Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • At last … its official!
  • BermBandit
    Free Member
    TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

So you’re saying that ministers are experts in weight loss then?

How many members of parliament are on the portly side, one wonders?

Stoner
    Free Member

hold your horses there BB.

The cynical left will be a long in a minute to “j’accuse” the powerful processed food manufacturing lobby who have got away with dodging profit-cutting legislation.

Because that’s what all we simple citizen maggots need: legislating our way to obedience and state dependancy! Nurture me, oh Motherland!

GrahamS

“Health secretary Andrew Lansley said councils could help by developing more schemes such as cycle lanes and green spaces.”

And then announced 50% cuts to council budgets to “promote efficiency savings” 😆

toppers3933
    Free Member

its called doing more with less graham. its the current industry phrase of choice.

grum
    Free Member

Health secretary Andrew Lansley said councils could help by developing more schemes such as cycle lanes and green spaces.

While his government makes massive cuts to local councils. Hmmm….

The cynical left will be a long in a minute to “j’accuse” the powerful processed food manufacturing lobby who have got away with dodging profit-cutting legislation.

You really don’t think the food industry lobby has had influence here?

Because that’s what all we simple citizen maggots need: legislating our way to obedience and state dependancy!

Yes it’s clearly much better for their to be no counter to the massive amounts of advertising for unhealthy food that people are bombarded with on a daily basis.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

its called doing more with less

Which is the message behind the weight loss strategy… this is almost beautiful.

willard

Wasn’t the government’s latest healthy food strategy thingy sponsored by PepsiCo or Mars or soemthing? I’m sure there was no conflict of interest there…

grum
    Free Member

Does anyone really believe this governments fondness for industry ‘self-regulation’ (ha!) has altruistic motives? Works really well for the press, as we have just seen.

binners

The fast food industry was basically invited in to write its own ‘voluntary regulations’

With actually, some quite startling and shocking results!

Not really! They were entirely predictable

Bazz

Whilst it may seem obvious to many you’d be surprised how many people out there just don’t get even the basics of nutrition, education is the only answer, in schools from a young age.

And whilst i don’t agree with the whole nanny state thing just look at the “official restaurant” for the 2012 Olympics – Mcdonalds! what sort of message does that send?

5thElefant
    Free Member

If we overeat by 10% the solution is obvious. Put 10% VAT on food.

It doesn’t cost anyone any extra. Everyone stops getting fat and the deficit is reduced.

pixelmix
    Free Member

If we overeat by 10% the solution is obvious. Put 10% VAT on food

How is that fair to those of us who don’t overeat by 10%? Those of us who stay fit and healthy with a balanced diet and lots of exercise need to eat to replace burnt calories. Taxation doesn’t solve the root cause of the problem, although successive governments seem to think that just tinkering with tax here and there will magically cure the country of its ills.

BermBandit
    Free Member

tinkering with tax here and there will magically cure the country of its ills.

Whereas we all know that not being a porker does that for you…..

GrahamS

Does anyone really believe this governments fondness for industry ‘self-regulation’ (ha!) has altruistic motives?

I wrote to my MP a while back while the EU were looking a food labelling laws. I wanted Palm Oil to be properly declared as an ingredient (for boring hippy reasons that I won’t go into), currently it is usually just “vegetable oils”

He wrote back and said he agreed with all my points, thought it was very important, but that forcing companies to change their labels might cost them money, so instead the party preferred self regulation.

The fact he was quite so bold about it kinda floored me a bit.

BermBandit
    Free Member

Its bash a fatty day

blimey they’re really having a go aren’t they??

donsimon
    Free Member

Isn’t it simply a question of exercise? Whenever I go to the supermarket is easy to find the sugar laden foods, ergo no exercise. If I want some nuts, I have to search high and low burning lots of calories.
    Solution, hide the sugary foods.

cranberry
    Free Member

And then announced 50% cuts to council budgets to “promote efficiency savings”

Call it weight loss for councils – don’t you want them to be leaner and fitter ?

donsimon
    Free Member

Call it weight loss for councils – don’t you want them to be leaner and fitter ?

Not until they’ve been educated otherwise we’ll have very efficient fools.

mogrim

Is there actually any problem with people being overweight, other than they’re ugly to look at?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

The cynical left will be a long in a minute

Funny how a blinkered self-serving right-winger is one of the first to pop up on this thread though, eh? 😉

toab
    Free Member

Is there actually any problem with people being overweight, other than they’re ugly to look at?

Yes, I work in a hospital processing discharges for financial and statistical returns – overweight and obese patients cost a lot more to look after. Not to mention the high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes etc they tend to develop which costs the NHS a small fortune.

grum
    Free Member

I seem to remember there was a study recently suggesting that lack of exercise was more of a health problem than being overweight, ie being fat but active is better than thin but inactive (which is good news for me 😉 ).

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

One of my neighbours she jogs round the little park every morning, a few hundred metres at best, and reckons she does ‘adequate regular exercise’. She is obese, drinks way more than yer recommended amount, and does bugger all else but sit about all day. At home she sits watching telly most of the time.

She can’t work out why her blood pressure is so high. 😐

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I say ‘jogs’; having seen her, I’d describe it more as a ‘brisk walk’ really.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Funny how…

Almost sounding cynical there Elfy 🙂

El-bent
    Free Member

Someone mistaking cuts=efficiencies.

Funny how a blinkered self-serving right-winger is one of the first to pop up on this thread though, eh?

We’ve had too many people like him running the country and it’s ended up fat…and broke.

GrahamS

hang on I’ll ask my wife. Oh no I can’t, she’s still at work, busy dealing with a horde* of fat biffas in the diabetes clinic.

*what is the correct collective noun for a group of fatties anyway? A buffet?

scaredypants

It won’t be pleasant but it’ll be good for all concerned; I suggest any MP who votes for this has to take part in a televised miss world style swimwear parade round the green

toab
    Free Member

*what is the correct collective noun for a group of fatties anyway? A buffet?

A Buffet of fatties – LOL

mogrim

Yes, I work in a hospital processing discharges for financial and statistical returns – overweight and obese patients cost a lot more to look after. Not to mention the high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes etc they tend to develop which costs the NHS a small fortune.

Yes, but I thought that in the long run it costs less – most of us will probably need some serious medical care at the end of our lives, just that the fitter amongst us will have been drawing pensions and using public resources for a lot longer before we need it…

And lol@ “buffet of fatties” 🙂

mogrim

mogrim: Is there actually any problem with people being overweight, other than they’re ugly to look at?
    GrahamS: hang on I’ll ask my wife. Oh no I can’t, she’s still at work, busy dealing with a horde* of fat biffas in the diabetes clinic.

Probably should have said that I was thinking about it from a public/state point of view, not from the individual’s – obviously suffering from this kind of problem is a major disadvantage to the person concerned!

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘At last … its official!’ is closed to new replies.