Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Advice on holiday in Belize?
  • Moses

Has anyone recently taken a holiday in Belize & can comment on things to do, public transport, hotels etc?

I worked there for a few months 40 years ago, and have an itch to return but don’t know whether the place would justify a fortnight.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I went about 20 years ago and it was starting to get some sort of infrastructure together. Two weeks and you’re just scratching the surface.
    A week on the reef and a week up the jungle in San Ignacio would suit me fine!
    An adventurous retired friend went a couple of years back and she loved it. Still chuckles at people talking like Pirates

acsevens

Spent 3 months there in 2001. It’s probably changed quite a lot since then! But I loved the place, bit run down but stunning scenery and the people were really friendly . Everyone speaks English. Easy enough getting about. As above, a week in the jungle and a week on the beach would be a good combo.

egb81
    Free Member

I went a few years ago and loved it. Base yourself in San Ignacio for a week and there’s loads of amazing tours. Actun Tunichil Muknal was incredible, as was Caracol. You’ll have to go on tours as the Belizeans are very hot on conservation and have basically left the sites inaccessible without a good guide. Tours are small though (max about eight people) and the guides are great. It’s all good value for money and you can haggle down prices if you book a load at once.

I also went to Caye Caulker, which is a tiny island off the coast. Amazing for snorkelling, scuba and manatee spotting. They have the world’s second largest barrier reef nearby. It’s a bit touristy though.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g291969-d300696-Reviews-Actun_Tunichil_Muknal-Cayo.html

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g291969-d300157-Reviews-Caracol_Mayan_Ruins-Cayo.html

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/belize/the-northern-cayes/caye-caulker

Moses

Well, Mrs M and I did go to Belize, which turned out to be the best holiday we’ve had for years. We saved money by flying Thomson to Cancun then bussing down to Orange Walk, which didn’t take much longer than flying into Belize City via the USA.
    So – a trip to Laminae Mayan ruins from Orange Walk via a wildlife river cruise
    – a beach holiday in Hopkins, with hired motorbike to Coxcomb, swimming in jungle waterfalls but not seeing jaguars.
    – hitching in the back of a pick-up truck, being dropped off for a cave walk and swim in a cenote
    – 4 days in San Ignacio, with a trip to Xunantunich (more Mayan ruins, fabulaous), canoe trip down hte Mopan river, cave canoes at Bartons Creek,
    – a couple of days at the Cayes, watching the fat Americans. Not my thing, the swimming isn’t great unless you like snorkelling which I don’t.
    – birdwatching everywhere and especially at Crooked Tree for Mrs M.

It was great. More expensive than I’d hoped, but we spent money on having fun.

doris5000

sounds amazing!

how many mossies / snakes / other jungle discouragements?

this would play a key part in whether I could persuade my other half 😉

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Advice on holiday in Belize?’ is closed to new replies.