Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Argh – bloody Fox
  • Flaperon

New bike, decided to do seal service following guide on Fox’s website.

After wrapping end of screwdriver liberally in electrical tape, applied a bit of pressure under the seal. Seal flexes, screwdriver pings out straight into stanchion. Deep scratch 6mm long on stanchion despite the tape.

FFS, if Fox are going to describe this as “essential” maintenance, it should be harder to screw up. They’re only six weeks old and are now, effectively, worthless.

lemonysam
    Free Member

you’re blaming them because you’re cack handed?

wwaswas

Aren’t you supposed to take the lowers of the stantions before popping the seals?

Bad workman, tools, apportioning blame etc. 😉

imnotverygood

I blame Wiggle…. Oops sorry wrong forum.

nonk
    Free Member

I takes about ten mins to take the legs off and do it properly!

orangefatlad
    Free Member

what nonk says ^, i learned that recently…..

matt_bl
    Free Member

To be fair, you do need to undo a nut on each leg to remove the lowers.

Matt

ScottChegg
    Free Member

it should be harder to screw up

I’m surprised you didn’t take your eye out on the way.

Next time, it’ll be a child’s face. Come on Fox! Take responsibility.

Klunk
    Free Member

the best way to lift the seal (without removing the lowers) is a big big flat screwdriver, place under the lip and twist, move around and repeat.

creamegg
    Free Member

you can do them as described in the OP but i prefer to drop the lowers. Much easier, prob quicker and you can give the stanchion a good clean at the same timen and no risk of scratching forks.

Use the open end of a spanner to gently wrench the seals out.

Jamie
    Free Member

To be fair, you do need to undo a nut on each leg to remove the lowers.

A whole nut! But I’m tiiiiiiiired 🙁

robarnold
    Free Member

I rounded off the head of a chainring bolt earlier. Curses to you Mr Shimano!

Seriously, get the lowers off, fill the scratch with araldite then gently rub down with wet and dry with a long thin strip around the stanchion. They’ll be as good as new

roverpig

Excuse my ignorance, but why would you want to take the seals out without removing the lowers? Isn’t it the oil in the lowers than needs to be changed frequently?

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Or just get some decent forks that don’t need servicing every other ride. *runs away*

Frankers
    Free Member

This “was” the way Fox advised you to service lowers

Northwind

Do Fox still recommend it? They certainly have in the past, as part of their demented service regime, but it doesn’t look like they still do.

I’m with the OP tbh. Well, kind of, I’d never be in any danger of damaging the fork doing that job but demanding that Joe Public does it is always going to lead to a certain number of scratched forks. It’s not a sensible thing to recommend.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Argh – bloody Fox’ is closed to new replies.