Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Arkose 3 2015
  • 182herring
    Free Member

Hi

I’m about to order a 2015 Arkose 3 and was wondering about mudguards. On the Evans website it says the crown on the front fork isn’t drilled (as per an answer to someone’s question on there). Is drilling a hole something that can be easily done myself? Could I damage the fork doing this?

Also, are there any alternatives to drilling a hole by using other types of mudguards? Can anyone recommend any (front and back)? This is my first bike since I was a kid, would the old style plastic guards that clip on the down tube look totally naff?

Cheers for any help.

Luke

182herring
    Free Member

Shameless bump!

fubar
    Free Member

search the forum it has been discussed…here….

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/mudguards-on-a-arkose-3

and

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/pinnacle-arkose-three-jameso-to-the-forum-please

I think if you read through those , if I remember correctly, that on the 2015 model it is drilled

jameso

On the Evans website it says the crown on the front fork isn’t drilled

Fubar’s correct. There was one drop of 2014 bikes where the eyelet was missed – all 2015s have an M5 eyelet under the crown. Direct fit by removing the upper part / upright of an SKS L-bracket and drilling it, or use a guard with a removable crown bracket.

jet26
    Free Member

As above. Very neatly done it is too.

Just been out on my new 4 today. Guard going on next week.

4 is worth a consider – the hydro discs are absolutely awesome. Single finger braking even in the wet and very controlled. I can see for winter commuting an idiot avoidance in Leeds they are going to e rather useful!

Great bike jameso – well impressed!

jameso

^ great stuff : )

182herring
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Most helpful.

Size wise I’m not sure whether to go for small or medium. I’m about 5’7″ so that puts me on the upper limit of a small frame and the lower limit of a medium. I’m going to try the bike for size but not sure what size to get them to order in.

When between 2 sizes, is it better to go for a smaller or larger frame?

jameso

Only you can answer that really, there’s no rules. Some will say go smaller on a CX bike (I don’t agree but it seems to be road race vs CX race wisdom and I don’t race), others will say go larger for longer distance comfort (don’t fully agree with that either)

On the basis that a higher bar and a shorter stem (it’s already fairly short though) is often a good thing on a non-race all-rounder bike, you could go larger. Or, go smaller if that doesn’t sound appealing.
    Also it has a 74 seat angle so when you’re out of the saddle it’ll feel more like a 73 seat angle bike with 10mm more on the ETT – ie the Reach is roomy for the ETT. That may mean the S frame isn’t as small as you thing when compared to another bike you may like the fit of. HTH.

182herring
    Free Member

Thanks for the info. I think I’ll order in a large and see how that goes, I won’t be racing on it. Hopefully Evans can help me out when I’m actually sat on it.

jameso

I think at 5′ 7″ a large will be too big, but the M may well feel ok. There should be a M and L in stock in one model or another, the S may be an order-in if it’s not one of the larger branches.

182herring
    Free Member

Sorry, meant medium not large. It’s the Bristol store so quite a small shop but it’s quite hilly in places so I can give it a good rest ride. Beforehand. I assume climbs will be easier in the smaller frame.

cgreggers
    Free Member

Guards are on.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Arkose 3 2015’ is closed to new replies.