Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Avid Juicy 7s problem – brakes rubbing
  • FallOutBoy
    Free Member

Not ridden my hardtail for a while as the forks were being services. Just tried to fit the wheels back on it and the brakes are rubbing (both front and back). I've tried to push the pads back with a screwdriver, which has helped a bit, but they are still catching the disc – the wheels will spin about 2 -3 revs then stop.

Will they loosen up when riding or am I going to cook the pads/discs?

edit: I've wound the adjustment all the way back

steveh

It'll make you a man 🙂

More helpfully are the pistons all the way back into the caliper? I find it takes quite a bit of work to get them right back. Might also be worth cycling them in and out a couple of times without the disc in to get them moving freely.

FallOutBoy
    Free Member

ta… off to have a go

cp

Several things to try:-

1) as suggested above, take pads out, and cycle pistons in and out a few times. Hold one piston in with a screwdriver whilst the other one pushes out. You don't need to go far – 2-3mm maybe. repeat 3 or 4 times per side. the idea is that you're getting stiction out of the seals by lubricating them repeatedly, this will even up piston movement. I find avid pistons need this every month or two, more in winter.

2) once you've done the above, push both pistons all the way back, re-install pads, and loosen the caliper mounting bolts so that the caliper moves about on the spherical washers. Put the wheel in the fork with disc on and tighten up the qr. with the caliper still loose, squeeze the lever a few times so the caliper self aligns, and whilst holding the brake tight on, pinch up the caliper mount bolts. Release lever pressure and fully tighten caliper mount bolts.

all the above will centralise the disc in the caliper. if it still doesn't work you may have a bent rotor or need to space the avid caliper bracket with spacers from the fork leg.

FallOutBoy
    Free Member

Thanks all… working well now 🙂

GEDA
    Free Member

I solved it by getting some Shimano brakes. No problems now.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Avid Juicy 7s problem – brakes rubbing’ is closed to new replies.