Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • are taxi drivers that bad!
  • legend76
    Free Member

ima taxi driver and we seem to get alot of bad press . are we really that bad or are we just an easy target?

druidh
    Free Member

There are lots of you, driving in and around the busiest streets. It's therefore inevitable that there'll be some conflict between yourselves and bikers.

Having said that, I think anyone who is being paid to drive somewhere under any pressure of time is carrying around an additional risk.

snaps
    Free Member

For consistant bad driving & ignoring the highway code they REALLY are that bad around our way.

scaredypants

Bit like lorry drivers & van men, they're on the road a lot so that the inconsiderate (or plain shit) ones get a lot of opportunity to "meet" cyclists

legend76
    Free Member

theres not many road cyclists where i live but i do come up against consistently bad driving from members of the public who always seem to think i'm in the wrong even tho i'm not. i just wonder if i.m an easy target lol

Peregrine
    Free Member

So far the only car to actually make contact with my bike was a taxi!!!

However i'm sure not all taxi drivers are bad people, i'm also sure not all cyclists are good people.

legend76
    Free Member

i get abused daily for driving within the law and rights of way so much so that if become imune to it, so sometimes i think if i can.t beat them join them and live upto the rep

taxi25
    Free Member

Nope just an easy target. Taxi's are noticeable and visible,I drive around all day, I stop, do u turns park in narrow streets, bus lanes were ever. Not because I feel like it but because I have to in order to do my job. And my job is providing a service to all of you out there. If I'm double parked in a busy street it's because someone has ordered a taxi and can't be bothered to come out and meet me, you can't just cruise past and Bu%%er off.
    For what it's worth taxi drivers have fewer accidents per mile driven than the average motorist (500,000 for me and counting ) In 20yrs I've only had two runins with cyclists ( no accidents just near misses) One was totally his fault ( riding off a pavement at speed and trying to go around the front of my car, as I was pulling out of a junction ) The other time I could see how he thought it might have been my fault, but it was just one of those accumilation of circumstances. In both cases I was subjected to foul verbal abuse,being a cyclist I forgave them and put it down to the release of adrenaline you get with near death experiences.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

i just wonder if i.m an easy target

Well considering that you've just asked a bunch of cyclist their opinions concerning taxi drivers after announcing that you are one yourself, I would say yes, you are indeed an easy target – well far too easy for me anyway.

Although I suspect as a cyclist yourself, you undoubtedly show the utmost respect to other cyclists – as you tear around Britain's roads terrorising and upsetting other drivers 😉

legend76
    Free Member

haha i'm immune to upseting other drivers,well the bad ones anyway,its what keeps me interested lol but like taxi25 said mile for mile we are the safest.in my company the last two years there has been 12 crashes and every one has been members of the public crashing into taxis.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

mile for mile we are the safest

Only because most sensible drivers get out of your way 😯

every one has been members of the public crashing into taxis.

Haven't we all felt like doing that at some time ? 🙄

Onzadog
    Free Member

As an ex instructor I tend to notice a lot of bad behaviour from lots of road users. I think what doesn't help taxi drivers is that often their first response is to point out they are professional drivers. However, these professional drivers have no more driving qualification than the standard L test. The hoop they're asked to jump through by the local authority doesn't really ensure a higher standard of driving ability. Would it have an effect if all taxi drivers (HC&PH) were advanced drivers with regular tests?

By the way, are we talking Hackney Carriage or private Hire here?

uplink
    Free Member

Perhaps some of them could learn what the correct use of the horn is?

Talking about the private hire guys that don't seem to give a toss what time of the day or night it is when 'announcing' their arrival at the intended victims pick up location

aP
    Free Member

Depends whether you mean black cab or "green disc" private hire.
    Certainly round here the black cab drivers are generally pretty good, although being professional drivers who know how big their vehicle is they can drive "close" – green disc taxi drivers are much more aggressive, speed very obviously (80 in a 30 from personal experience) and as a cyclist having to avoid one is maybe not a daily occurence but certainly a weekly one.
    This would be London experience, if you're in the shires I couldn't say.

legend76
    Free Member

regular tests for all road users in that case! imo somebody who does 1000 town miles a week is going to be more alert and competant than grandma going to the shops once a fortnight then parking on double yellows whilst trying to get the car through the shop window so they dont have to walk five yards

legend76
    Free Member

both taxi and phv

hora
    Free Member

50-something taxi driver jumped out of his black cab outside East Croydon station once to 'sort me out'. He was very angry and thought that because he paid tax driving on the road that he was directly funding the roads upkeep himself. I made the mistake of cycling up his lane and holding him up. Jeesus. I imagine hes had a heart attack by now with the anger.
    In Manchester there are a definite mix. The City-supporting salt of the earth types who are nice blokes and the 70mph in a 30 to get to the next pickup first. The latter I bet are run on a shoestring/low pay as they tend to be first generation Asian, monosylabic with cars on their last legs. Sorry, its an observation based on weekend taxi-use!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Legend76, I agree. I think everyone should be tested regularly. I also think that someone should get longer between tests if they take the advanced test.

Most things that someone does professionally are more tightly controlled than if they did them personally. However, driving seems to be the exception to the rule. Local authorities seem far more intested in the paperwork exercise that the drivers ability or more importantly, attitiude. I can imagine that the good taxi drivers are getting well and truely fed up of being shown up by the poorer ones. I'd also imagine that the good drivers would have no objection to regular and stringent testing if it sorted the wheat from the chaff.

The real problem, with everyone on the road, is that they assume they have a right to drive rather than seeing it as a privellige. I saw something the other day about old people who shouldn't really be driving anymore (comment made after independant testing and I know, it's not just old people) but the arguement offered in their defence was that it was their freedom. When did that become reasonable grounds for risking someone else's life?

IanMunro
    Free Member

I'm not sure about more alert (terror through lack of experience makes people pretty alert), certainly someone who does a 1000 miles a week is going to have a far far better understanding of the surrounding environment, and a greater appreciation of the probable risks. Probably less cautious than grandma. I guess there's a graph to be drawn with the lines cautiousness and competence, with somewhere near where the lines cross making the safest driver. I think black cabs, mini cabs, and airport transfer cabs probably occupy different areas.
    Sales reps have their own separate power point presentation.

Onzadog
    Free Member

however, don't under etsimate the danger of complacency which happens to a lot of people who do the same drive again and again. It's why most crashes happen closer to home.

legend76
    Free Member

well the police do seem to turn a blind eye to elderly drivers, just the other day whilst aproaching a junction one of those mobility scooters came hurtling around the corner on the wrong side of the road then proceded to charge at me. i think the authoritys are trying to push up standards but your right it all seems to be ticking boxes and paperwork.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I used to make a point to my students when they'd tell me how much experience they had. Is that 1000 miles of experience or 1 mile of experience repeated a 1000 times.

Experience isn't what you've done, it's what you've learned. Lots of people go through life learning very little. if they're lucky, most of the time they'll be surounded by people who have learned a little and they'll get away with it.

legend76
    Free Member

onzadog thats true i'm always gobsmacked it the comments made to me at work and wonder how people get as far as they do in life haha
    common sense is not common

uplink
    Free Member

Do taxi drivers have legs?

Serious question really as I've never seen one out of his car 😉

legend76
    Free Member

only when a blonde babe needs help with her cases! 😯

hora
    Free Member

Do taxi drivers have legs? dunno but some definitely smoke in their cabs.

legend76
    Free Member

oh well they all must smoke in there cabs then

legend76
    Free Member

some people rape,some murder ,some beat people up, but hey those guys smoking in their cabs….well i just can't let it go!

hora
    Free Member

'Some' legend. I said 'some'. Its usually the ratty/on the last legs taxi's but its annoying as you can still smell it.

legend76
    Free Member

haha i know sorry for being snappy. it stinks i agree!

GrahamS

It's why most crashes happen closer to home.

And most accidents happen at home.

And most muggings happen near home.

That's why I moved.

david_r
    Free Member

Many moons ago, I used to be involved in the installation of automated taxi dispatching systems.

My exposure to taxi drivers was frightening. Their general attitude to other road users and their perceived self importance was amazing.

Admittedly I'm tarring all taxi drivers with the same brush which is unfair, but some of the drivers I met were very scary. I'm amazed they could get a job where there is a degree of responsibility.

I guess it's like painters though. If you can p!ss, you can paint.

The PH guys were the worst. The Hackneys were a more refined breed to be fair.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Yep, especially when they overtake me on a 30mph road at warp factor stupid! I didn't realise there was a separate law for these clowns 😆 I am sure there are good taxi drivers, but I have never come across them in all my travels around the UK.

pantsonfire
    Free Member

I drive a wagon usually on motorways and A roads but occasionally I have to do a drop in a town and I have noticed different towns/cities different driving.

A few weeks back I had to do two drops one in Glasgow then one in Edinburgh. Glasgow people let me manouvre no one held there hand on the hooter for 5 minutes because they couldnt get past a bloke even got out of his BLACK TAXI 😮 and helped me back in.

Two hours later I was in Edinburgh shoot what a difference it was horns going, people screaming abuse, cutting each other up and an absolute refusal to give way. Result traffic was bloody awful and by the time I got out of the city I was wound up tight as a drum and feeling like I was going to have a heart attack.

London considering the size and the amount of traffic isnt too bad the worst I have ever been in Bristol where everyone seemed to be on angry pills and I saw three accidents in the space of a couple of miles.

ourmaninthenorth

I've met a few nice can drivers (I can take a cab home after 9pm from work), but I have been scared sh*tless by so many.

It seems to be something to do with the way that the job is so tiring and wears them down that they become sloppy in their attitudes and decision making. "Oh, it's only just turned red, I'll just carry on" or "I'm doing a u-turn and the rest opf you can f*** off".

I don't GAS whether the testing standard is any higher – these aren't HGVs – but being a "porfessoinal" driver does bring with it additional responsibilities. Instead of (a) thinking the world owes you a living and (b) thinking that you have more "right" to be on the road, consider how your behavious affects other road users.

kimbers

is it really ok for a taxi driver to stop to pick up/ set down on double yellows?

i thought that was ilegal? either way its a right pain in the arse especially when its blocking a cycle lane, though to be fair its not just taxi drivers, though i was nearly taken out by a black cab a while back who swerved over cutting me up without indicating to pick up 2 babes at a roundabout, i called him a **** and went on my way, he caught me up at the next set of lights and repeatedly said i wasnt visible enough (2 flashing LEDs at each end a luminous yellow jacket) and shouldnt be cycling on such a busy road anyway (near buck palace)

the green disc ones seem much worse, regularly running reds/ amber by flooring the accelrator, not indicating- especialy at roundabouts and when ive got taxis home at 3 or 4 am coming out of a club can honestly say ive been terrified on a some occasions as they race to get back and pick up the next fare, with little or no concern for other vehicles/ people, speed limits or traffic regulations

toby1

Got a cab home on Saturday night from Cambridge station, 50mph all the way (on 30 mph) roads of course, except for the one dip in speed near a speed camera.

But then it was 2am and there were no cyclists on the road at the time.

Personally I'm not a massive fan, but some are good and some are bad, example being the cabbie who just reversed out onto the road from a drop off on the one and only hill in Cambridge, forcing a girl on a shopper style bike to pull the most stylish skid/step off I've seen in a while, when I suggested he should have looked first, politely of course – he told me to "**** OFF". I could happily see him dead.

MrOvershoot

Well the PH ones in Liverpool are some of the slowest drivers I have ever seen! At traffic lights they will edge forward as though they are on a starting grid, then when the lights go green they will move off after a 10 second delay at a speed close to that of a glacier!!!
    The black cabs are usually OK unless they have seen a fair on the other side of the road as then its high speed U turn city

MartynS

professional drivers my arse.. mini cab drivers generally seem to have got there licences from a cornflake packet.
    I had one doze off when he was driving me to the airport, and they are just a menace generally

Onzadog
    Free Member

They can pick up on double yellows as anyone can (if it's just a double yellow). You can board and alight, you can load and unload, you just can't wait.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘are taxi drivers that bad!’ is closed to new replies.