Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Army Gear for riding
  • rocky-mountain
    Free Member

Just been looking at this

http://www.silvermans.co.uk/ProductDetails/tabid/89/Department/Military/Category/JUMPERS+FLEECES+++TOPS/ItemDescription/DESERT+UNDER+ARMOUR+SHIRT/ItemId/14019/Default.aspx

Seems ideal, if its good enough for the army

Anyone use army kit? Seems cheaper!

also looking at ponchos as an alternative to a space blanket for emergency. We were riding on the weekend, ended up with on of the gang having a twig going down his ear and perforating it! We are tooling up for first aid kit now….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

ROYAL NAVY SUB SWEATER BLUE

Made in the UK by the government manufacturer. These superb 100% wool sub sweaters are the same design as the original wartime and early RN issue sweaters, however the machinery to make the really heavy gauge knit is no longer available so the knit is slightly lighter. Current issue to Royal Navy submarine crew. You will not be disappointed with this item. Genuine with reinforcement patches inside neck.

Just what you need

bruders338
    Free Member

I have loads of this stuff…

And need to get rid….

mattjg
    Free Member

The goretex overtrousers are brill and a steal at 20 quid or so.

I cut down my first pair but that was a mistake – for cold or wet riding, keep them long so water doesn’t run into your boots.

They are light, have plenty of space, breathe well, waterproof, windproof, and not boil-in-the-bag (& I run hot on a bike). But 1 waist size up from your normal.

steveoath
    Free Member

Mattjg – do you mean they come up a size bigger or should you buy a size bigger?

Speshpaul

bigger they are over trousers for over your combat trousers not lycra.

mattjg
    Free Member

as Paul says, buy a size bigger, I am 32 inch waist and bought 34

Trekster
    theotherjonv

ROYAL NAVY SUB SWEATER BLUE

Made in the UK by the government manufacturer. These superb 100% wool sub sweaters are the same design as the original wartime and early RN issue sweaters, however the machinery to make the really heavy gauge knit is no longer available so the knit is slightly lighter. Current issue to Royal Navy submarine crew. You will not be disappointed with this item. Genuine with reinforcement patches inside neck.

Further on – size guide – Size 1 = 36/38, size 2 = 40/42, size 3 = 44/46, size 4 = 48/50

Are there many 50″ chested submariners? Don’t they jam up the hatches?

mattjg
    Free Member

Don’t they jam up the hatches?

They use the torpedo tubes.

cookeaa

Surplus DPM goretex over trousers chopped off for use as shorts here, utter bargain, only issue is that Camo shorts od look a bit ****, but for the money they still piss all over some £60-80 Endura/Altura/etc effort…

loughor
    Free Member

Agree, it’s all good stuff. Love the Camelbak as well, ideal for shorter rides

rossi46
    Free Member
    rossi46
    Free Member

£15

Perfect for trail maintenance 😀

supremebean
    Free Member

Cam cream = camouflage cream. For covering your face and hands while doing covert operations!

johnellison
    Free Member

^^With these you can sharpen two edges and use it as a make-shift axe, too!!

ffej
    Free Member

Cam Cream

If you’ve never had to wear it.. just be thankful! It’s as unpleasant as it sounds.

J

ffej
    Free Member

To the OP..
    Don’t think the UBACS shirt would be much good.. padding on arms isn’t much. Not a substitute for proper pads. Pockets annoying to get into.

The Basha / Poncho (waterpoof sheet for sleeping under) would be ok as an emergency shelter. You generally need a few trees and some bungies to make it work though. Can be used as an excellent emergency stretcher though should you need to evac your riding buddy from the trail.
    Packs down to a sausage about 25cm by 10 in diameter.

J

Saccades
    Free Member

G10 as a replacement – just got one and very impressed.

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

Hi thanks for all the replies,

The UBAC shirt would be for general riding, not launching off cliffs. was interested in the coolmax fabric.

i reckon the next look will be camo all over, so you disapear in the trees:)

and whats wrong wrong with woollen jumpers? swobo anyone?

any more links would be good.

the injured rider was in the army and fire brigade, so as long as he can talk we can patch him up etc.

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

Any links for army gear suitable for riding?

tazzymtb

^With these you can sharpen two edges and use it as a make-shift axe, too!!

I’ve still got the training instructions on how to use an entrenching tool in close combat with a sharpened edge

mrelectric

They’ve got strings vests! How retro can you get!
    We know a song about that, or at least Viv Stanshall did.

I was looking in the underwear section for commando pants but they must be out of stock.

As this is a bike forum ( mostly) if you went for the woollen tartan kilt would it be acceptable to wear a padded liner?

cookeaa

What The Hell Is Cam Cream ??

No use for preventing saddle sores…

Those folding shovels are great for about ten minutes then they break and you realize a £6 job from homebase would have been a wiser investment.

user-removed
    Free Member

I have a couple of pairs of the Goretex camo trousers and have never been able to bring myself to cut them down into shorts because they’re just so brilliant as Winter walking over-trousers. I also have the matching jacket – equally as good, but very, very bulky so it’s not suitable for sticking in a rucksack ‘just-in-case’.

But both items keep everything out. Used the full on ghillie suit combo in the foulest of weather and stayed warm, dry and comfortable. Doesn’t ‘sweat up’ inside when you work hard either.

somouk
    Free Member

The UBACS shirts are okay but can get a little uncomfortable and rub a bit if worn for a long time.

The padding in them can also make you look a bit silly if you get one that’s too big!

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

How much padding is the UBACS shirt?
    Was thinking it was just plain material.

mattjg
    Free Member

@rocky I got trousers fron ‘Guards Army Gear’ via ebay.

chiefP
    Free Member

Cam Cream is awesome it takes you back to your teenage years (All Spotty) 😀

somouk
    Free Member

There is some padding on the shoulders and the elbows/forearm, nothing major, it’s just designed to help with carrying loads and prone position firing.

Might get a bit sweaty on a ride in the summer but would probably help keep you warm in winter.

dave360

The flying trousers sound fun

Duffer
    Free Member

There is some padding on the shoulders and the elbows/forearm,

You can take the pads out… It’s pretty horrible stuff.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Army Gear for riding’ is closed to new replies.