Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Audi Heater Matrix – Help and Guidance required
  • younggeoff

Hi, looks like the heater matrix in my Audi has popped 🙁 and from what I understand it's a big job to change it. I think I can bypass it in the engine bay so the car's still driveable.

Question is do I need to change the matrix or will some Radweld fix the problem?

tron
    Free Member

Radweld might fix it, but my experience is that it also buggers up radiators, so you just end up with a different problem.

If you're patient and careful, you can probably have the dash out and put a new matrix in over a weekend. It's not hugely complicated, just time consuming.

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes you can bypass it and engine will be fine but without heating pain in the ass to do as you have to remove so much stuff to get at it
    Radweld may work but I prefer
    http://www.proppa.com/k-seal-cooling-system-repair-98-p.asp
    thread here
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/peugot-box-van-leaking-heater-matrix

younggeoff

thanks for the comments guys, I'm loathe to use radweld etc and am fortunate enough to have a garage. The Car's got aircon so I think I'll need to get that emptied professionally before I start the job too.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Good luck, let us know how you get on. I've ordered some K-Seal to hopefully fix my van heater matrix.
    I'd never do this to either of my cards but the van is pretty old and hardly used so I'm not too bothered. I'll be posting an update in a couple of days.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Buy a Haynes manual. Read up how to do it. Then do it. I think the AC matrix is separate to the heater matrix.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

What makes you thnk the matrix has gone (i had similar and turned out I just needed to spend £40 and sorted)

bigyinn
    Free Member

AC matrix is usually a seperate item from the heater matrix, but lots of taking a apart required.
    Be prepared to have no knuckle on your hand retaining skin by sunday!

mk1fan
    Free Member

Bushwacked,

VAG heater matricies have a habbit of dumping their contents in the passenger footwell. Not always when the fluid is cold.

younggeoff

There's a definate coolant smell and the screen is steaming up, last night when I cranked the temperature up to full steam came out of the central vents and then the screen completely misted up. Got the Haynes manual, also got a copy of the offical Audi workshop manual on disk so I'll be doing a bit of reading, think I'll be ending up with something like this to get to the heater matrix. Later models have an access hatch.

spooky_b329

Yeh fuss looks about right! A good tip is when you remove the steering wheel, is leave the nut on a few turns so when eventually comes loose, you don't smack it into your face 🙂

hamishthecat
    Free Member

+1 for mk1fan. My Mk2 GTI had a recall for the heater matrix IIRC.

takisawa2

Wouldnt have thought it should take more than a days spannering & swearing to swap the heater matrix.

chopperT
    Free Member

Pretty much the first part to go into the car is the heater core, so…. everything else must come out to replace.

younggeoff

Yep I had a heater core replaced on my old Mk2 16V I'd heard about the recall and managed to get it done before the offical letter arrived.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Audi Heater Matrix – Help and Guidance required’ is closed to new replies.