Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • WWII Dornier bomber
  • tails
    Free Member

Firstly that’s a lot of money to raise a load of corroding metal and secondly as it’s the only one don’t the Germans want it? Do they have war museums in Germany I’ve never been lucky enough to visit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22846645

Have it flying in a week 😆

CountZero

I’m sure the Germans would love to have it, but it was in our coastal waters, and we raised it.
    A few cans of WD40 will put it right, that’s for sure. Now, if they can only find a Ju-82 Stuka…

Underhill
    Free Member

Real life Airfix collection.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

According to an article in the Telegraph : The aircraft is said to be in “remarkable condition”. Other than the effects of the sea, such as barnacles, coral and marine life, it is largely intact. And they publish this photo :

Now I’m no expert but that doesn’t look like an aircraft in “remarkable condition” to me. It looks like a total wreck.

They then go on to say : The main undercarriage tyres remain inflated but the propellers clearly show the damage inflicted during the bomber’s fateful final landing, experts have said.

Yeah right. It’s those damaged propellers that are a dead giveaway.

Last surviving German bomber lifted off bottom of the Channel

Merak

What happened to the umpteen Spitfire’s than were found buried underneath that runway in Burma?

stewartc
    Free Member

I imagine that bomber will get dropped off at a local Essex garage and it will be ‘cut and shut’ back to its former glory in a week.

Apparently the Spitfires in Burma did not exist and the operations been called off.

GrahamS

Pfft that’ll polish right out.

hora
    Free Member

I bet in the vast expanses of Russia there are lots of basically mint German planes, tanks etc. Youtube/Russia turns loads up

stumpyjon

Does seem like a lot of money for a hunk of metal. It’s not like we don’t have other WWII aircraft in museums. Mind you on the subject of celebrating war and wasting money i hear the culture secretary has 4 years of events planned to remember WWI. Not sure that’s justified or healthy.

hora
    Free Member

WWI should be remembered and for the right reasons. A hideous waste of youth. Everyone should visit Tyne Cot once.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Putting aside the morality of war for a moment, events like this serve to remind us that the attrocities of WW2 are still in living memory. Never forget is so apt.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Not reading of any bodies recovered, I assume the crew bailed-out?

natrix
    Free Member

Two dead and buried elsewhere, two survived as POWs

nickc

Ju-82 Stuka

[spotting nerd]
    Stuka was Ju 87
    [\spotting nerd]

GrahamS

Mind you on the subject of celebrating war and wasting money i hear the culture secretary has 4 years of events planned to remember WWI. Not sure that’s justified or healthy.

Around 16.5 MILLION people died in WW1. And it massively shaped the world we live in today.

That’s justification enough I’d say, as long as any events focus on the horrendous cost of war to all sides.

scotroutes

And the likelihood of that is? Still, better that a government stirs up national sentiment in order to gain re-election by using a previous war than going and starting a new one.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

To be fair though, I think any govt of any party would be marking the centenary of WW1.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Still, better that a government stirs up national sentiment in order to gain re-election by using a previous war than going and starting a new one.

UH?

You think stirring up national sentiment about a war that’s nearly 100 years old is going to get the Govt re-elected?

Sorry, serious fail on your joined up thinking there Sir..

hora
    Free Member

It wasn’t a glorious war. It was horrible. Carnage and disgusting waste of lives. Its an anti-ad for war. It should be repeated and played to school children rather than the fancy Army or RAF-ads that you see now that make it look like fun.

ahwiles
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member

better that a government stirs up national sentiment in order to gain re-election by using a previous war than going and starting a new one.

mrlebowski – Member

UH?

You think stirring up national sentiment about a war that’s nearly 100 years old is going to get the Govt re-elected?

Sorry, serious fail on your joined up thinking there Sir..

(to me at least) it’s not completely unlike a strategy being used by that charming Scottish fella who’s name sounds a bit like one of these:

hora
    Free Member

On another note- from the sonar etc and the subsequent raising it looks like its broken up a fair bit once they started lifting.

RustySpanner

hora – Member

WWI should be remembered and for the right reasons. A hideous waste of youth. Everyone should visit Tyne Cot once.

I agree wholeheartedly.

One particular inscription ends ‘I did my best. Please remember me.’
    😐

I think about that place often.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

raising it looks like its broken up a fair bit once they started lifting.

According to the OP’s link :

“The operation has been an absolute success, the aircraft looks great….”

tinsy
    Free Member

Its worth note that the plane is upside down. (I had not spotted that until I watched the video)

Anyhow, I think its great they have lifted it.

hora
    Free Member

Rusty I cried there. I couldn’t help it. It was the recorded reading of the names on repeat outside the visitors centre that set me off. That and the simple realisation that I was stood in a graveyard where none had died of old age.

Coyote
    Free Member

Its worth note that the plane is upside down

Of course! If I turn my display over then it looks in much better condition. 🙂

zilog6128

rather than the fancy Army or RAF-ads that you see now that make it look like fun.

These really hack me off. Especially the RAF one that announces “no civilian casualties” or something after remotely “taking out” some baddies like on a computer game.

hora
    Free Member

..and you can kill the enemy whilst sat in a nice warm Ops office totally out of arms-way.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Ends of the wings broke off as it was being lifted – if they had remained intact it would have looked a lot better. Maybe they’ll bring those up as well.

dannyh
    Free Member

A Stuka was a Ju87 was it not?

Ju88 was the twin engined bomber (that could also used as a dive bomber) which was used in the Battle of Britain with the He111 and the Do17.

Ju 82 didn’t exist. The 88 series was also extended to some very cool-looking planes, most of which didn’t make much of an impact (other than the Ju 188). See Ju 188, Ju 288, Ju 388 and Ju 488.

Now if someone could find something like an Arado AR234 (with the backward firing cannon) that would be very cool.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I think scotroutes may have been referring to the Falklands non-war

jimster
    Free Member

Do they have war museums in Germany I’ve never been lucky enough to visit.

I don’t think they remember/celebrate it with the same fervour we do, went to Munich once to various palaces/museums and it tended they tended to concentrate on how they looked after the bombings and how they’d rebuilt it to their former glory.

As for what happened, I don’t think they want to advertise it TBH.

As an aside why all the D-Day programme’s this week, yes I know it’s an anniversary but 59 isn’t a significant figure.

john_drummer
    Free Member

69 is a more interesting number though 😉

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

As an aside why all the D-Day programme’s this week, yes I know it’s an anniversary but 59 isn’t a significant figure.

I think what is significant is that there is an ever dwindling number of D-Day veterans. Recognising their achievements, and remembering the ultimate sacrifices their comrades made on the beaches of Normandy, probably seems more appropriate now as they become frail and less likely to see another anniversary than when they were relatively young and healthy and plentiful in number. imo

Junkyard
    Free Member

Believed to be the only intact example of its kind in the world

If you borrowed my car and brought it back that intact I would be somewhat disappointed

What is the point it is basically wrecked and ruined. It wont so much be repaired as rebuilt
    Pointless IMHO

stumpyjon

I wasn’t suggesting WWI shouldn’t be remembered, quite the opposite, but 4 years of events announced up front smacks of milking it for their own ends as suggested above. I’ve been to some of the cemeteries in Burma, very sobering, looking at the ages of those buried there was quite shocking.

Personally I think we should remember the end of the war properly in 4 years time, not celebrate the anniversary of it’s start and each famous slaughter in between.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I have never know WW1 to be remembered in terms of celebrations. In my experience the focus is always on the appalling loss of life, the horrific conditions in the trenches/frontline, the futile offensives ordered by callous generals, and the cruel execution of young men suffering from shell shock/post traumatic stress.

I can’t see any evidence to suggest that for the first time in a hundred years WW1 will be celebrated.

And as for the claim that politicians will milk the anniversary of WW1 to gain popularity, well that’s just bizarre.

WW1 is a reminder of national stupidity, not national pride.

zokes
    Free Member

One particular inscription ends ‘I did my best. Please remember me.’

That’s possibly the most moving thing anyone’s ever repeated on STW.

hora
    Free Member

WW1 is a reminder of national stupidity, not national pride.

I’m ‘glad’ in a way that everywhere you go there is a monument (very often put up at the expense of the local community) with the names of the WWI local lads lost. Even in small villages you can see the names and the effects it must have had on the community.

Without these it’d be very easy for those to slip away from our thoughts wouldn’t it?

Most certainly not of national pride. Sending men over the top at walking pace in the face of chattering machine guns.

duckman

Did they Beat the drum slowly, did the play the pipes lowly?
    Did the rifles fire o’er you as they lowered you down?
    Did the bugles sound The Last Post in chorus?
    Did the pipes play the Flowers of the Forest?

And did you leave a wife or a sweetheart behind
    In some loyal heart is your memory enshrined?
    And, though you died back in 1916,
    To that loyal heart are you forever 19?
    Or are you a stranger without even a name,
    Forever enshrined behind some glass pane,
    In an old photograph, torn and tattered and stained,
    And fading to yellow in a brown leather frame?

Lyrics from the green fields of France, the last 4 lines I find especially sad. I am taking pupils to Belgium next year, including some who could never afford it thanks to the grant given to every school in Britain. From that point of view, I am glad that the aniversary is being marked. There will never be anything like visiting a war grave to explain more powerfully the cost of war in a far more eloquent way than any book ever could.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘WWII Dornier bomber’ is closed to new replies.