Viewing 12 posts - 521 through 532 (of 532 total)
  • Apple WWDC 2014 – iPhone 6/ iWatch? / iWotM8?
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Had mine for a couple of weeks. Really like it, though mostly because my old 4 was bordering on unusable. I’d probably like the latest Android phone just as much TBH, but iOS plays nicely with OS X (and more so with Yosemite too it seems.) Was tempted to go for the 6 Plus, but now that I’ve got it the 6 is just about right I reckon.

Also ported a SIM only from VF to Three. Fed up with Vodafone’s useless data on 3G, reckon 4G will go the same way.

Jamie
    Free Member

I picked up a 5S secondhand. It makes my 4 look quite tired.

TouchiD is quite handy.

GrahamS

TouchiD is quite handy.

Meh.

Fingerprint-recognition is a password that you leave a copy of on everything you touch.

Jamie
    Free Member

Fingerprint-recognition is a password that you leave a copy of on everything you touch.

I’ve not used my finger.

Right, time to send an email…

*unzips*

footflaps

I find that Messaging locks up every time I rotate from portrait to landscape which is every time I go to type a message….

zilog6128

Meh.

True, but of course it is sensible to relate the level of security to the importance of what is being secured.

You would be foolish to secure a bank vault with TouchID. It is quite sensible to use it on a phone though as it would take a reasonable amount of effort to break the protection for probably minimal payoff, bearing in mind physical possession of the phone is a further protection so if you lose or someone steals your phone you can take appropriate measures.

It’s also a great help for older people or those who struggle with passwords, etc.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I thought touch ID only worked with a real live finger so lifting a print csi style from a recently used drinking glass wouldn’t actually be of any use to a would be thief.

GrahamS

So they said. It was defeated within 48 hours of being released by an amateur hacker using a scanner, a homemade PCB etcher and some wood glue.

[video]http://vimeo.com/75324765[/video]

http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/09/defeating-apples-touch-id-its-easier-than-you-may-think/

zilog6128

TouchID was allegedly fooled by a group of hackers fairly quickly after it was made available. It was widely reported in tech media at the time, although I don’t know whether it was legit or anyone independently verified the method. It was fairly lo-tech but not trivial. They effectively ended up with a fake print which they stuck on a real finger thus apparently unlocking the phone.

Edit: bit slow. As above!

GrahamS

Of course the solution is to use that guys technique to create your own fake fingerprint that you keep on a keyring and use to unlock the phone 😀

Or, y’know, try Jamie’s technique..

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Interesting vid and clever technique although for it work you’d have to steal the phone immediately after the person had cleaned the screen and touched it in order to get a good unsmudged print.

Having seen what’s involved in scene of crime officers trying to get a fingerprint in real world conditions I’m happy enough that the risk of someone taking your phone, recovering a print, producing a mould, producing a wood glue cast and accessing your phone before you’d noticed it was missing and remotely brick’d it is slim enough to take a punt on.

and like you say if anybody’s still concerned then knobID is the way forward.

GrahamS

I’ve combined the techniques and carry around a wood-glue casting of Jamie’s knob.

Viewing 12 posts - 521 through 532 (of 532 total)

The topic ‘Apple WWDC 2014 – iPhone 6/ iWatch? / iWotM8?’ is closed to new replies.