• This topic has 173 replies, 82 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by core.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 174 total)
  • Are 29ers really dead
  • Northwind

rOcKeTdOg – Member

Why are 26″ wheel riders so defensive? & seem to get really upset because someone else tries something different

Because, if this goes the way some people are predicting and a lot of people want it to go, 26 inch becomes a development dead end, parts become less available, values of parts already owned drop. It’s not that hard to understand surely?

Trying something different and selling it on its merits is one thing, pushing something different for reasons other than performance is another…

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes that is why we are annoyed we have expensive bikes that perform the task we need and the industry – realising they cannot get us to upgrade my orange 5 to this years new colour for £1.5 k [ or from 9 to 10 speed] create new standards and drop the 26 er to basically force my hand into getting new bikes

FWIW i can see the point of a 29 er though i dont want one but 650 b is neither one thing nor another and no one i know wants one or really cares tbh

TooTall
    Free Member

Because, if this goes the way some people are predicting and a lot of people want it to go, 26 inch becomes a development dead end, parts become less available, values of parts already owned drop. It’s not that hard to understand surely?

Who are the ‘lot of people’ who want to get rid of 26″ bikes? Are they a secret lizard/David Icke cult who worship 29 as a number? You are beginning to sound a bit alarmist. Things change and I do believe that choice is good. I don’t want a Model T in black.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I do believe that choice is good

Can I get a Turner 5 spot
    Heckler
    Orange 5

All 26 er and the colour of my choice?

they are the they of which he talks [ do you want some more ?]…but you knew that as, despite your name, you dont live with your head in the clouds.

dragon
    Free Member

Most of the parts between all 3 wheel sizes are the same anyway, groupsets, bars, stems, dropper posts, pedals, shocks (in certain cases) etc. Plus it’s not like 26″ rims are going to vanish anytime soon.

There are just as many if not more flipping bottom bracket, headset and seat post diameter and bolt through standards to mess things up.

My 29er with QR wheels, 27.2mm seatpost and 1 1/8″ headset, is already looking old school and its only 2 years old.

Things move on, companies need to make money etc. If you don’t like it take up walking.

Northwind

TooTall – Member

Who are the ‘lot of people’ who want to get rid of 26″ bikes? Are they a secret lizard/David Icke cult who worship 29 as a number?

Perhaps. Or perhaps they’re Specialized bikes, Giant who’ve made a huge push to 29er to the extent that many of their 26 inch models are no longer offered, Orange who’ll no longer be selling their flagship model in 26 inch. Or Santa Cruz who openly admit they’re shelving 26 inch models in favour of 650b, purely for marketing reasons, to sell them people who’ve never even ridden a 650b bike but who’ve decided they want one after reading the marketing material…

Nah, must just be me being paranoid. If you believe choice is good, why are you so happy with choices being removed?

ScotlandTheScared

I reckon 29ers are now undoubtedly dead. Why? Because I just built myself one and I tend to be well behind the curve on this kind of thing. So I probably just gave 29ers the kiss of death…

Do I care? Nope. I just like riding my bikes 🙂

scottfitz
    Free Member

Who are the ‘lot of people’ who want to get rid of 26″ bikes?

Specialized

Junkyard
    Free Member

companies need to make money etc. If you don’t like it take up walking

MUG you are the exact customer that they love so quick upgrade that “outdated” steed or of course take up walking:roll:

Why the antagonism? [ yes I returned it for effect]

It is perfectly fine to love cycling and object to a new standard that exists primarily to make you upgrade to something simply so they can make money. [ obviously 10 speed was not enough for them, nor tapered nor press fit]

If you think this is fine then say so and defend the industry attacking folk who think the industry is taking the piss adds little to the debate

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

my bike sucks 8)

AndyA
    Free Member

Im very open minded when it comes to wheel size, whatever suits you and makes you happy. But i was just reading about the 2014 Spicy on Bikeradar. Comes in 27.5 next year, which is no surprise, but what stands out for me is that over a 2min 50sec track the 27.5 wheels were only approx 1 second quicker than a 26″ version, and that’s with Voulouz riding it. Is it really worth it? Not saying i wouldn’t consider 27.5 if i was in the market for a complete new bike and the one i liked just happen to be that wheel size, but its hardly the huge difference the marketing men are making out.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I just don’t get the complaints. If you don’t want 29/27″ wheels keep riding your perfectly good 26″ wheeled bike; no-one is forcing you to buy a new bike. So stop whining that it’s industry’s fault that you want one!

dragon
    Free Member

MUG you are the exact customer that they love so quick upgrade that “outdated” steed

But I’m not. I ride a mtb for about 10 years before replacing, so it’s not me that’s grumbling about re-sale value and the like. It is the people who constantly change stuff that seem most upset, ‘cos the 2nd value of their frame has fallen, boo hoo. If they liked their 26er so much why do they want to sell it anyway?

Northwind

buzz-lightyear – Member

I just don’t get the complaints. If you don’t want 29/27″ wheels keep riding your perfectly good 26″ wheeled bike; no-one is forcing you to buy a new bike.

And when you need new parts, and can’t find the ones you want?

Or, if you decide to sell your bike, and discover it’s been devalued? If I’d bought an Orange Five 3 months ago I’d be peeved right now, new models always devalue old ones but retiring a model entirely hammers resale value.

I don’t quite understand how you can miss the point by so far. Nobody objects that there are new bikes and new wheel sizes available.

roverpig

I just don’t get the complaints. If you don’t want 29/27″ wheels keep riding your perfectly good 26″ wheeled bike; no-one is forcing you to buy a new bike. So stop whining that it’s industry’s fault that you want one!

Exactly. If you like your 26″ Five, for example, keep riding it. You’ll be able to get spares for it for as long as you want. When you come to buy a new bike then you’ll have to choose from what’s on offer, but that was always the case. The 2012 Five was different to the 2006 one (angles etc) and the 2014 one will be different to the 2012 one (wheel size). But you’d moan if a company never updated their product as well.

EDIT: I can see the devalued point to some extent, but only if you regularly upgrade and worry about resale value. If you buy a bike and ride it until it breaks then that isn’t an issue. Also, given the anti-650b backlash, maybe that 3 month old Five will be worth more in a few months 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

dragon well done for keeping the antagonism/trolling though you have somewhat misrepresented everyones point to garner a reaction …good luck

rOcKeTdOg

If I’d bought an Orange Five 3 months ago I’d be peeved right now,

You buy your bike with it’s resale value in mind? I buy mine cause I like the way it rides, if you’ve chosen the right one why would you think about selling it, I think your priorities are wrong, don’t most of you think ride & fun first & wring your hands about resale second?

If all you think of is value and changing your bike you are the marketeers dream!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I bought an expensive 26er earlier this year. If in 2 years time my choice of 26″ tyres – consumables, not upgrades – is limited to Schwalbe’s excess stock that no one wanted in the first place am I allowed to be annoyed?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Of course you can/will. E.g. Stans will not stop making 26″ rims for those who want them; Maxxis will not stop making 26″ High Rollers; Sapim will still make the required spoke lengths etc. Bogus argument.

Devaluation of 26″ bikes? Bikes are not financial investments any more than cars. I had not realised re-sale value was much of a consideration when buying bikes. It’s a passion thing for me – pure and simple. OK that’s valid.

nickc

That front page poll must have the manufacturers wetting themselves. From no-where and not looking for a wheel change, to 20% of the market and endless discussions on the UK’s biggest MTB forum.

Game changer as they say…probably…in cool offices…with y’know…hipsters in them…and stuff.

dragon
    Free Member

Which will be what parts exactly?

Fork choice will probably reduce a little, but that’s happened before with changing standards for headsets and hubs. Plus it won’t happen overnight.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Of course you can/will. E.g. Stans will not stop making 26″ rims for those who want them; Maxxis will not stop making 26″ High Rollers; Sapim will still make the required spoke lengths etc. Bogus argument.

For availability to remain constant your local shop now has to keep stock of three times the range of rims, tyres, tubes they did a few years ago – sales of each of which will be reduced. Excellent – I was worried that bike components weren’t expensive enough.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Maxxis will not stop making 26″ High Rollers

That’s quite a bold statement 😀 If they can’t see any money to be made or simply can’t afford to keep investing in and running 3 different sized moulds for the same tyre something will have to give. These guys have to follow the whims of the industry as much as us consumers.

Junkyard
    Free Member

You buy your bike with it’s resale value in mind?

he never said that and have you not read a thread on Isla bikes?

I buy mine cause I like the way it rides,if you’ve chosen the right one why would you think about selling it,

So you still own every bike you have ever bought? When you got rid of them you sold them for less than they were worth?

pussywillow
    Free Member

buzz-lightyear – Member
    Bikes ridden by riding group in last 2 years:

Quarterhorse (29er)
    Tall Boy (29er)
    TranceX (26)
    Sovereign (26)
    Tracer 275 (650b)
    Sultan (29er)
    XTC (29er)
    Solaris (29er)
    Slim Jim (29er)
    Superlight (29er)
    Inbred (29er)
    El Mariachi (29er)

Soon to be bought:

Mojo (650b)

29ers dominate here and riders are saying they’ll never ride 26 again.

Another industry boy! 🙄

pussywillow
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg – Member
    rOcKeTdOg – Member
    You buy your bike with it’s resale value in mind? I buy mine cause I like the way it rides, if you’ve chosen the right one why would you think about selling it, I think your priorities are wrong, don’t most of you think ride & fun first & wring your hands about resale second?

If all you think of is value and changing your bike you are the marketeers dream!You buy your bike with it’s resale value in mind? I buy mine cause I like the way it rides, if you’ve chosen the right one why would you think about selling it, I think your priorities are wrong, don’t most of you think ride & fun first & wring your hands about resale second?

If all you think of is value and changing your bike you are the marketeers dream!

You must be loaded! 🙄 of course it helps if you know your going to get a good value for it!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Are 29ers really dead?

The question should be where 29ers ever alive?

WayneKing
    Free Member

I got couple of 29ers ive been riding mountainbikes since 83′ the 29er’s just seem so easy to ride, with the extra grip going up you can just relax and not have to worry about finding the best line and having your *buttocks violated by the nose of the saddle to stop the bike flipping over backwards. I think they are some of the best riding bikes i’ve had.

I’m be very happy if no one else was riding them because it make me look like a more skillfull rider than i actually am, anything that makes me look cool is a good thing (what with the deformities and all).

*i miss this sometimes.

Northwind

buzz-lightyear – Member

Can’t find the ones you want, I said. If 26 inch becomes an unloved standard, shops will carry the parts less even where they’re available. Reduced choice, and increased prices.

If you don’t quite believe it, look at forks as a wee microcosm. 20mm’s fallen massively in the last couple of years, tapered steerers hugely reduced choice in straight steerer forks.

But yes, the amount of choice of new products and even existing products will fall, if this goes according to the “plan”. Watch tyres first. Manufacturers won’t want to continue with 3 parallel product lines- the decision to push into 650b only makes sense if they expect either a permanent 50% increase in sales (implausible tbh) or to reduce the number of lines over time.

rOcKeTdOg – Member

You buy your bike with it’s resale value in mind?

Nope. But I know sometimes I change bikes, and resale value is relevant when I do.

rOcKeTdOg

pussywillow – Member

rOcKeTdOg – Member
    rOcKeTdOg – Member

If all you think of is value and changing your bike you are the marketeers dream!You buy your bike with it’s resale value in mind? I buy mine cause I like the way it rides, if you’ve chosen the right one why would you think about selling it, I think your priorities are wrong, don’t most of you think ride & fun first & wring your hands about resale second?

You must be loaded! of course it helps if you know your going to get a good value for it!

not loaded at all, but i ride my bikes, test ride them first and keep them ages, buying and selling and worrying about profit/value seems to be why others buy bikes though, which seems a bit odd

Northwind

rOcKeTdOg – Member

buying and selling and worrying about profit/value seems to be why others buy bikes though

Really? Who?

garage-dweller

Choice of wheel size is good. Personally I think the 29r almost certainly offers something different/better/extra over 26r in some circumstances (rider types/terrain etc etc). Conversely 26r should work better for some uses and users. What I really struggle to see the point of is 650b.

Production volumes may dictate availability of 26 tyres and rims long term at the better quality end of the market. That i think is the genuine concern of those who.have invested £1000+ inframes, wheels and forks for long term use. Noone wants £20 80a wire bead tyres on their 3k fs bike do they?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

This thread has gone a bit off topic and descended into the tired old wheel size debate again. Inevitable really.

I can see why some people think choice is good. I can see the argument that some wheel sizes are better than others in certain circumstances. What I really don’t see – what I don’t understand – is the belief of some that we can and will see support for all sizes across all corners of the industry. The breadth of choice will get narrower and narrower until one day I’ll get a sidewall split in my tyre and pop into the nearest and only bike shop for miles around whilst on my hard-earned bike holiday.

“Sorry mate, we don’t stock that size. Not much demand for it”

Those who genuinely believe this won’t happen at some stage are only fooling themselves. I have a 26er and a 29er so I hope it’s the cynical and pointless 650b 🙂

justatheory
    Free Member

Lapierre look like they’ll be ditching 26ers for 2014. The Spicy is moving to 27.5 and they’re selling the Zesty in either 120mm 29er or 150mm 27.5.

mrmo
    Free Member

Those who genuinely believe this won’t happen at some stage are only fooling themselves. I have a 26er and a 29er so I hope it’s the cynical and pointless 650b

not a chance of 650 going and 26 staying, too much marketing effort from too many companies now.

I’ll just stick with my 26er for the next few years( at least) and see what happens.

roverpig

I’m not convinced that 650b actually offers any improvement over 26″, but I’m kind of pleased to see everybody jumping on the same bandwagon. As these threads show, one of the big problems for the consumer is not knowing which “standard” will survive in the long term. With virtually every big brand dropping 26″ bikes (at least at the mid to high end) it does at least provide some clarity.

Northwind

roverpig – Member

one of the big problems for the consumer is not knowing which “standard” will survive in the long term. With virtually every big brand dropping 26″ bikes (at least at the mid to high end) it does at least provide some clarity.

Mmm. Unconvinced. I’d say it proves that even a dominant standard can be unhorsed with enough industry effort. Certainly proves again that the merit of the standard isn’t very important.

In general, we seem to unerringly seek out the pointless, splitter’s option… 650b is the QR15 of wheels so why resist the inevitable 😉

wrecker
    Free Member

I agree with mrmo, and am doing the exact same thing.
    Same with 29, huge global multi nationals have invested far too much money for it to fail. Spesh have a massive share of the market and have simply dropped 26 (pretty much), forcing their customers onto 29ers.
    Ultimately we’ll just get whatever the US market decides we’ll get, and everyone will just follow (see new Orange 5).

roverpig

Mmm. Unconvinced. I’d say it proves that even a dominant standard can be unhorsed with enough industry effort. Certainly proves again that the merit of the standard isn’t very important.

In general, we seem to unerringly seek out the pointless, splitter’s option… 650b is the QR15 of wheels so why resist the inevitable

I’m not disagreeing with you. In fact I think that you are spot on with your 650b-QR15 analogy. But, as a consumer what I really want to know is whether the industry will continue to support whatever I buy for as long as I’m likely to keep it. At least if they all jump the same way I can be a bit more confident about that, even if I can’t really see the point of the standard.

Northwind

roverpig – Member

as a consumer what I really want to know is whether the industry will continue to support whatever I buy for as long as I’m likely to keep it

Yep. And now we know for sure that they might just bin it, out of the blue.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 174 total)

The topic ‘Are 29ers really dead’ is closed to new replies.