy. Visit the sites early in the day, before the tourists from Cancun arrive in their coaches. Make sure you swim in a cenote. Uxmal & Coba are much quieter than Chitzen Itza, so more atmospheric.

Also: Belize

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

The buses are excellent,

Be sure to take a bus over the Sierra Madre. Buses are run by rival companies, who race to get to the most crowded bus stops first. Chuck in some 4000m mountains and an unerring trust in God…
    If you survive, it’s a trip you will never forget!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Backpacking in Central America…’ is closed to new replies.