Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 170 total)
  • Are we heading for a second recession? and ….
  • mudsux
    Free Member

Apparently, Europe is on the brink of a meltdown and a double-dip recession is looking increasingly likely. And how will this affect house prices?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Good questions. I liked the interview with a government chappy the other day "a double dip recession is looking increasingly inevitable"…. eh?

But on the positive side, I love a double dip!

the-muffin-man

We've not come out of the first recession yet!!!*

(OK technically, on-paper we have but thats a load of rollocks).

epicyclo

The recession never went away.

coffeeking
    Free Member

No-one's defining it as a second recession, just a second dip within the recession 🙂 Hence the name "double dip recession".

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Can we still ride our bikes.?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Probably. But don't expect to be able to afford to fix them, so go careful 🙂

binners

Its going to get a lot lot worse before it gets any better. Whoever gets in after the next election is going to have to take an axe to public services that will make Thatcher look like some kindly benevolent aunt. Anyone who doesn't think that's the case is living in la-la-land

If I was working in the public sector I'd be preparing for unemployment. As I work in the private sector I don't have to prepare as I'm already there. Hurray for capitlism!!!

wombat

What tyres for the second dip? 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

high rollers 🙂

ooOOoo
    Free Member

'buy now, pay later'
    Welcome to later 😥

coffeeking
    Free Member

I never bought, thanks a bunch!

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

As a public sector employee I'm almost waiting for the inevitable "chat" to happen, despite the "reassurances" that healthcare won't be effected. Bollox, my employing Trust is going to be in massive debt shortly as the PFI funded new hospital will be opened – despite Labour many years ago pre a general election stating that PFI was a bad idea and that they'd be abolished – yeah, right!

Trailseeker
    Free Member

A lot of things seem better than they really are at the moment because all the things that are used to calculate figures have been held artificially low for sometime.
    When Interest rates rise, & the effect of low VAT, stamp duty, car scrapage schemes etc are factored in it looks very drastic indeed 😐

lowey

As binners said, after the election we can look forward to massive cuts in public spending, inevitable increase in taxation, inflation on the up, house prices stagnant, banks refusing still to lend to business or indeed provide any sort of support and increasing unemployment. It really is a very very bleak picture.

kimbers

already starting to see more repossesions come on the market round our way (london)
    once the interest rates rises in earnest then we will be seeing a lot more
    should have an effect of lowering prices quite a bit

how much money could be saved if we pulled out of afgahnistan tomorrow?
    would that be enough to avoid the worst public service cuts?

and europe could take a lot longer to come out of this than us, which sucks coz they are our biggest trading partner, so will keep us from comming out quickly

corroded
    Free Member

I don't see things getting better for Britain than where they are now for at least a decade. The cost of living will go up (with higher and more volatile energy prices as Asia booms) but wages won't. Spending will contract further. The picture for the whole of Europe looks very gloomy: currently in places like Italy and Germany, there are four people taxpayers for every state-supported citizen (pensioners etc). In a few years that will be three to one.

cheers_drive

This is depressing, I may as well of got into massive debt for the last 10 years like all the other idiots out there.

avdave2

Should I cash in my shares now?

lodious
    Free Member

Dunno about other sectors, but engineering looks a whole lot better than this time last year.

TimP
    Free Member

At least it is sunny outside (in Brighton)

headfirst
    Free Member

Yeah, cheer up everyone, if we think we're in a recession then we'll stay in one.

kimbers

i wouldnt worry too much about it all

a) there is nothing you can do

b) economists have an incredibly poor recent track record on predicting the financial future

c) there is always a lot of doom mongering spread around before a general election

d) the media loves a good scare story

e) you can always go and ride your bike, which makes everything seem a bit better ime

f) oh yeah and a house price crash would be great for me as i could get on the property ladder and the insane property prices in this country in general could be sorted out

binners

Yeah… your right. Rousing chorus everyone 😀

soobalias
    Free Member

the public sector will not really start to feel the pinch that the private sector felt till the new financial year.

add to that a government who will put off the inevitable till after the election…..

and
    and
    AND
    the chilterns are really soggy at the moment 🙁

ooOOoo
    Free Member

If we'd not had the boom, and then the bust, would we have ended up roughly where we are anyway?

tron
    Free Member

I'd love a good house price crash. They're too bloody expensive, and it doesn't do anyone but owners of multiple properties any good.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I'd love a good house price crash. They're too bloody expensive, and it doesn't do anyone but owners of multiple properties any good.

But a price crash hurts current owners, which isn't nice. (I'd like one too but I'd not like to see others in my family in massive negative equity even more).

backhander
    Free Member

Yeah a property crash and the associated interest rise is just what the country needs 🙄
    Do you want people to lose their homes?
    If you can't afford a house, look for a smaller place or get a better paying job.

JCornford

Please no house price crash, I am close to completion on mine and it's been a real struggle to get back on the market.

oldgit
    Free Member

Feeling it badly in my trade 'Electrical' linked to building and industry.
    Figures were going up until Dec 2009, the weather might be an issue in my line of work, but I'm seriously bunny nosing.

tails
    Free Member

get a better paying job.

Easier said than done 😡

Colin-T

If you can't afford a house, look for a smaller place or get a better paying job.

A shame the third option of "Borrow far far more than you can afford" is no longer available to those trying to get onto the housing ladder.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

We could be in Haiti with a limb roughly hacked off and all our close friends and family dead.

No you're right, not being able to put a massive palace on credit is worse.

Shandy
    Free Member

Its going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

One thing though, banks will still lend to trading businesses. Now that they've been bailed out they are going back to "traditional banking" which means LIBOR plus 3% and a nice hefty arrangement fee. Good for them.

zaskar
    Free Member

I disagree, the model of capitalism is working -we 've had the dip and now we're stabilising and can come out of this with time-how much I don't know.

People are taking other jobs with less pay and hrs.

This has been happening for years.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

how will this affect house prices

It might force them back to a realistic level.

it's been a real struggle to get back on the market.

Are you mental? By struggling to get "into the market" you help fuel said market and create the struggle for yourself. It's a recession. House prices are unsustainable. If you wait, they'll fall, you already know that.

backhander
    Free Member

No they can't. There's too many sold at the high price.
    A crash would see too many people bankrupt and the lenders with properties worth less than they lent to the buyers.
    these prices are here to stay mate.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

, the model of capitalism is working

Over priced housing that many first time buyers can't afford.
    The goverment printing money it doesn't have.
    Business collapsing and jobs being lost.
    Tens of billions to bail out the banks.

How would you describe capitalism not working?
    ..or..
    You are Gordon Brown and I claim my £5

lowey

get a better paying job.

Genius. My problems are over. Thanks for that.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 170 total)

The topic ‘Are we heading for a second recession? and ….’ is closed to new replies.