Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Are my Revs knackered?
  • Scapegoat

I recently got a SH 150 Revelation fork. The seller described them as having a gouge in the lower leg but when it arrived the gouge turns out to be a dent. I’ve just got round to fitting them and setting them up, and I was puzzled to find I can’t get more than 120mm travel out of them. There’s about 150-160mm of stanchion showing, but even with all the air out I can’t get them to move past the 120mm mark, still less bottom out. I kinda suspect the dent in the lower (which is in about the right place) is stopping the fork compressing all the way.

Before I kick up a fuss with the seller, can I just make sure I’m going about this the right way? I let all the air out of the positive chamber, then out of the negative chamber, then tried to compress the fork. Is that the right way round? Should the stanchion travel all the way into the lower?

Scapegoat

And while I’m at it, a spacered fork sits shorter, rather than simply compressing less, right?

Dickyboy

a spacered fork sits shorter, rather than simply compressing less, right

correct

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

2nd question – yes
    Original question – it might be an internal oil leak restricting travel but if I were you I’d be after a refund. I can’t see how cast magnesium lowers could be dented. I’d have thought they’d crack.

LoCo
    Free Member

The fork should fully compress with air out, it may not if there is too much oil in the damper chamber and /or the lowers, however if there’s a signifcant dent in them surely you’re going to send them back anyway? 😕

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yes. The stanchion should go all the way in if you let out all of both air chambers. Kick up a fuss.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Wot LoCo said too.

andyl
    Free Member

I think it should be negative and then positive (and the reverse for re-filling). Could be hydraulic lock from a seal problem. I remember when my damper oil was dumped into the lower leg which locked the fork out nicely.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It doesn’t make the blindest bit of difference what order you let air OUT 🙂

Scapegoat

LoCo – Member
    The fork should fully compress with air out, it may not if there is too much oil in the damper chamber and /or the lowers, however if there’s a signifcant dent in them surely you’re going to send them back anyway?

In which case I’ll do a quick lower leg service and make sure the oil’s all sorted and see whether they work properly then. While the leg’s off I can see whether there’s any internal damage.

If I tip out the oil from the damper side are you saying it should compress properly then?

I can live with the dent/gouge, as long as it doesn’t stop them working properly, they were only £160.00

LoCo
    Free Member

Best thing to do is remove the lowers, and see if you can compress the rebound rod fully, not to far or you’ll push it into the leg 😉

Most likely issue is the seal head seal has ‘blown’ allowing damper oil into the lowers, I expect the lockout doesn’t work till about 10/15mm into the travel right? 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Why would you even bother to mess with them though? Just get a refund.

LoCo
    Free Member

Pictures of dent/gouge needed before answering that one PP 😉

Scapegoat

Right. Lowers off, and there’s no sign of the dent on the inside, so that’s discounted. I bought them knowing they had a bit of damage to the lower, so OCD or not, I’m OK with the gouge.

I then took out the MOCO and whaddaya know? The upper chamber is about 3/4 full of oil. I didn’t measure it on the way out, but even by eye I reckon that was too much.

I’m gonna put them back together with the right amount of oil and ride this weekend. At the same time I’ll order one of evilhomer’s seal kits and give them a proper strip and seal job next week.

PP, they were only £160. I bought them expecting to have to service them, and knowing about the gouge, so I’m cool, honest!

shepleg
    Free Member

Kind of wondering why you even bothered starting a thread if you’re not bothered and know all the answers 😕

Scapegoat

shepleg – Member
    Kind of wondering why you even bothered starting a thread if you’re not bothered and know all the answers

Eh? Thanks to Peter and Loco’s advice I have discounted the dent as the cause of the loss of travel, and at Loco’s suggestion looked to see whether there was too much oil in the damper, which there was. So thanks to them the problem has been sorted. If I hadn’t asked, I wouldn’t have realised the oil was the problem. The dent is a red herring. As long as it isn’t affecting the performance, I bought the fork knowing it was there, so insisting ion a refund would be pretty pissy wouldn’t it.

I was only making sure there wasn’t a problem I could fix before I lit the torch and sharpened the pitchfork.

Just tell me how your post has helped again?

Scapegoat

Loco Peter and Andyl

Thank you for your advice. I’ve got them up and running. I’ll still do the seal change after the weekend, but they’re working as they should now. Appreciated.

hora
    Free Member

They were only 160 with a dent and needing a service

Merlin were/are knocking out full warranty Revs/Sektors at not that much more.

Send them back.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Merlin were/are knocking out full warranty Revs/Sektors at not that much more.

Well, if not much more equals double that price, then yes….. 🙄

hora
    Free Member

270 for 2yrs warranty = 110 more with no dent and no need to buy new seals?

Scapegoat

Jesus!

I bought a secondhand fork. It had a bit of a scuff. I bought it for what I consider to be a reasonable amount, knowing it was scuffed/dented/gouged. When I came to fit it it wouldn’t compress all the way.

I asked on here whether the damage was likely to be the reason for the loss of travel, in which case I’d seek a refund.

I also asked whether there might be something else causing the loss of travel. I was given some pointers and went out to the garage to investigate.

One of the problems suggested was too much oil in the damper. There was too much oil in the damper. The dent was not causing a performance issue.

I changed the oil and checked the rest of the fork while it was stripped.

To be on the safe side I have ordered an £8.75 kit of seals and crush washers. I already have several containers of oil in the garage. I’d have changed the seals anyway within a few weeks, no big deal. Really, I mean no big deal.

I put the fork back together and it works.

I’m happy.

Now they work I like them.

I always put new seals in secondhand forks. It doesn’t cost much, and then I know the service interval myself, and know how well it’s been done. .

I don’t want a refund. I don’t need one because the fork works.

Thank you all for your invaluable input.
    By the way Hora, £110 is a pretty large proportion of £160. 68% in fact.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I love a happy ending. All hail the font of all knowledge that is STW.
    Scapegoat – DONT bite!

Dickyboy

Nice one, good to hear it got sorted.

ononeorange

Good course of action Scapegoat, glad you got sorted and thanks for an interesting and helpful thread.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Are my Revs knackered?’ is closed to new replies.