Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Anyone use a medicine ball for core work?
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

See sportsdirect have some on sale, anyone use them on a regular basis? What weight?

fontmoss
    Free Member

anyone?

RobHilton
    Free Member

Yep. Not necessary but I quite like kneeling on mine.

fontmoss
    Free Member

Kneeling? I mean of these not one of these

RobHilton
    Free Member

Ooops! In which case I don’t 🙂
    Wasn’t paying attention!

Pretty expensive aren’t they? Cheapo weights would do for many of the same exercises – although I wouldn’t fancy throwing and catching them :mrgreen:

Again, unnecessary – there’s loads of core exercises you can do with no equipment.

fontmoss
    Free Member

sportsdirect have them discounted which is why had started thinking about it. I think you could be right but wanted to see if anyone here used one.

sc-xc

I use one – I find it useful for weighted decline crunches. I got mine cheap, and only use it for the one exercise.

superdale
    Free Member

Very good for your abs & core strength. I use one down the gym quite fun also – you can pretend your a tiger in the circus and balance on it on all fours very good for your core also 🙂

ryreed
    Free Member

Not any more but used to. Used to use them mainly with a partner for core strength. Weight between 3 & 5 kilo depending on exercise.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

fontmoss – Member

anyone?

Bueller ????

woffle
    Free Member

Get to use them occasionally when doing a bootcamp or personal training – the gym has two types; one with integral handle, the other without. The former used for crunches, figure of eight drill etc, the latter the same but with lots of more ‘dynamic’ stuff (ie. chucking them around). Not sure I’d bother buying but I think 5kg and 10kg are the two weights I use the most

fontmoss
    Free Member

Not sure I’d bother buying

[quote]

Yeah that’s the issue really, seems like few folk find them useful but I might spend the money on a foam roller. In contrast a few folk on tritalk have said they’re worth buying. Decisions, decisions

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=uhiCFdWeQfA[/video]

ryreed
    Free Member

There absolutely loads of things that you can do with a medicine ball but many require a bit of space. I also think that there are lots more possibilities if you train with a partner. I used to train with a coach (athletics) and used to do about a 1 hour session with medicine balls before the gym and he had me and others doing some great stuff with them and it was pretty fun(ish) too.

A lot of the stuff with a partner involved some kind of throwing. For example, one person seated with back and legs raised while the other throws ball to seated person at each point of the clock around their body and then the seated partner returns the ball as quickly as possible whilst maintaining position.

They are pretty versatile and there are some guides to using them solo about too. If you want to use them for throwing about then don’t go too heavy as they loose the versatility. The way that you use them and the positions you put your body in can increase leverage on muscles so heavy weight isn’t required.

fontmoss
    Free Member

yeah my mate is a former olympic swimmer and is mad keen on getting one so we can use it together but it would have be pretty useful for solo workouts for it to be worth me buying it. Think a 5kg would be good, poss bit heavy initially but hopefully good all rounder

ryreed
    Free Member

Sounds like a good plan…5 kg would be good and prob better for the stuff you do on your own. Not sure I’d like to do a medicine ball session with an ex Olympian! 😯

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Anyone use a medicine ball for core work?’ is closed to new replies.