Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)
  • Are you in the top 50 places to live?
  • Rockape63
    Free Member

The Halifax has just announced the 2015 best places to live in the UK and it appears its rather grim oop North!

Here

Our little corner of Surrey (Mole Valley) is up to 7th, which backs up everything we ever say about living around here…..its got a lot going for it!

slowoldman

That’s just the Halifax’s way of keeping Southerners out.

vondally
    Free Member

No 91 but I do live in NW England

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Yeah. Australia voted second best place for “quality of life” in the world.

(Apart from our internet…)

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

LOL Winchester

toby1

In at number 9, it’s nice enough, but the local off-road riding leaves a lot to be desired!

willard

9 here as well. Odd that, I don’t like it as much as some other places.

grum
    Free Member

😆

binners

When we get electricity and running water we’ll be in there in the top ten, I’m sure of it!

zippykona

18 with a bullet.

mudshark
    Free Member

Mole Valley at Number 7, best bit closish to London which is best for me, would prefer somewhere in the Cotswolds though.

langylad
    Free Member

91 here, not bad considering we must be terribly shackled by our proximity to Blackburn and Burnley.
    Another building society did one of these a few years ago and we were in the top 10. Must have had a section on the quality of the local sausages 😀

matt_outandabout

I see.

This is a study where earnings, house prices, exam results and fast roads means you do well..

But lower earnings, lower house prices, an education system less focused on exam results, great community and riding in mountains from your door score low….

I have made my choice.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yeah. Australia voted second best place for “quality of life” in the world.

Massive country, quality of life varies massively though. Eg Perth vs Sydney or Melbourne ?

Lived in Guildford for 20 years, 30 mins to London on train, Heathrow or Gatwick. 90 mins to channel tunnel. Great riding from the front door. I wouod certainly say its worthy of the top 10. Central London most recently, convenient for work / social Monday/Friday but not so great for outdoors so not really for me. Interesting to see Winchester and especially Eastleigh so high up, spend my weekends around there and for me its no where near Surrey for a variety of reasons

badnewz
    Free Member

Just through by the skin of our teeth at number 50.
    That’s a big drop though and I suspect the fact that we are being dragged into greater london is a reason for it.

darrell
    Free Member

No1 best country – Norway

davidjey
    Free Member

I see.

This is a study where earnings, house prices, exam results and fast roads means you do well..

But lower earnings, lower house prices, an education system less focused on exam results, great community and riding in mountains from your door score low….

I have made my choice.

This. I only skim read it trying to ignore all the clickbait, but they didn’t seem to mention what their criteria actually were at all….

aphex_2k
    Free Member

jamba…. not my list, blame the ruddy UN. I was surprised too. I’m from Wolverhampton though so being on the plane over for 22 hours was already an improvement.

tomnavman
    Free Member

Having read that top 50 list I can gladly say I don’t live in any of their ideas of the “best” places to live in the UK.

My ideas of best clearly differ!

slowoldman

Yes it’s good to see non of the shit holes like Swaledale have made it into the top 50 and Northumberland is way down the list. Horrible, grotty, dirty places.

angeldust
    Free Member

I had to go into Stevenage yesterday. Plenty of places down south are complete sh*t holes.

brassneck

Stevenage isn’t the south, it’s way oop north if you ask me.

brassneck

Stevenage isn’t the south, it’s way oop north if you ask me.

tiggs121
    Free Member

What Matt outandabout said….I have made my choice too!!

lemonysam
    Free Member

This. I only skim read it trying to ignore all the clickbait, but they didn’t seem to mention what their criteria actually were at all.

Well if it’s the same as the usual one they trot out each year the priciple criteria seem to be wealth, daylight hours and lack of rainfall. In other words “proximity to the southeast”.

cokie

I’m in 2 of those- I live on the border 8)

ThePinkster

Hmm… it’s a bit subjective, isn’t it? Asking someone if they consider themself healthy rather than using actual definable data?

hels
    Free Member

I was very amused by this on the Scottish news this morning, where it was billed as “Orkney Best Place To Live In Scotland” with no mention that it was number 83 in the UK. So parochialism lives !

Double amused in fact, as my Father’s family emigrated from Orkney to live in (drum roll) Christchurch !! Good choice, people who are dead now…

P.S that’s the Christchurch in the south island of New Zealand, not the one in deepest darkest Engerland.

AD

I’ll stick to Cumbria thanks – even when it floods…

hatter

Number 13 here, lucky for some!

As for

I had to go into Stevenage yesterday. Plenty of places down south are complete sh*t holes.

I see your Stevenage sir and I raise you… Luton!

onandon
    Free Member

I live in fleet which is Hart. Score – number 1 🙂

jimdubleyou

I live in Richmond Upon Thames (just over the border from 😯 … HOUNSLOW).

I can’t say it’s awesome but it’ll do.

martinhutch

Whenever I see a list like that I assume that some weighting has been given to average earnings. Which is ironic given that in half the areas listed, people on bigger salaries will have less disposable income once their massive mortgages/rent are taken out.

I mean, FFS – Chelmsford? I grew up there. It’s a boring, dreary, chavvy town surrounded by pretty dull countryside.

sadmadalan

Another Fleet inhabitant, more by random chance than planning

alpin
    Free Member

Yes, Munich…. Consistently in the top five best cities to live according to UN, Mercer and Monocle lists to name but a few.

Safe and clean;don’t have a problem with the GF wandering home at night alone. Lots of green spaces in and around town. Plenty of jobs (but not enough affordable housing). Close to the alps and good transport links to the rest of Germany as well as Austria and as such Italy.

Beer’s not bad, either…. (b)

chewkw
    Free Member

It does not matter where you live if you have shite income even the best paradise in the world will be shite to you … coz you are still begging shite for others’ left over.

darrell – Member
    No1 best country – Norway

Not if you live in their foreign slump …

matt_outandabout

I see your Stevenage sir and I raise you… Luton!

I raise again with Slough.

alpin
    Free Member

It I were to return to the UK I am adamant that I would not be relocating to the south East…. Folks live in Chelmsford (#25) but my blood pressure rises as I ride or walk through town….
    Far too many people round here. (and is going to get worse given the amount of housing going up.) Traffic jams from 3 till 7 during the week as every **** seems too lazy to walk or ride anywhere (and I’m including both my immediate and extended family in that), not helped by the crappy infrastructure.
    And the riding is crap.

Same can be said for most of the south east, imo.

South West of “The North” for me if I were to return….

grum
    Free Member

If we’re doing stupid lists – I live in the ‘fourth funkiest town in the world’ apparently.

http://www.hebdenbridge.co.uk/news/news05/17.html

fasthaggis

“Orkney Best Place To Live In Scotland”

They only allow you to move to Orkney ,if you swear to always vote for Orkney in the best place to live in the world Scotland polls.
    FACT

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Are you in the top 50 places to live?’ is closed to new replies.