Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Babysitters – what's the going rate?
  • KennySenior
    Free Member

We’ve only ever had adult friends babysit for us before, so obviously a few beers in the fridge and returning the favour does the job. But this weekend we are having a youth to look after them for a few hours, probably 4 at most. So how much do you pay them? (We have tried asking him, but just got a shrug and ‘dunno really’). Is £20 about right, or is that mean?

restless
    Free Member

£20 is fine i think.
    I used to pay £15 for 3 hours.

Make sure you tell them the rules before you go too . e.g I didnt allow their mates to come round .

KennySenior
    Free Member

Good idea

Markie
    Free Member

£5 per hour for us, rounding up in general.

beckykirk43
    Free Member

£20 is reasonable 🙂

crikey
    Free Member

Um, my GF used to do it, and I got a snog from the mum when they got home…

I suspect that was an untaxable benifit.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Childminders charge on average £4 per hour round my way for their services. So i would say £20 is more than fair for 4 hours.

KennySenior
    Free Member

Cheers folks

stevewhyte
    Free Member

So funny, people are happy to pay £5 hr to a spotty youth but take a fit at £4/hr for a professional child minder who is helping in the early years education of their children and trying to run a business.

What a strange world we live in.

KennySenior
    Free Member

Well that’s confused me stevewhyte, as the youth who looks like he’ll be getting £5 an hour on Saturday is our childminder’s son, who gets considerably more than that. I don’t know what to think now. 😕

Markie
    Free Member

but take a fit at £4/hr for a professional child minder who is helping in the early years education of their children and trying to run a business

Who has “taken a fit”? Certainly no one here…

flatfish
    Free Member

Our baby sitter for this weekend normally charges £7 ph but we round it up to £10.
    It’s very rare were out for more than 3 hours, so £10 is our bench mark.

RichJJ
    Free Member

We normally pay £20 but only because my wife says I’m tight for suggesting anything less !! I try to stay out a bit longer to get WFM, after all they’re not declaring it for tax 🙂

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Who has “taken a fit”? Certainly no one here…

I dont think i suggested anyone on here was taking a fit, just a general statment about peoples reaction to childminding costs.

timc
    Free Member

£20 & £20 to keep quiet about the lift home incident

KennySenior
    Free Member

£20 & £20 to keep quiet about the lift home incident

He lives 10 doors up the road so will be walking home.

I’d like to hear your anecdote though

windowshopper
    Free Member

stevewhyte speaks the truth. Mrs Windowshopper is a registered childminder and there are tales I could tell (but won’t).

samuri
    Free Member

I always this was how you paid babysitters

Is that not an option in this case?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Babysitters – what's the going rate?’ is closed to new replies.