Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • ASDA……..Good grief!
  • toxicsoks
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24278768

I have no words…..(well a few but they’d get deleted). 😐

lucien

Now that’s funny. Not the costume, the fact that some idiot marketing guru at Asda thought it would be a good idea….imagine the meeting with all the suits sat round and Johnny boy making a pitch as per the go compare ad at the mo!

fubar
    Free Member

I must have lost my moral compass [fails to be offended]

yunki
    Free Member

I havta say, as a long term mental health service user, and previous in-patient, I am rather taken by this outfit..

I personally think it looks a bit more weddingy than Hallowe’eny though

Fubar – I think the problem arises from people suffering with mental health issues encountering enough stigma with myths which are all too often perpetuated in popular media, and now it would seem, supermarkets..

Stigma is the very last thing that a vulnerable, confused and often very afraid member of society needs..

nealglover
    Free Member

I must have lost my moral compass [fails to be offended]

Me too really.

Jamie
    Free Member

Just change the costume name to ‘psycho killer’, and the professionally offended would be fine with it.

…although it really seems ok as it is.

trail_rat
    Free Member

yep and what about all the psychos that will be offended.

seen far more offensive and distasteful costumes out in town on a halloween – or any given weekend i venture in for that matter.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Why is no one worried how vampires feel. Nobody ever thinks about their feelings.

It’s in bad taste but really, it’s a Halloween costume and films portray this all the time.

Also this was yesterday morning and Asda already removed it. You can however buy similar at my local fancy dress shop. Shoul I go in and tell them it’s not on?

yunki
    Free Member

it’s not the costume.. it’s the name of the costume

Jamie is right.. Psycho Killer wouldn’t cause any offence, psycho’s are a proud people 😈

glupton1976
    Free Member

It was apparently called a zombie killer suit on Asda’s site….

grahamg
    Free Member

That’s diabolical really, as mentioned, so many other descriptions could have been used. Because we really need to keep reinforcing the mental health stigma don’t we.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If something’s for Hallowe’en, surely it’s not for real life?

I would have thought that it was the one time of year left when bad taste was ok and funny. However, I can understand how mental health charities are seeing this as a reinforcement of a negative stereotype. And given what it’s being “called”, I’d probably not buy it. Perhaps they can tackle the Horror Film industry next. They have a lot of work to do.

Calling people who stand up for others “professionally offended” is just another lazy stereotype of course.

Edric64
    Free Member

What next NHS take offence at all the slutty nurse fancy dress costumes ? 😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

description is the issue really, struggles to GAS

Calling people who stand up for others “professionally offended” is just another lazy stereotype of course.

yep but we need a name for those who feel the need to write to their MP just in case nobody else was offended.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

“That’s diabolical really, as mentioned, so many other descriptions could have been used.”

Diabolical ?? Really?

Just because Moreen in the online shopping dept was given a photo of the item and told to load it up onto web and she thought “What’s this?”…. “Oh I don’t know”…. “I’ve got 50 other thing to get loaded up before I my lunch break”…. “I’m looking forward to my jacket potato”….” “Looks like a nutter, Oh I can’t say that !! It’s not PC. Ok then mental patient”… “that’ll do”… “now where’s that wagon wheel, I’m Hank Marvin!!”

It’s a cock up…. they have said sorry , made a donation… would have been end of… apart from the fact all the do gooders are now drawing attention to it.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

great ramble Ro5ey, but I think it’ll be ones of the buyers who’ll be getting a talking to.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It’s a cock up…. they have said sorry , made a donation… would have been end of… apart from the fact all the do gooders are now drawing attention to it.

Is it, or are the “PC Gone Mad” brigade shouting equally loudly about it?

CaptJon
    Free Member

Great way to get free advertising about your range of Halloween costumes.

martinhutch

PC Gone Mad? That’s an equally offensive term to use! I am outraged etc etc etc…

wors

What next NHS take offence at all the slutty nurse fancy dress costumes ?

Pics? 😆

will
    Free Member

Edric 64 – Member
    What next NHS take offence at all the slutty nurse fancy dress costumes ?

😆

piemonster

I’m more offended by the offended than the offending item.

Suffice to say my offence ‘o’ meter hasn’t actually registered any notable reading on either count.

I apologise insincerely to anyone this causes offence too.

Jamie
    Free Member

Well. You would say that.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

I’m more offended that people with mental health issues are being lumped in with meat cleaver weilding scary faced mental patients. I for one will be putting pressure on Asda to donate a large sum of money to the F. O. N. (friends of nutters) for the distress this may have caused.

Or, we could just get on with life and not get offended by every bloody thing we see

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Are we still at that stage where we have to explain the word “offended”?

unovolo
    Free Member

Don’t know what the fuss is about ,theres tons of films showing people in Strait jackets flipping out,Inbreds, deformed Rednecks & Hill billies and no ones shouting out to get these films banned and pulled from the shelves.

Whats to stop me from making my own homemade version of the outfit?
    Would the do gooders start chasing after me then.

I think most people would understand its just pretend,personally I think it looks more like a sloppy butcher anyway.

DezB
    Free Member

I personally, have been going round removing these signs from all offices in the local area.
    Disgusting.

neilthewheel

Hallowe’en? Pah…Our local pub has its Christmas decorations up already.

peterfile
    Free Member

This is an outrage.

I’m equally outraged by the number of hollywood films which use mental health patients to fuel their sinister/scary plots, which is presumably what this costume is in reference to (rather than actual real life mental health patients, who for the most part don’t look like zombies and cover themselves in blood).

bikebouy
    Free Member

You often see folks dressed like that in the street never mind at #beastyboyvoice “paaaartays”

Wrong branding name, shame they had to pick on a vulnerable section of our society..

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I found it rather funny although I wouldn’t buy a costume like that, if I was in the market to buy a costume that is.

Anne Summers must be having a stock re think too

wwaswas

This might be popular:

BoardinBob

I’m assuming you have to purchase the copy of the Daily Mail separately?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I CAN see what the fuss is about. I’d imagine they bought a job lot of costumes from a supplier and forgot to check them. But still… simply labeling it “Mental Patient” and showing someone covered in blood and wielding a meat clever IS wrong.

Its not the costume, its the description.

If they’d have called it “Hollywood’s interpretation of what they think a Mental Patient is” then fine.

Houns

As a diagnosed mentalist I don’t think the costumes are in bad taste, just think the name of them is

wwaswas

I don’t think the costumes are in bad taste, just think the name of them is

I think this is probably the best take on the whole thing.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

It’s ridiculous.

I also, on occasion, suffer some mental health issues.

And I don’t look anything like that; I dress up as a clown.

Into the van houns.

LenHankie

From the description, I was expecting a costume more like this:

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘ASDA……..Good grief!’ is closed to new replies.