Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Offspring with different accents to your own
  • sandwicheater

My partner and I are from somewhere South and come equipped with said accent.

We now live in Yorkshire, it’s our home and i don’t see us leaving. Two lovely children (3 & 1).

The three year old is forming a thick Yorkshire twang. I can’t work out why it grates me when i’m confronted with a flat Yorkshire Noooooo. We don’t correct him, what will be will be.

I don’t get it, i don’t mind other Northern accented folk who great me.

Anyone else have kids who talk funny? How much are elocution lessons?

DickBarton

They change with their surroundings…apparently until about 10 when whatever accent they have sticks.
    Be thankful it is Yorkshire, some kids in the street have thick American accents – due to the amount of crap us kids TV they watch (they only appear outside to get in a car to be driven somewhere)…pretty poor in my opinion.

legend
    Free Member

can’t work out why it grates me when i’m confronted with a flat Yorkshire Noooooo

Coz racist

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sandwicheater

That’ll be it 😆

spawnofyorkshire

My nephew’s yorkshire accent is so thick I can’t understand him half the time and I’m from here

Enjoy

bodgy
    Free Member

Coz racist

I’m sure that Yorkshire folk would love to be a race unto themselves, but they’re not. Lol.

RustySpanner

We don’t correct him, what will be will be.

Why would you ‘correct’ him?
    He’s doing nothing wrong.
    🙂

Hast tha considered a course in ‘ow ta speak proper tha sen?

Trekster

It’s a weird thing.
    Both my kids live in Carlisle having moved from Dumfries. Their kids have different accents.
    Sons 2 have broad Cumbrian/Carlisle accents like their mother and her family.
    Daughters 2 have acquired an unusually “posh/well spoken” accent, grandson has even started to call his wee sis “posh”….. Their dad has quite a “neutral” non accent possibly due to having travelled a lot with his family. My daughter is a teacher and even though she still has her Dumfries accent is “well spoken” but far from “posh”
    Both daughters 2 can get their tongue around the odd “och ” as in Loch and there is occasionally the odd Scottish twang when speaking

binners

Could be worse.

You could live in Birmingham 😀

Stoner
    Free Member

Unless your offspring wish to work as a BBC TV presenter in the future, beat all regional accents out of them. Go RP or go home!

sandwicheater

Why would you ‘correct’ him?
    He’s doing nothing wrong.

True Rusty, i know it’s not wrong but I just can’t help biting my lip when i hear it.

Perhaps i am racist. Just the other day i mistook a Lancashire accent for West Yorkshire, there just all the same to me.

RustySpanner

🙂
    I live on the Lancashire side of the border.
    It’s very confusing.

If someone is talking sense, I assume they’re Lancastrian.
    If not, obviously a Yorkshire native attempting to better themselves.

ads678

I’m from Leicester but moved to Halifax when I was 16, then travelled a bit, moved back to Leicester but have been in Leeds for the last 16 years. I’m 40 now and my accent is pretty non descript.
    My kids were born in Leeds and have a decent yorkshire twang, which I don’t have a problem with at all, but I don’t like the full on Leeds accent and do teach them to say certain things properly when they pick up really bad bits from school friends. I’m pleased they won’t get a Leicester accent as well though.
    Wife is from Halifax BTW so she also has a yorkshire accent.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Just the other day i mistook a Lancashire accent for West Yorkshire, there just all the same to me.

WTF 😯

I don’t know who you’ve offended the most with that comment!..

jimjam
    Free Member

Accents are one thing, inflections are another entirely. My daughter started nursery and comes home with a nasal high pitched moaning whine which goes up in pitch toward the end of every sentence. Once I noticed this I started to tune in to some of the mothers conversations at said nursery and notice they all do it too.

Utterly, utterly horrible. Imagine the Kardashians with a Belfast accent. Drastic measures will be taken to nip this in the bud.

chrisa87
    Free Member

I still pick-up the accents of where I’m living and working at 29. Lived in Rossendale as a kid (went to school in Blackburn where they called me posh, WTF?), then moved to Coventry via Hudds and Sheffield.

Somedays even I think it’s a horrible mix, especially when S Yorks thee’s and tha’s start coming through again

bob_summers

it grates me when i’m confronted with a flat Yorkshire Noooooo

I’m teaching English to about 80 kids from age 6 and they’ve all ended up with my accent, so if you are ever in San Sebastian and you are confronted by a flat Cumbrian Nooo, you know exactly who to blame!

nickc

I was a RAF brat, up till the age of about 12 or so we moved every two years, one of the last posting my dad had was Lossiemouth, for a bit I had a accent like the wee free… 😆

Luckily for me, his actual last posting was to Bucks, and I mostly have a decent accent 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

My accent is neutral, my wife’s American. At school they hear Cardiff accents all the time. They still manage to be almost entirely neutral with their accents, but they say “I done” rather than “I did” which drives me up the bloody wall.

Scapegoat

I was born in Birmingham. My Mother was from the south east and my dad was from Stetchford. Both spoke RP and I went to school in Oxford. As a result I speak with no discernible accent whatsoever. I studied in Sheffield and live and worked in West Yorkshire, as a cop. I met Mrs Scape at Sheffield (she’s from York). I have noticed over the years that her accent has softened. She had a noticeable York twang when I met her, altogether different from Huddersfield or Halifax accents.

Our twins are 19 now. There is a remarkable difference in the way they speak. Lad speaks very similar to me, but with a hint of northern vowels (he uses a short “a” in bath glass and path etc) but his sister has a much more noticeable Huddersfield accent. Occasionally even her mum will pick her up on some pronunciation (!) Her granny noticed it far more.

Chomsky spoke of LAD, language acquisition device, whereby humans pick up their language from environment. Mrs Scape agrees that my son speaks as he does because I am very much his role model, and because since he was a small boy he wanted to share leisure time in the company of other folk who also speak, broadly, like I do. His sister on the other hand has interests that are not, shall we say, quite as formal.

RoterStern
    Free Member

My kids all speak German as their main language at home. When they speak English two of them speak with a slight American accent which they’ve picked up from school.

vickypea
    Free Member

I love regional accents, they should be encouraged not eliminated!

ton

my 19 year old daughter speaks a different language to me, she speaks total bollox most of the time……. 😀

frankconway

@ton 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

Sarf London boy here with 3 kids who grew up in Surrey and went to private school. To be honest my accent is a bit Heinz 57 with traces of Australian and very occasional Mid Atlantic depending upon environment 😐

Regional accents are to be treasured.

My kids all speak German as their main language at home. When they speak English two of them speak with a slight American accent which they’ve picked up from school

I make a point of correcting my French relatives when they use American terms, not surprising given TV and Film content that they hear that most of all.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

My kids all speak German as their main language at home.

I find few things more bizarre than a small child speaking German.

It’s just not natural.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

my 10 year old daughter has delevoped a wee snobby accent, nothing like my broad Ayrshire dialect.

RustySpanner

My old fella was an ex Army Officer, pretty classless generic accent with traces of his Sheffield background.

He was pretty disappointed that I grew up speaking like John Cooper Clarke.

mickmcd
    Free Member

Nooooo. in yorkshire is pronounced neyw lad …God knows what your son is saying, sounds like Queens english

zippykona

Where in the country do you stop having a “barth” and start having a “baff”?

vickypea
    Free Member

I don’t say barth or baff, I say bath 🙂

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Living in Oz but our kids sound very English.

Got the in laws here and FIL from Bradford, our daughter’s started saying “up t”. Cracked me up when she said they were going “up t’ shop”.

Could be worse. I’m from wolverhampton!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’m teaching English to about 80 kids from age 6 and they’ve all ended up with my accent, so if you are ever in San Sebastian and you are confronted by a flat Cumbrian Nooo, you know exactly who to blame!

😀

Ee-yar, y’frm barra?

Northwind

Yeah, I mean, I’m scottish and Dexter Holland sounds all californian, what’s up with that?

zippykona – Member

Where in the country do you stop having a “barth” and start having a “baff”?

It’s Yorkshire, why would they need a word for bath?

HansRey

My dad’s got a Yorkshire Wolds accent which has been getting stronger. My mum is from Beverley and apparently it’s different, not that I can tell.

My brother mostly grew up in North Yorks, so has got a strong Whitby accent and picked up the local phrases.

My sister lives near Sunderland, so it a proper Mackem.

I’ve travelled a bit, so I’ve got Hull, South Yorkshire, North Yorks and RP. When drunk, i supposedly sound like i’m from Wakefield 😀

If you put me and my siblings in the same room, you’d think that we were adopted and shipped to different ends of the country

Moses

I volunteer in a localish primary school helping 8-9 year old kids learn to read. I’m pleased that although most of them are New British with a variety of maternal languages ( Portuguese, Somali, French, Wolof, Urdu, etc etc ) and don’t communicate in English at home, nearly all have broad Bristol accents.

jeffl

Grew up in south Bucks but now live in Chesterfield. The kids haven’t picked up much of an accent but if they use local phrases which are graatically incorrect e.g. “I won you” instead of “I won” or “I beat you” they get picked up on it.

Work with various people with regional grammar and it really annoys me when it makes it into work emails or documents, it’s just unprofessional.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

I find few things more bizarre than a small child speaking German.

Or Austrian, that duzz me edin 😉

kelvin

I’m sure that Yorkshire folk would love to be a race unto themselves, but they’re not. Lol.

Tell me, what exactly does the term “race” mean here?

Interestingly, when learning to teach using using fake phonics, teachers get marked down if not using local vowel sounds.

Yes, we have kids with Yorkshire accents (although their friends think they “sound posh”, which I presume means Southern).

funkmasterp

Anyone else have kids who talk funny? How much are elocution lessons?

I’m the exact opposite to you OP. From West Yorkshire and now living in Macclesfield. The missus is from Alderley Edge and there doesn’t appear to be any accent at all around here. This saddens me to the core as my son may grow up sans accent. Elocution lessons would result in your child speaking like Little Lord Fontleroy and this will not go down well in a Yorkshire playground 😉

I love regional accents, they should be encouraged not eliminated!

I could not agree more with this. Regional accents are brilliant.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Offspring with different accents to your own’ is closed to new replies.