Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Audi A4 Avant: Which tyres?
  • armchairbiker

As there’s a good few STW car “experts” here’s a question for you:

I’m currently looking at changing from my current brick of a car for something smaller but still practical.

I’m really tempted with the audi a4 avant and like the S line version. However when looking for a 2nd hand one (less than a year old) a lot seem to have been upgraded to the 19″ wheels. Whilst it makes the car look great – I wouldn’t thought it needed that size and more importantly it will cost a lot to get new tyres.

Anyone got a recent A4 with experience of the bigger wheels? I have found a couple with 18″ wheels which seem more reasonable.

-m-
    Free Member

My preference would be for the 18″ over 19″ – ride is marginally better and the tyres are cheaper to replace. The larger wheels add nothing more than ‘style’.

The ride on the S-Line is rather ‘firm’, but not as bad on the A4 as on the A3.

In addition to the larger wheels being easy to kerb, note also the leading edge of the front bumper is not actually the bumper part, but two sticky-out bits at the lowest point – these are very easy to knock and damage when parking.

jp-t853

I know a driver who has an A4 Avant S-line and it is killing his back, everytime he gets in a standard SE version he feels like he is in heaven. He really can not wait for the three year contract to finish in September.

A combination of firm suspension and big alloys is not good for ride quality.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    damo2576
    Free Member

A4 Avant S Line here with 18″, not sure about tyre costs as I lease but remember S Line is firmer and 10mm lower than normal I think.

armchairbiker

Cheers. Wife has an A3 S line already – some that’s firm enough.

I want it at least you still have a decent firmish ride for cross country driving

qwerty
    Free Member

S Line = 18″, 20mm lower & stiffer

jonnyboy77
    Free Member

I have a 2006 A4 S-Line and the ride is firm but not uncomfortably so (for me anyway). My dad has the same era Passat though which is much softer – the downside is that it rolls around more when driving ‘enthusiastically’ 😉

I run standard 18″ wheels and they are shod in Pirelli P-Zero (the OEM choice for this model) and replacement costs have typically been around the £150 mark if you shop around.

– Jon

armchairbiker

Jon – thanks. I got to drive a A4 S-Line with 18 inch tyres today. It was firm but not too much for what is going to be a family estate car. So its bought now 🙂

Just got to get roof rack now!

valleydaddy
    Free Member

I’ve got a latest A4 Avant SE and the tyres are expensive.

True the lease company goes through Kwikfit but the last bill for 4 Pirelli was over £800 😯

Seemingly they are heavy on front tyres I go through a pair on average every 10-12k.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

4 Pirelli was over £800

**** Jesus. 😯

*resolves to go easy on the throttle this year*

NZCol

I’ve got an RS4, i don;t even want to talk about the tyres on that !

luke
    Free Member

If your worried about the speed that your car is eating the Piri on the front don’t go with conti, you’d be looking more like 8k miles for a pair.
    For an S line on 18’s I’d opt for mich, piri or Dunlop
    and in the 19’s piri or mich.

NZCol

Actually i just found the invoice, brace yourself, $800 a corner.

😯

Discounted 40% as well.
    EDIT: Which is about two of your earth pounds and fifty pence given the kiwi peso.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

If your worried about the speed that your car is eating the Piri on the front don’t go with conti, you’d be looking more like 8k miles for a pair.
    For an S line on 18’s I’d opt for mich, piri or Dunlop
    and in the 19’s piri or mich.

You’re not wrong there I’ve had them all over the past 2 years and yes Pirelli’s just get munched 😯

armchairbiker

NZcol:

“I’ve got an RS4, i don;t even want to talk about the tyres on that !”

I’d say the tyres are the least of your expense – one of my friends has a S4 and I’ve seen how that eats petrol. Though it does sound great and goes like it sounds

mightymarmite
    Free Member

I’ve got 19″ x 245 on a 59 XF, replaced them in feb for £205 per corner. Like audi they eat pirellis, but the dunlop sports have lasted 20k for me, plus have a buffer line to help prevent curbing.

Only hassle I had was sourcing winter tyres, and they ended up at £280 per corner! It was only marginally more expensive to fit a set of cheap 18″ rims with winters by comparison.

I’ve always purchsed through mytyres.co.uk who deliver free of charge to the local garage (hawthornes in Sheffield) who fit them for £10 per corner.

Also check with your insurers, if the 19’s are considered non standard … it will cost, tesco quoted an additional £ 590 to have the 18″ rims on even though they are a factory option for lower models, and £215 for having winter tyres fitted (hence direct line now have my policy).

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Audi A4 Avant: Which tyres?’ is closed to new replies.