• This topic has 173 replies, 82 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by core.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 174 total)
  • Are 29ers really dead
  • TooTall
    Free Member

No – but I own more than one type of bike as I am sure many on here do – you may not. I wanted a 29er for years before they became readily available in the UK. Got one and never ridden 26″ since.

Northwind

Tootall, maybe you misread my post- that’s exactly what I’m saying, 29ers are for selling more bikes to the existing customers. But none of that helps broaden the market and appeal to more people, it just retargets the same people.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Won’t they always have a place for XC racing?

scottfitz
    Free Member

Won’t they always have a place for XC racing?

Yes roadies struggle on 26ers

wobbliscott
    Free Member

This really is nothing new. You looks at virtually any other sport with kit and developments that have not been demanded from the market have all transformed the respective sports. I’m not saying 29ers will transform biking, far from it, but the concept that all developments have to be demanded from the market is wrong. Often the market had no idea. 29ers are an evolution that may only provide benefits in some areas of the sport. The idea that all MTB’s should have the same sized wheels no matter what your doing with them is just daft. Just the same as saying all suspension bikes should be 120mm, no longer, no shorter.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

The idea that all MTB’s should have the same sized wheels no matter what your doing with them is just daft

I see this said/written a lot and reluctantly agree. Many of us – despite the fact we own more than one bike – believe that maybe, just maybe, there is that magical “one bike” that will serve all our mountain biking needs with aplomb. The emergence of 3 wheel sizes (excluding dirt/BMX etc) takes us further away from that Holy Grail and we don’t like it.

The thing is, the actual size of the wheels is incidental. It’s the fact that we now have to deal with more than one size that grates.

roverpig

While having different options for wheel size does allow you to tune the bike a bit more for the intended purpose, it doesn’t really change anything. You can still ride pretty much anything on pretty much any bike and no bike, regardless of wheel size, will be ideal everywhere.

maico
    Free Member

Northwind – Member

I was shopping for an “entry level quality bike” the other day for a friend, and tbh I’d not really thought about that end of the market recently… And it turns out, if you’re buying a first bike, you’re almost certainly buying a 26er, or a stinker.

29ers are still rare, and the ones that are out there are horribly specced. Suntour XCMs on a £750 bike, ffs! I’d spotted the Genesis Mantles at Glentress and assumed it was about a £450 bike. The only one that I could recommend was the Voodoo- now discontinued. There’s a Cannondale that looks OK til you notice it’s a singlespeed.

Your wrong, there are a number of 29ers out there for under £700 with decent suspension:

http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=3005

soobalias
    Free Member

oh please make it stop

OCB
    Free Member

I’ve just checked mine, and they are fine, they aren’t dead, they’re just snoozing.

😉

sailingneil
    Free Member

I hope not, as a tall, lanky bugger I was kind of hoping the 29 inch wheels where going to make a lot of sense for me.

Northwind

maico – Member

Your wrong, there are a number of 29ers out there for under £700 with decent suspension:

Only available in one size (large), with a 2 month wait, and mail-order only so not much good for a noob…

maico
    Free Member

It looks like the large German companies are following the lead of the Americans. In 2013 29er FS models started to appear more and there are raft of new 29er models coming in 2014 from Germany.
    In the UK 26″ with longer suspension are strong. Short travel 26″ are fading. 26″ hardtails seem to be largely extinct in the US.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Some scientific facts…
    If you buy a 29r and are under 7ft tall you look like a small child
    If you have a beard and wear armour with one you look like this

It also makes your penis look smaller
    The extra rotational gyroscopical impact of the wheels is also making the world turn slower
    The extra rubber in the tyres required means an extra 80,000te of nasty stuff is emitted to the atmosphere every so often.

Think of the children

bikeind
    Free Member

Yes I have two 29ers I do admit they are marvellous to ride
    But alas it has stalled in sales slightly more so then what we needed

rOcKeTdOg

Only available in one size (large)

Any size lower and you should go 26″ or 27.5″ little people look as daft on a big wheeler as tall people do on a small wheeler

stevomcd
    Free Member

Still only seen one client on a 29er in six years of guiding. Evidence so far from this season does not show much sign of this changing.

Admittedly one of our staff has a 29er Five. But he could probably ride a penny farthing down the trails quicker than most.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Bikes ridden by riding group in last 2 years:

Quarterhorse (29er)
    Tall Boy (29er)
    TranceX (26)
    Sovereign (26)
    Tracer 275 (650b)
    Sultan (29er)
    XTC (29er)
    Solaris (29er)
    Slim Jim (29er)
    Superlight (29er)
    Inbred (29er)
    El Mariachi (29er)

Soon to be bought:

Mojo (650b)

29ers dominate here and riders are saying they’ll never ride 26 again.

grum
    Free Member

Where are you buzz-lightyear?

The people I regularly ride with:

Stumpjumper FSR carbon – 26
    Zesty – 26
    Meta 55 – 26
    Me – Pitch – 26
    Cotic Hemlock – 26

Some others I ride with occasionally:

Trek Remedy – 26
    Intense Carbine – 26
    Cotic Soul – 26
    Orange Five – 26

This is riding in Calderdale/The Lakes mostly.

Yak

Last group ride I went on had:

29er, full rigid, singlespeed
    29er, hardtail, singlespeed
    26er, hardtail singlespeed
    69er, hardtail, singlespeed.

Thus, I concur that 29ers are in the ascendency and 26ers are as popular as 69ers… 😉

and no-one uses gears.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

You guys are awesome then. Wow.

core

http://singletrackworld.com/blogs/2013/04/a-time-of-change/

Anyone read this?

I’ve been hankering for a steel 29er, but reluctantly decided against it, yes they’re nice things, and I like the idea, but I don’t think it’s the holy grail. For XC racers, yes they may gain the odd second here and there, and on flowy, less technical stuff you may carry more speed, but for the vast majority of riders, there is just no point, is there? Other than wanting one, and keeping up with trends, which is fine if that’s your bag, 29″ wheels are just another gimmick.

650b or 27 1/2″ may be about to take over as the predominant size according to that article – but again, what’s the point? If the difference in all these tests between 26″ and 29″ was marginal, then surely a wheel in the middle is going to prove nothing to 99% of us!

I’m sticking with 26″, if I break something somewhere, or need a tube or tyre, spoke etc, I want to be able to get something.

Being ‘niche’ for the sake of it isn’t cool, far from it, stick with what’s reliable, and the most practical for 99% of people – 26″ MTB’s.

grum
    Free Member

and no-one uses gears.

What relevance does that have to a discussion about wheel size? Or is it just yet another ‘look at us we ride singlespeeds aren’t we awesome’ post. No-one cares!

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Yup

Yak

Nah – nothing awesome going on here 😉 – just a reflection of the surrey-hills and south-downs type terrain we’ve got here.

Mark

The current poll is very interesting so far…

Wheel Sizes! Lets have it then

My main MTB has 26″ wheels (76%, 349 Votes)
    My main MTB has 29″ wheels (23%, 104 Votes)
    My main MTB has 27.5″ (650b) wheels (1%, 6 Votes)
    Total Voters: 459

What is going to be even more enlightening is the next poll which will ask hypothetically, what size wheels will your next bike have if money was no object?

Yak

Ok – fine- ignore the singlespeed bit. But there are more 29ers than anything else given the fast rolling terrain. If we were somewhere else, then i’m sure a different wheelsize, maybe to accommodate more travel, would be appropriate.

Northwind

Grum- I took that as a poke at anyone who thinks they can draw any conclusions from their local riding scene or their mates.

martymac

both my mtbs are 26ers, i doubt i would buy a 29er but ‘never say never’
    i have a good amount of spares so it makes sense to me to stick with what ive got.
    if i get to a point where i am bikeless and looking for something then i will test and buy whatever i like at the time, regardless of wheelsize.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

South West (Mendip, Qs, Exmoor, Dartmoor) + ram raids on Lakes and Welsh trail centres.

We recently took these bikes to Sierra Nevada and all it’s tight, very rocky switchbacks, and were a bit concerned the long wheelbases would be a problem. They certainly were more challenging to get around than the smaller bike (mojo SLD 26er) but were OK. And the pay-off was on the faster, steeper, rougher sections when they flew.

As someone who’s still enjoying* riding a 26er HT, I’m not writing 26ers off by any means. But there is something good about longer, bigger wheeled bikes.

Yak

Northwind – basically yes.

Its ridiculous to base anything on your local patch, but that is what we relate to for our bike choices. So, from whatever the choice is (26,69,27.5,29,32) we’ll pick what suits us best. If the choice, as dictated by manufacturers based on wider global markets changes then we’ll just pick from that. We all want a wheelsize that’s supported by lbs’s, so no-one going niche for the sake of it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

so no-one going niche for the sake of it.

Really this is STW!

stevomcd
    Free Member

Maybe a more positive way of looking at things from the manufacturers’ point of view is this:

“Well, we’ve tried the 29er thing and it’s cool, but definitely not for everybody. We learned loads about frame design and stuff though and there was something we liked about those big wheels at times. How about we refresh the whole bike line and sprinkle some of that stuff in there? Maybe go for wheels that are just a little bigger?”

soobalias
    Free Member

even more enlightening is the next poll which will ask hypothetically, what size wheels will your next bike have if money was no object?

if money was no object my next bike would be a drop bar pompino for commuting

if i still had more money i would book a bike holiday and or session with jedi

if i still had money, i would buy a spanky new campervan and buy a new drivetrain for my existing bikes.

if i still had more money, i would probably stick the pompino up in the classifieds and quit my job.

andypaul99
    Free Member

How about we refresh the whole bike line and sprinkle some of that stuff in there? Maybe go for wheels that are just a little bigger?”

27.5 it is then

core

Purely a money making sales driven pitch, try to convince what you have is shit so you spend your money on something no better than what you’ve got……..

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

THE BIKE INDUSTRY IS Purely a money making sales driven pitch, try to convince what you have is shit so you spend your money on something no better than what you’ve got……..

FTFY

rOcKeTdOg

Why are 26″ wheel riders so defensive? & seem to get really upset because someone else tries something different, it’s all just riding & all riding is good. Once you’re out on the bike no one actually worries or feels superior/inferior just because of the bike they are sat on surely?

Everyone likes a gentle wind up or ribbing but things are getting out of hand in these threads just lately, I’ve been guilty of stirring too but had enough of it now

Right, who fancies a ride? & run what you bring

core

I get that, this just seems to be a really blatant push to force people away from 26″ wheels for no reason whatsoever…

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Bike industry in making money shock!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 174 total)

The topic ‘Are 29ers really dead’ is closed to new replies.