Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • AUTO GEARBOX + RWD + SNOW = ??
  • PTR
    Free Member

Driving home tonight for the first time since I got the autobox car, braking in the snow and the antilock was doing it’s best at the front, whilst the rear wheels are still pushing onwards. Quite scary, is this normal?

Zedsdead
    Free Member

What vehicle is it?

PTR
    Free Member

Vauxhall Omega, it’s been great upto now, but in the snow it was a bit disconcerting to say the least.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Can you turn the traction control off in it?

My uncle had a similar problem with his merc vito but turning it off meant he could get pretty much anywhere in it. And he live high up in the Angus Glens.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

BTW, great cars.

I had the 3 litre MV6 for a while and it was great fun.

Flaperon

You sure your rear brakes are working properly? While all autos have a bit of creep, foot firmly on the brake should act on all 4 wheels.

colande
    Free Member

dont think you want to be braking hard,
    not sure about new autos but can’t you select the lower range gears to slow ya down,
    I might be way off but in autos i’ve driven this has been the case,

not quite sure this answers the OP’s question though 🙂

PTR
    Free Member

The only way that it seemed manageable was to stick it neutral before braking. I’ll try the traction control tomorrow, thanks.

Adam_85
    Free Member

ABS doesn’t really work in the snow either.

MartynS

The only way that it seemed manageable was to stick it neutral before braking. I’ll try the traction control tomorrow, thanks.

thats the way I’d do it..!
    Been driving a rwd auto Merc Vito the last few days and it seems to always try to push you on even when you’re braking.

The traction control can be quite good at getting you away from slippy starts, again all I’ve been doing is sticking it in gear and taking feet off pedals and away it creeps.

Be careful turning off the TC and giving it a bootful, you may end up facing the other way

Spud

A bit of getting used to for me yesterday too, first time in this weather in the same set-up. I think the auto helped maintain a steadier pace to be honest.

br
    Free Member

I had a 3.0 MV6 too, loved it – and far more space inside than my current 5 series plus the bikes on the towbar rack had no impact on mpg.

But both are as bad in the slippery stuff; the Omega would happily flash the traction control light off just in ‘drive’, without any throttle applied.

coffeeking
    Free Member

You sure your rear brakes are working properly? While all autos have a bit of creep, foot firmly on the brake should act on all 4 wheels.

Last thing you want in snow is to be putting your foot firmly on the brake, unless stopped.

Yes, RWD autos in snow are, generally, bloody horrible beasts – there’s little you can do about it.

And yes, I’ve pulled the ABS fuse on my car too adam85, as it does make stopping notably worse *in snow*.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘AUTO GEARBOX + RWD + SNOW = ??’ is closed to new replies.